View Poll Results: If your buddy insists you bailout, what would you do?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take his offered bailout and no questions asked

118 75.16%
  • Think about it before deciding

30 19.11%
  • Give him the finger

9 5.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Should you bailout if your buddy insists?

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Should you bailout if your buddy insists?

I was going to post a reply to Gill Envy's post in an accident thread, but thought it could be an inappropriate hijack. So here is his post, emphasis added by me:
    ----------------------------------------
    Re: Rebreater accident in Philippine

"But, when the buddy gave his bailout regulators to the victim, he denied."

I've read this sort of rendition so many times I'm tempted to make it a rule that if i'm being offered bail out, I should probably take it and then assess the situation... "when in doubt, accept bail out."

sad news, regards to family and friends. I'm glad the others survived, sounds like it could have been a multi fatality really easily.

g

-----------------------------------------

I dive with Gill Envy once in a while and I have to admit that my first thought was "This is going to be fun" But then I remembered Chicken Little, oh well....

Seriously, I think this a good policy for dive buddies.

What are your thoughts?

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

Re: Should you bailout if your buddy insists?

I would have to accept his offerings as he/she may see something I don't (especially if all my monitors are behind me ), then assess and give the finger if neccessary.

Cheers,
    Hunter

RBW Member bcdiverdennis is an unknown quantity at this point bcdiverdennis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    I would have to accept his offerings as he/she may see something I don't (especially if all my monitors are behind me ), then assess and give the finger if neccessary.

Cheers,
    Hunter
    I would have to agree with you on that one.

Helium Addict O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver's Avatar

To me this is a no-brainer; we watch out for each other. If I find he's just screwing with me...... at 250' or 2,000' back in a cave, we are done as buddies. Now if it's at 20' during deco, well it's game on.

Ted

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

yes, without question.

you have plenty of time to give the finger afterwards as mentioned above.

the rule is: today its him, tomorrow it might be you. if he is your buddy, then you should be able to trust him blindly, so should he.

now, if its just a new pairing, then its up to the experience, but still it should be a rule.

have a nice day guys.

Spyros

RBW Member Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe's Avatar
    Megaladon

It depends. If I were having a problem, yes. If I was not having a problem but he thought I was then I would make it clear that I was OK.

Alert buddies are always ready with the bailout, even when it is only a maybe. In our group anytime someone is doing anything that seems even remotely suspect a buddy is ready to hand off bailout.

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

What is the downside to taking a bailout when offered? I really can't think of one except perhaps you are an OC diver for a minute while you sort things out.

The downside potential of refusing... well, that is why this thread was started in the first place.

It would be a good rule to adopt and I will be teaching that mindset in every class from now on.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

I had a CO2 incident where my buddy asked me if I was OK, I felt annoyed but gave him an OK. The second time he asked a minute later I was getting pissed but a few seconds later I could hear him yell "bailout!". I finally did and was only then when I experienced what could best be described as emerging from a fog, did I realize I was in trouble. There was a video of the whole thing and when I saw how I was swimming there was no doubt I was messed up.
    So long answer, I will never refuse bailout when offered.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Hello,

It's an easy answer: There is no downside in accepting the proffered bailout -- and potentially horrible downsides of not doing so. I will always take it.

Sincerely,

Paul
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

Mr Fox Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox's Avatar
    Sentinel

KISS

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Diver  View Original Post
    To me this is a no-brainer; we watch out for each other. If I find he's just screwing with me...... at 250' or 2,000' back in a cave, we are done as buddies.
    pretty much sums it up for me. Even on deco i wouldn't mess with someone like that, way too much to go wrong and too much at stake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast