Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Bikini Atoll 2010

RBW Member Loneshark is on a distinguished road Loneshark is on a distinguished road Loneshark's Avatar
    Drager FGT

Drager Ray, AKA60, RGUFM

Re: Bikini Atoll 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    I am hoping to get to Bikini someday too, but lets face it, is it really going to be worth all the money. There are some great trips available out there to dive Battleships, Freighters, Submarines, new wrecks, old wrecks, WW1 wrecks, WW2 wrecks and whatever else interests you and for a whole lot less.

For a similar amount you could have a trip to Thailand searching for new wrecks and diving some historically significant ones, a trip to Truk lagoon for 2 weeks and we all know what's there, a trip to the Philippines diving WW2 wrecks and a trip to Singapore diving the POW, Repulse and other wrecks and still have money left!!

I know what I'd rather be spending my money on!!!

Have a think about it first......

Regards,

Lance
    having worked there as a dive guide, I can vouch that it is a very cool place to dive. Having said that, there are far more cost effective plces to dive, such as Truk/Chuuk. The Saratoga has had major collapses in the last few years, I think those that dived there prior to 2005 will be shocked. Also, having lived in the Marshall Islands, I would like to wish Gordon "good luck" in finding a reliable boat! Unfortunately it is all cash up front in this part of the world, and trying to get a straight answer is like herding cats. The local's will never ever give you any bad news, regardless of the actual situation.
    Any one want a taster, I have some dvd's for sale.......

Diving since 1970 gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Kiss / Royal Navy DSSCCD

yup - if I had the time I could bring the boat I use in the UK to Bikini...that would be a fun trip..med, red sea, indian ocean, south china sea........that would be a trip....but I will bring a boat in from Micronesia or PNG...as they say, life has no problems, only opportunities

Compared with running a trip to get 1 guy diving Antarctica and the Arctic in one birthday trip, this should be do-able

I am trying to bring this in at the lowest cost possible though....I am a Scot for goodness sake!!!

Happy New Year to all

cheers - Gordon

RBW Member stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey will become famous soon enough stuey's Avatar
    Inspo, Evo, Poseidon

Inspo classic, Meg, Deep

Quote Originally Posted by shog69  View Original Post
    Nope, not going to be shocked - I reckon this trip's going to cost me around £7000.
    I reckon you need to double that with the way the exchange rate has gone.
    Cost me a total of 5000 GBP in 2007 (2 us / one GBP) to do one weeks diving on OC and as someone else has already pointed out the Sara is collapsing in on it's self, when I was there the head divemaster commented that I would probably be one of the last didvers to dive her before she finally collapses.
    Stuey

Mike O'Neill Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448's Avatar
    Ft Lauderdale (Florida) & Knysna (South Africa)
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by kybrt  View Original Post
    i have a pile of cash standing by, the big thing for me is getting time from work. 2011 gives me enuff lead time to figure that out.

this is one of things thats not going to happen on a regular basis;

please keep us advised.
    Same issue here. I appreciate it is going to be expensive, but my biggest problem is the time off work - but will make a plan for a once in a lifetime oppertunity

Diving since 1970 gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie will become famous soon enough gordon mackie's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Kiss / Royal Navy DSSCCD

Looking back - the 2007 price I was charging (including round the world flights with stop offs in Honolulu and New York) came in at £3850 and 2008 Bikini including a week in Truk (18 dives) and Round the World flights came in at £4500.

Have eliminated the Oleana (sister ship of the Truk Aggressor) as she sank last year - a bit damp and slow these days

Inspiration Classic

Kiss / Royal Navy DSSCCD

Bikini PLUS!!!

OK - now this is kind of a trip of a lifetime...so I will run this by you all and see if this appeals.

Thorfinn chartered for a month.

Leave Truk and sail to Bikini doing some amazing dives en route
    12 or 14 days in Bikini
    Kwajalein for the Prinz Eugen (and others)
    Sail back to Truk doing some more dives of a lifetime

Round trip of around 2,200 - 2,500 miles (so a fair fuel cost)

ALL INCLUSIVE - £8,000 Sterling per person.

An expensive trip.. but it is unlimited diving, we can plan the expedition to the last detail as it is my call..so flexibility is taken as read...a month in diving paradise and a unique trip

In theory, I could take bookings for Truk to Kwajalein as a trip and Kwajalein back to Truk as a trip and work some kind of standalone Bikini as a trip but accommodation is a fixed unit

The only tricky bit about Bikini now is getting a boat there...or starting my own airline in the Marshalls...so my thoughts are that I am best using a boat and skipper I know and trust and running it as a round trip. I can't move Truk or Bikini, so the distance is a fixed factor

RBW Member trakrat is on a distinguished road trakrat is on a distinguished road trakrat's Avatar
    rEvo

£8000 all inclusive?
    O2 ,HE, lime or eac?
    flights beer and food?

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

my question is dates. when are you thinking of doing this?? 2011 i can almost commit already, 2010 is problematic.

i have not dived this part of the pacific so hitting all the highlights is a plus for me.
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

Inspiration Classic

Kiss / Royal Navy DSSCCD

Bikini 2011

Yes - this started as a 2010 idea but 2011 is now the plan (a lot of bureaucracy to sort) - I should maybe start a "Bikini 2011" thread or maybe a MOD can edit the title of the thread

Ref the previous post - this covers air, food, diving, soft drinks and live aboard. Nitrox is free and O2 is $1 a cu foot. He and Lime will be extra as I don't know how much you need..I will ship a bulk load in advance to Truk from Guam. I did Bikini on air and O2 deco...it is only 55 metres anyway.

It doesn't include flights because I don't know where everyone is coming from

Current flights from UK to Truk are £1700 return using good airlines with non stop long haul legs..this can be cut by doing middle east stops and overnights.

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

i remain highly interested, keep us advised.
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast