+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 day trip - limited freshwater - how to clean / flush your RB?

RBW Member Geriatrix is an unknown quantity at this point Geriatrix's Avatar

Question 3 day trip - limited freshwater - how to clean / flush your RB?

Please excuse the ignorance shown in this thread. New to RBs and your world after 40 odd years OC diving! Has anyone had to handle 2/3 day trips at sea without fresh running water on board? Would I be able to clean / flush out hoses, counterlungs etc sufficiently enough diving my Rebreather (InspirationNV) twice a day with say one 25litre gerrycan of fresh water and a bit of hose? Am I asking for trouble, being completrely ridiculous, or has anyone perhaps been in a similar situation? This would probably be the extreme situation as hopefully at some anchorages there would be access to running fresh water. I hope this is not too much of a * how long is a piece of string ? *sort of question! If anyone has been in this sort of situation I would be most grateful for any tips. Thanks Angus

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: 3 day trip - limited freshwater - how to clean / flush your RB?

I often do a week without cleening the loop or CLs in coldish weather. In hot climates I am more festidious.

In future on the rEvo id flush the bottom dum through with warm water as it got salted up and leaked on the last dive.

ATB

Mark

Prism 'prentice Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike's Avatar
    Prism

I do a 10 day liveaboard trip in the tropics each year with 5 - 7 other CCR divers. In the last three years I think I have seen someone clean their loop about 6 times in total. Two of them were floods, two were me, and I can't remember the others

It doesn't seem to make a difference.

This year I made up a litre of solution (whatever it is that DRE sells) and rinsed with it at the start of the trip, and again half way through it. Not sure if it achieved anything, but gave me something to do.

3 day trip? I really wouldn't worry.

Mike

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

At Innerspace I cleaned my loop twice during the week.
    Recent 8 diving day cave diving trip I cleaned it twice.
    When I dive every weekend - I clean it Thursday or Friday before.

I would not hesitate letting it sit closed up for a 2-3 days w/o rinsing/disinfecting.

-Tim

RBW Member sofnolime is an unknown quantity at this point sofnolime's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

On trips like this with the Inspiration I just drain the exhale lung and the exhale hose from the mouthpiece to the T. Not had any problems with this on trips upto 10 days. I just like to get the worst of the diver produced fluids out of the loop at the end of the day.

Jock

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

On a 3 day trip I'd just drain out the exhale hose and then wash a cupful of water through it if I was feeling keen!

Neil

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

You only need 500ml to give it a good rinse, on week trips I usually just rinse it once of twice then clean it when I get home afterwards.

RBW Member craigw is an unknown quantity at this point craigw's Avatar
    Dolphin scr

what are some of the options for cleaning solution... I am in Thailand with little to no resorces around..

Someone told me detol diluted with water...??? Will this damage the breathing bags, or does anyone have any other solutions or ideas..

Thanks

RBW Member Geriatrix is an unknown quantity at this point Geriatrix's Avatar

Ben, Neil, Jock Tim, Mike & Mark, thanks guys, really appreciate the advice!! You have put my mind at rest!! With your advice and experiences, and after a few hours diving one I am beginning to realize rebreathers are not quite as fragile as I imagined.

Craig, I did see something on alternative antiseptic cleaning agents and if I can find it I will reply but Im sure someone far more experienced than I will come to your aid.

Thanks again guys!
    Angus

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

like others are saying, I wouldn't bother cleaning it. Just dump the excess fluid. remember, you have one way valves assuring that anything biologic gets passed through a rather high PH scrubber/filter... everything on the inhale side is close to Lab sterile.

You can always rinse the exhale side of the counter lung out with some salt water to get rid of excess "lung butter"... mmm, don't you love that term!

I never use disinfectant, just run fresh water through the hoses, more routinely rinsing the exhale side of things.

haven't died once yet!
    g

Gill Envy

+ Reply to Thread