+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Divers with a PFO for a Research Study

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Looking for Divers with a PFO for a Research Study

As many of you know, I am an interventional cardiologist with an interest in diving medicine. Along those lines, I close PFOs for selected divers who have suffered DCS (some of whom are members of this forum).

Petar DeNoble (of DAN) and I are coordinating a study of divers with PFO who have suffered DCS. It will include those who have had their PFO closed as well as those who have not. Our plan is to get a diving history and to follow these divers for several years.

If you might be interested in participating in this study or know someone who might be interested please PM me or email me at debersole@pol.net. (this includes those of you Iíve worked on previously!). I will gladly review the details of our investigation with you, show you the protocol (once we have it finalized), and go over the consent form.

Douglas Ebersole, MD
    Watson Clinic LLP
    1600 Lakeland Hills Blvd.
    Lakeland, Florida 33805

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Re: Looking for Divers with a PFO for a Research Study

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post

As many of you know, I am an interventional cardiologist with an interest in diving medicine. Along those lines, I close PFOs for selected divers who have suffered DCS (some of whom are members of this forum).

Petar DeNoble (of DAN) and I are coordinating a study of divers with PFO who have suffered DCS. It will include those who have had their PFO closed as well as those who have not. Our plan is to get a diving history and to follow these divers for several years.

If you might be interested in participating in this study or know someone who might be interested please PM me or email me at debersole@pol.net. (this includes those of you Iíve worked on previously!). I will gladly review the details of our investigation with you, show you the protocol (once we have it finalized), and go over the consent form.

Douglas Ebersole, MD
    Watson Clinic LLP
    Lakeland, Florida 33805
    Hi Doug
    i'm in but dont hold my dives against me!!!

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Is it true that SuperGlue is used to close a PFO?

Could this type of intervention make for a cool video, or would that dissuade people from getting it closed?

RBW Member gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas's Avatar
    Megalodon

RB80 Clone, CastoroC96, RGU

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post

Douglas Ebersole, MD
    Watson Clinic LLP
    Lakeland, Florida 33805

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Thanks, everyone. I've gotten about 10-15 people who are interested so far. We're looking for about 50. If you or anyone you know would consider participating, let me know.

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Can a routine exam detect a PFO or is it a specialized test?

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Can a routine exam detect a PFO or is it a specialized test?
    Large PFOs can sometimes be detected with a simple trans thoracic echo, but the definitive test is a trans esophageal echo (TEE). More involved and invasive.

KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Agreed. Occasionally, PFOs are large enough to be deomonstrated on a standard transthoracic (from the chest) echo with color flow imaging. However, usually they require an injection of agitated saline (bubbles) to be seen. Even then you can miss them on transthoracic echo. The best test is, indeed, a transesophageal echo (the probe is placed in the esophagus) with agitated saline.

A less invasive alternative is to do transcranial doppler where bubbles are injected into a vein and a doppler used to "listen" for bubbles coming up to the head. If there is no shunt present, the bubbles should all be filtered by the lungs. The advantage of this test is that it tells you if there is a shunt somehere but it doesn't tell you if it's something easily correctable (like a PFO) or very difficult/impossible (intra-pulmonary shunting in the lungs).

Again, thanks to everyone for their willingness to participate. And we're still looking for more people -- we're equally interested in those with PFO who have had them closed as well as those who elected not to close them as we want to see if there is any benefit to closing them in this population.

Doug

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

Now there's valuable research.
    Email sent.

KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast