+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CLEAN those Pee Valves!!!!!

Re: CLEAN those Pee Valves!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Greenberg  View Original Post

To help avoid blockages in the p-valve, I use neoprene tubing (which won't crush or kink) and I trim the end of the catheter before connecting the hose barb.

Art
    Yup that's what I do.

I use a QD on the end of the cath and trim the end so that the QD barb is level with the start of the flare at the top of the cath. This makes it so (on the Rochester wide bands at least) it cannot close off the flow.

donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo's Avatar

Rubber hose is very inexpensive, I replace mine every 6 months. I use mouthwash in the loop after disinfecting and storage. Now there's another use.

Don

RBW Member BrianDinsley is an unknown quantity at this point BrianDinsley's Avatar
    pending

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Piemonte  View Original Post
    I have had a similar experience with my balanced P valve a couple of years ago. I attempted to urinate on a dive but experienced a significant amount of back pressure. Suspecting a kink in the hose or catheter, I over-inflated my drysuit and attempted to manouver the lines straight.

This proved to be significant error in judgment as I had not cleared the way and experienced some pain as I attempted to urinate again against the pressure block.
    That very evening, I developed what I thought was a urinary tract infection.

To compound my errors, I started taking some medication for a urinary tract infection my girlfriend had. This had little effect and 3 days later, I found myself in an emergency room in Las Vegas with a major prostate infection.
    This manifested itself as an inability to urinate and was extremely uncomfortable to say the least.

To make a long story short, I ended up being cathetered (for real) and after visiting a Urologist, was given a long course of powerful antibiotics.

It is my understanding from the doctor that the act of urinating into such a mechanical blockage pressurized the urine into the prostate will result in such an infection.

By all means, clean your P valves. I use either soapy water or a mix of vinegar and water to clean mine but just because it may be clean, you can still hurt yourself with improper use of this device.

Best regards and safe peeing.... Peter
    I had a similar issue at the end of last summer. With my brand new dive suit and first ever pee valve, I decided to give it a go. There must have been a kink in either the catheter or the hose. I pee'd hard but just felt back pressure. A day later, I had a major urinary tract infection and wasn't able to pee properly for almost 2 weeks. Ended up seeing a Urologist, who examined my prostate (ouch!) and sent me for a CT scan as being in my early 50's he suspected possible Prostate Cancer. I had to have an internal inspection of my bladder via an endoscope (also ouch!) and fortunately, nothing was found but my PSA level was reading slightly above normal. As of last month they have returned to normal. Huge relief, I can tell you.

I'm taking my dry suit back to the manufacturer tomorrow to see what they can do to resolve the plumbing issue.

Brian

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

The alcohal content of my pee is usualy high enough to steralize it in use

ATB

Mark

RBW Member ruffy is an unknown quantity at this point ruffy's Avatar
    mk6

CLEAN those Pee Valves!!!!!

I use a VERY weak solution of Milton fluid to flush out my lungs and hoses..so as I have it to hand also flush my pee valve with the same!

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

had the urinary track problem twice , im thinking of going back to the depends and not worrying about infections again

RBW Member Remco is an unknown quantity at this point Remco's Avatar
    JJ CCR

P valve ongeluk doc.pdf

It is old but after reading this , you will clean the P valve..

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Remco  View Original Post
    Attachment 33515

It is old but after reading this , you will clean the P valve..
    Same doc in the orginal post of this thread...

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Vinegar makes me sick. So I have a 50/50 mix of water and chlorine. Flush about 1 liter through BEFORE and after dives. Fingers crossed, no problems to date. But I'm interested in the QDs mentioned by others...

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by TopLeft  View Original Post
    Vinegar makes me sick. So I have a 50/50 mix of water and chlorine. Flush about 1 liter through BEFORE and after dives. Fingers crossed, no problems to date. But I'm interested in the QDs mentioned by others...

I use a QD as mentioned above, trim the end of the cath about 1/4" to 1/2" so that the edge is about 1/8" from the "tip" (as also mentioned above) and have not had any problems. You can get QDs from dive stores that sell drysuit stuff or if you have a home brew shop in your area check with them (or online) as these are also used in brewing and liquid transfer.

Make sure to put the female end on the pee-valve (has a shut off) and the male end on your, well, male end (so that you can still take a leak if you "disconnect" from your suit during your surface interval as this is just a pass thru part.

I also have a one-way valve installed just south of the QD, a bit of safety...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2