+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CLEAN those Pee Valves!!!!!

Monkeywench ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj's Avatar
    Megalodon

CLEAN those Pee Valves!!!!!

A very good article describing why it's such a good idea to disinfect your pee valve and tube.

link courtesy of She-P - The P-Valve Catheter Condom for Women

http://she-p.com/pictures/UEBS%20SPUMS.pdf

RBW Member Rick Inman has a spectacular aura about Rick Inman has a spectacular aura about Rick Inman has a spectacular aura about Rick Inman has a spectacular aura about Rick Inman has a spectacular aura about Rick Inman has a spectacular aura about Rick Inman's Avatar

Re: CLEAN those Pee Valves!!!!!

I friend of mine attempted to pee on a dive, and due to a kinked hose, the cath ballooned with urine. But by the end of the dive the urine had worked it's way back into him, and he developed a nasty urinary track infection.

I always prime my cath system before I submerge, and I squirt mouthwash (alcohol plus a nice minty scent) through the system after every dive.

RBW Member guscabana is an unknown quantity at this point guscabana's Avatar
    Megalodon

Thanks for sharing the article. After reading it Im happy I got a balanced valve in first place.
    But it came with a silicone tube which was soft and prone to get crushed and cut the flow. In a couple times, luckily the condom went out and I get a warm flow in my suit , but much better that an infection...
    During my mod 1, Gregg Stanton (awesome instructor by the way...), make me change it to an standar plastic tube, more rigid, and the problems went away...
    Also before taking out the suit, I always pour water trough the tube and blow it out...
    Gustavo

KISS and rEvo diver Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte's Avatar
    rEvo

KISS Classic, Dolphin

I have had a similar experience with my balanced P valve a couple of years ago. I attempted to urinate on a dive but experienced a significant amount of back pressure. Suspecting a kink in the hose or catheter, I over-inflated my drysuit and attempted to manouver the lines straight.

This proved to be significant error in judgment as I had not cleared the way and experienced some pain as I attempted to urinate again against the pressure block.
    That very evening, I developed what I thought was a urinary tract infection.

To compound my errors, I started taking some medication for a urinary tract infection my girlfriend had. This had little effect and 3 days later, I found myself in an emergency room in Las Vegas with a major prostate infection.
    This manifested itself as an inability to urinate and was extremely uncomfortable to say the least.

To make a long story short, I ended up being cathetered (for real) and after visiting a Urologist, was given a long course of powerful antibiotics.

It is my understanding from the doctor that the act of urinating into such a mechanical blockage pressurized the urine into the prostate will result in such an infection.

By all means, clean your P valves. I use either soapy water or a mix of vinegar and water to clean mine but just because it may be clean, you can still hurt yourself with improper use of this device.

Best regards and safe peeing.... Peter
    Last edited by Peter Piemonte; 11th January 2010 at 16:45. Reason: Spelling
    Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

After 10 days on Cipro I learned the benefit of flushing a bleach solution through the valve, tubing and quick disconnects. I had always used just plain water before that.

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

I've had a prostate infection twice, both times very likely due to the p-valve. Both times it was successfully treated with a 30-day run of antibiotics.

My doctor told me that such infections are very rare, but there is empirical evidence to support a somewhat higher likelihood of recurring prostate infection in those who do have them.

I am now very careful to clean my p-valve components with a weak bleach solution after every dive day, and after that I blow compressed air through it to purge any remaining liquid. I also keep the catheter in its sealed package until I'm ready to put it on.

To help avoid blockages in the p-valve, I use neoprene tubing (which won't crush or kink) and I trim the end of the catheter before connecting the hose barb.

Art

RBW Member guscabana is an unknown quantity at this point guscabana's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Art Greenberg  View Original Post
    I trim the end of the catheter before connecting the hose barb.

Art
    +1

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Quote Originally Posted by Art Greenberg  View Original Post
    ...I trim the end of the catheter before connecting the hose barb.

Art
    I occassionally get pinching at the attachement point and hadn't thought of trimming the excess to eliminate/reduce that problem - thanks.

I've been lucky, however, diving dry for over 10 years with no infection issues. Never even heard about it until last year. It was a couple of friends having problems that alerted me to this lurking problem. Hopefully this tread will get antennas in the "alert" mode. I know I'm being more careful.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

RBW Member join9527 is an unknown quantity at this point join9527's Avatar

I use neoprene tubing (which won't crush or kink) and I trim the end of the catheter before connecting the hose barb

Never E nuff Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Good thread. Some useful information. I use just plan white vinegar and then flush with water. Seems to clean up well.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast