Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cruiser IJN Nachi

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

Re: Cruiser IJN Nachi

The first day we went out to the Yamashiro we tried hooking onto the wreck all day and could not hook onto it. We went into shallow waters at the end of the day and just tested equipment. The 3rd day of the trip we went in the morning to the Yamashiro and the marker buoy we left the day before was missing. The boat crew put together a whole new line and tried hooking it on the wreck. The buoys were almost going under water and we tried to hook some more floats on the line. When we tried to pull up the line to tie the floats on it the line had broken. When trying to hook onto the wreck we would have to drop the hook in way before or you would shoot right past the wreck from the strong currents. I was totally worn out just swimming to the down line and trying to hold on. Took awhile just to catch my breath while I was pulling myself down. There are no hperbaric chambers in the area.In the nearest town there wasn't even a interenet.I had to take a couple hour bus ride just to check my emails. Do not regret doing the project but hoped for a better outcome. I got a actual blue print of the Yamashiro laying around the house somewhere. Special thanks to Rob for helping us out with all logistics and boat.

andibk

RBW Member pagodaphile is an unknown quantity at this point pagodaphile's Avatar
    n/a

Hey guys,

The US version of the battle :

Fuso is broken in two and remains afloat, eventually being sunk by the cruiser Louisville the next day at 10-09N / 125-24E 7,700 yards and 8000 yards from the NE tip of Kanihaan Island. All hands lost.

Yamashiro continues on a few miles to it's suicide from direct fire of five US battleships (mostly pearl harbor survivors). Seven survivors, Admiral goes down with the ship. Capsizes and goes down in one piece.

The Japanese version: Fuso and Yamashiro positions and fates are reversed with the Fuso charging on to the US ships.

Both ships did look almost identical except the Yammy had a shorter pagoda bridge and reversed turrets midships. If someone could estimate the position of the wreck dived on relative to the above position and whether it appeared in one piece, that should go along ways to answering the question.

Thanks everyone for the info
    Last edited by pagodaphile; 4th February 2010 at 03:44.

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

Mike
    Thanks for the info of the forum. On the forum it asked if that was a actual video of the Yamashiro dive. If I remember right there were not any video films taken the day of Cedrics dive. The day before Pims Gates video camera had flooded on a 10 meter dive. Cerics wife at the time was staging tanks and helping out but I do not remember her doing any filming. After the Yamashiro trip, Pim flooding his camera and equipment failures said that was the most expensive BJ he ever got. Of course I had to show Pim around the Philippines when we got there.

andibk

Still Searching matt_reed is an unknown quantity at this point matt_reed's Avatar
    Pelagian

For reference there is a copy of Cedrics original article here Benthic Canada prior to him changing the facts slightly :)

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

Re: IJN Cruiser Nachi

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    Well hes now claiming to be an 'expert in self defense and martial arts' and is teaching them lol!

No electronic positioning equipment
    Shot didnt hook the wreck and was moving at several knots
    Several hundred meters of shot line played out
    "I know the shots moving but we came all this way- Im going to dive"

Frankly you would be miles off the spot (assuming you were over it in the 1st place) by the time you pulled yourself down 400m+ of line!

-Impossible.
    Mike, you just gotta stop jumping outta bushes and ambushing people. Have you no shame! I thought you would have learnt your lesson by now, or that living there in Japan you would have ample opportunity to practice your martial art skills rather than ambushing unsuspecting Frenchmen in car parks! Obviously, with no ‘Four Floors of….” to keep you occupied at night you have way too much time and energy on your grubby little hands during the day.

Be that as it may, as for HIJMS Nachi, well for those so interested, I spent a couple of weeks living on Corregidor Island as a guest of an 'arm' of the Phils Govt searching for the remains of Nachi in the late 90’s.

As some of you may already know, the official position given for her sinking (which plots west of Corregidor, and approx 60m or so deep IIRC) is incorrect. She was actually sunk inside the bay NE of Corregidor in approx 30m/100ft (of dirty water); which is verified by the deck log of the US salvage ship that made numerous dives on her during the later stages of the war.

In my time there I sonar searched both areas intensively with no luck, with the first part spent wasted on the ‘official position’ (until the salvage ships deck log arrived). Unfortunately as it turns out the actual position where Nachi sank is almost in the middle of the main shipping channel into the port of Manilla. Constantly while ‘box’ searching the area we had to break off mowing the lawn to dodge a big ship. And given that I saw nary a rock or lump on the bottom in that general area which comes up more than a meter or so, it appears she was long ago blown apart and salvaged as a navigation hazard (by a Japanese salvage company that I later contacted).

Whatever the case may be, there is no discernable wreckage left of Nachi within a several miles radius of her plotted and confirmed sinking position (as per the salvage ships log.)

Why the ‘west of Corregidor’ sinking position seems to have been blindly accepted down through the years though has got me beat. Where it came from I don’t know. Didn’t anyone else ever read the deck log?

So unfortunately folks, Nachi is gone. But hey, you of course don’t need to take my word for it, get out there and see for yourself, maybe I am just trying to keep you away from the gold!

PS. If you wonder why the arm of the Govt that I was ‘working’ with put me up on Corregidor and was so very helpful to me, supplying a search boat, etc? Well of course, despite my protestations to the contrary that I only had an historical interest, they thought I was there looking for……………………….you guessed it………………………gold! (All Japanese ships carried tons of gold around with them during the war - for saki and sushi purchases in foreign ports I assume - didn't they? (No!) I was assigned a retired Colonel as my, argh, shall we say, guide and fixer, but in reality to make sure that whatever I found was known to them ASAP. Fair enough too, but no matter what I never could convince them I was happy to spend my own time and money just to go diving with no return save the satisfaction of diving an historic wreck. They just couldn’t get there head around that one though.
    Last edited by KevinD; 6th February 2010 at 01:42.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: IJN Cruiser Nachi

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD  View Original Post
    Mike, you just gotta stop jumping outta bushes and ambushing people. Have you no shame! I thought you would have learnt your lesson by now, or that living there in Japan you would have ample opportunity to practice your martial art skills rather than ambushing unsuspecting Frenchmen in car parks! Obviously, with no ‘Four Floors of….” to keep you occupied at night you have way too much time and energy on your grubby little hands during the day.

Be that as it may, as for HIJMS Nachi, well for those so interested, I spent a couple of weeks living on Corregidor Island as a guest of an 'arm' of the Phils Govt searching for the remains of Nachi in the late 90’s.

As some of you may already know, the official position given for her sinking (which plots west of Corregidor, and approx 60m or so deep IIRC) is incorrect. She was actually sunk inside the bay NE of Corregidor in approx 30m/100ft (of dirty water); which is verified by the deck log of the US salvage ship that made numerous dives on her during the later stages of the war.

In my time there I sonar searched both areas intensively with no luck, with the first part spent wasted on the ‘official position’ (until the salvage ships deck log arrived). Unfortunately as it turns out the actual position where Nachi sank is almost in the middle of the main shipping channel into the port of Manilla. Constantly while ‘box’ searching the area we had to break off mowing the lawn to dodge a big ship. And given that I saw nary a rock or lump on the bottom in that general area which comes up more than a meter or so, it appears she was long ago blown apart and salvaged as a navigation hazard (by a Japanese salvage company that I later contacted).

Whatever the case may be, there is no discernable wreckage left of Nachi within a several miles radius of her plotted and confirmed sinking position (as per the salvage ships log.)

Why the ‘west of Corregidor’ sinking position seems to have been blindly accepted down through the years though has got me beat. Where it came from I don’t know. Didn’t anyone else ever read the deck log?

So unfortunately folks, Nachi is gone. But hey, you of course don’t need to take my word for it, get out there and see for yourself, maybe I am just trying to keep you away from the gold!

PS. If you wonder why the arm of the Govt that I was ‘working’ with put me up on Corregidor and was so very helpful to me, supplying a search boat, etc? Well of course, despite my protestations to the contrary that I only had an historical interest, they thought I was there looking for……………………….you guessed it………………………gold! (All Japanese ships carried tons of gold around with them during the war - for saki and sushi purchases in foreign ports I assume - didn't they? (No!) I was assigned a retired Colonel as my, argh, shall we say, guide and fixer, but in reality to make sure that whatever I found was known to them ASAP. Fair enough too, but no matter what I never could convince them I was happy to spend my own time and money just to go diving with no return save the satisfaction of diving an historic wreck. They just couldn’t get there head around that one though.
    Monsieur D'enlay- You old pirate you!. cant believe anyone would ever suggest you would ever be interested in hidden treasures - (other than those hidden in my reaking of pi55 dive shorts) The shear ordacity of it.

When I described you as " a very active and respected wreck historian " I was of course mainly reffering to the fact you are very active - for a man of your age

Talking of the towers I was visiting singapore last week and saw hanging outside a certain sticky fingered indian ladyboy with a very nice australian leather wallet :)
    Last edited by Drmike; 8th February 2010 at 00:59.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2