Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cruiser IJN Nachi

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Cruiser IJN Nachi

Has anyone dived the Cruiser IJN Nachi??

IJN Nachi.jpg

She was sunk in Manila Bay within sight of the shore, November 4, 1944 by dive bombers and torpedo bombers from Task Force 38's aircraft carriers Lexington and Ticonderoga blowing her into 3 pieces whilst attempting to flee from the attacking aircraft.

I have heard a few stories about the wreck but am interested to hear from anyone who has dived her as it sounds like it could be worth a look next I am in the Philippines.

Regards,

Lance

Re: Cruiser IJN Nachi

Greetings Lance, I'm an experienced technical diver residing in Subic Bay,Philippines, I certainly would be interested in researching the feasibility of locating this wreck assuming that shes still on the bottom somewhere and has not been salvaged for scrap metal. I don't mean to be pesamistic but in all likelihood unless shes deep 50M + than I would imagine shes long gone. But then again I could be wrong. Please PM me and perhaps with a bit of luck we can come up with something.

Regards,
    Steve

stvbrit@yahoo.com

RBW Member Rust Bucket is on a distinguished road Rust Bucket is on a distinguished road Rust Bucket's Avatar
    Inspo/Evo

Interesting indeed, keep us posted Lance.

Cheers

John

RBW Member pagodaphile is an unknown quantity at this point pagodaphile's Avatar
    n/a

Re: IJN Cruiser Nachi

Hello Gents,

By coincidence, I was just surfing the web and happened to pick up on your thread about the IJN cruiser Nachi. While I am still in the planning stages to get my certifications, the Nachi happens to be one of my "things", so I thought I would volunteer my two cents worth to your thread.

The IJN Nachi was an Ashigara class heavy cruiser and at the time of her sinking on 5 Nov. 1944, was flagship of the fith fleet, commanded by Vice-Admiral Shima. She was sunk by planes of the USN's task force 38.3, (carriers Lexington and Ticonderoga). She carried ten, eight inch main guns in five turrets.

Nachi had just departed the Cavite naval base South of Manila (Leaving Admiral Shima ashore inadvertantly) in an attempt to escape the US aircraft, running for the open sea. At about 1245 hours she was located about 12 miles NE of Corriegedor (14-31N / 129-44E) and was cut into three pieces by repeated bombing and torpedo attack. Survivor accounts report the bow section sinking immediately in 102 feet of water, with the larger midship section remaining afloat for some time together with the stern, which up-ended. Total lives lost were 807, apparently including about 74 of the fifth fleet command staff. The wreck's main mast remained visible above water for some time into 1945.

Interestingly, the wreck was dived on by US Navy divers while the war was still raging, to retrieve the secret fleet codes and documents. After the war, the wreck was partially salvaged with the mast being declared a hazard to navigation and dynamited. As to what remains of the three hull sections, it seems that the midship section has received the most abuse, with the stern and bow sections potentially drifting from the original explosion site.

As my wife is a Philippina, I anticipate numerous trips myself to the area. I would appreciate any update info you guys might get in the future on this wreck.

In parting, I must share with you my prime ambition in the area. The yet unlocated wrecks of the IJN Battleships Fuso and her sistership Yamashiro. Both were sunk nearly together, during the last ever combat between battleships. This occurred only about a week earlier a few hundred miles to the South in the Surigao Straits, just off the coast of the Philippine Islands of Leyte and Kanihaan. The location of these two ships, potentially also in relatively shallow water, remains one of the big mysteries left regarding the Japanese fleet.

Still Searching matt_reed is an unknown quantity at this point matt_reed's Avatar
    Pelagian

Quote Originally Posted by pagodaphile  View Original Post
    Hello Gents,

By coincidence, I was just surfing the web and happened to pick up on your thread about the IJN cruiser Nachi. While I am still in the planning stages to get my certifications, the Nachi happens to be one of my "things", so I thought I would volunteer my two cents worth to your thread.

The IJN Nachi was an Ashigara class heavy cruiser and at the time of her sinking on 5 Nov. 1944, was flagship of the fith fleet, commanded by Vice-Admiral Shima. She was sunk by planes of the USN's task force 38.3, (carriers Lexington and Ticonderoga). She carried ten, eight inch main guns in five turrets.

Nachi had just departed the Cavite naval base South of Manila (Leaving Admiral Shima ashore inadvertantly) in an attempt to escape the US aircraft, running for the open sea. At about 1245 hours she was located about 12 miles NE of Corriegedor (14-31N / 129-44E) and was cut into three pieces by repeated bombing and torpedo attack. Survivor accounts report the bow section sinking immediately in 102 feet of water, with the larger midship section remaining afloat for some time together with the stern, which up-ended. Total lives lost were 807, apparently including about 74 of the fifth fleet command staff. The wreck's main mast remained visible above water for some time into 1945.

Interestingly, the wreck was dived on by US Navy divers while the war was still raging, to retrieve the secret fleet codes and documents. After the war, the wreck was partially salvaged with the mast being declared a hazard to navigation and dynamited. As to what remains of the three hull sections, it seems that the midship section has received the most abuse, with the stern and bow sections potentially drifting from the original explosion site.

As my wife is a Philippina, I anticipate numerous trips myself to the area. I would appreciate any update info you guys might get in the future on this wreck.

In parting, I must share with you my prime ambition in the area. The yet unlocated wrecks of the IJN Battleships Fuso and her sistership Yamashiro. Both were sunk nearly together, during the last ever combat between battleships. This occurred only about a week earlier a few hundred miles to the South in the Surigao Straits, just off the coast of the Philippine Islands of Leyte and Kanihaan. The location of these two ships, potentially also in relatively shallow water, remains one of the big mysteries left regarding the Japanese fleet.
    Nice info, thanks for the details. Regarding the Fuso and Yamashiro...firstly, Cedric Verdier claims to have dived the Yamashiro already. Secondly I seriously doubt if anyone is going to dive either of these in any way to ID or prove it in the near future. Currents are raging in the area and we are talking about sub 150m dives in open ocean a long way from any help. I'm all up for pushing the limits a bit and getting on deep and unexplored stuff, but I'm sorry to say I think these 2 beauties are out of most peoples reach for now.

Good luck with your certs and let us know when you're in the Philippines and we can dive together.

Regards,

Matt.

RBW Member pagodaphile is an unknown quantity at this point pagodaphile's Avatar
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by matt_reed  View Original Post
    Nice info, thanks for the details. Regarding the Fuso and Yamashiro...firstly, Cedric Verdier claims to have dived the Yamashiro already. Secondly I seriously doubt if anyone is going to dive either of these in any way to ID or prove it in the near future. Currents are raging in the area and we are talking about sub 150m dives in open ocean a long way from any help. I'm all up for pushing the limits a bit and getting on deep and unexplored stuff, but I'm sorry to say I think these 2 beauties are out of most peoples reach for now.

Good luck with your certs and let us know when you're in the Philippines and we can dive together.

Regards,

Matt.
    Wow ! interesting, US Navy reports have the Fuso breaking in two parts and staying afloat for an extended period of time, apparently drifting to within sight of Kanihaan. The drop-off there must be steep. Has there been anything published on the Verdier dive ? This would be of considerable interest to the historical community as there has been a controversy regarding which ship broke up and which continued on in a suicide run. Did he describe the wreck as being in one piece ?
    Last edited by pagodaphile; 4th February 2010 at 01:37.

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

I was there on the Yamashiro project back in 2006 with Cedric and Pim. Worked on that project for 9 months raising money and everything. Quite frustrating doing all that work and your rebreather electronics craps out on you. Figured after going all that way might as well put the helium to use and did a 125 m while cedric went to the wreck. I spent roughly a month down in that area and the waters are outragious. IF you ever got off the line you would probable be lost at sea. There is a video that was made mostly about John Bennett after we got back to Thailand. This can be viewed at Thailand technical diving There video is divided into two parts on the video page.
    Matt - We will be over there in a couple months exploring some more caves. Great stuff over there.

andibk

n/a

personal msg sent andibk

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt_reed  View Original Post
    Cedric Verdier claims to have dived the Yamashiro already.

Well hes now claiming to be an 'expert in self defense and martial arts' and is teaching them lol!

Damn I must be good lol :)

Lets put it this way;

I joined up with CV in Philipines for some diving right after this exped. I was told:

No electronic positioning equipment
    Shot didnt hook the wreck and was moving at several knots
    Several hundred meters of shot line played out
    "I know the shots moving but we came all this way- Im going to dive"

Frankly you would be miles off the spot (assuming you were over it in the 1st place) by the time you pulled yourself down 400m+ of line!

-Impossible.

Even if the laws of physics some how never applied and he did find the wreck the shot would have to be within a few mins swim of the one or two parts of the ship that could be used to positively ID her from the Fuso....ID points the CV wasnt even aware of until he was critised by several leading reasearchers pissed off at his unjustfiable claims to have positively ID'd her.....
    Last edited by Drmike; 4th February 2010 at 02:58.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pagodaphile  View Original Post
    This would be of considerable interest to the historical community ?
    Nobody in the historical community believes his claim at a positive ID given the limited (claimed) BT the size of the wreck and the similarities to the Fuso

some info as to why here: -

Kevin Denlay is a very active and respected wreck historian Battleship Yamashiro wreck film? - World Naval Ships Forums

BTW in his latest book researcher Anthony Tully gives evidence that the Fuso didnt tear into two halves.
    Last edited by Drmike; 4th February 2010 at 03:09.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast