+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That "Unintended Consequences" thing....

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

That "Unintended Consequences" thing....

Hey Gang,

Over in the homebuilt rebreather forum, we've got a running thread on building a "DIY Tempstik". http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=29238

I've gotten to having a working prototype, (towards the bottom of page 2) and am looking at scaling the prototype's pcb down to fit into my scrubber, as some couch dive testing/data gathering is the next phase.

As I look at putting a strip of circuit board with sensors on it running virtually the length of my scrubber bed, I wonder if an Unintended Consequence, may be that it creates a channeling path, and if I plan the pcb length to allow it to go in at an angle, might it mitigate the channeling risk?

Hoping you guys might have some thoughts on this,

Darlene

RBW Member WD8CDH is an unknown quantity at this point WD8CDH's Avatar
    Homebuilt mCCRs, eSCR

MK15, Electrolung, others

Re: That "Unintended Consequences" thing....

I don't think that a temp stick running straight down the scrubber would cause any more risk to channeling than a clamp rod down the middle. I think running it at an angle would cause more of a risk if you are not carefull with packing the scrubber.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Interesting and good question. I will be interested to hear the answers posted. If you look at it from the perspective of a CO2 molecule I would think the walls of the scrubber would also look like a even bigger path for channeling.

OK guys and gals....we are going to do a sneak attack...stay close togeather, keep your back to the wall and lets crawl up here undetected until we get to the top....then she's a goner.

John

RBW Member veriqster is an unknown quantity at this point veriqster's Avatar

even if it creates some channeling, would it not still show you the usage of scrubber material but at an accelerated rate? I mean the little soda that is in the path would "burn out" quicker and you wood still see when that "channel" has been exhausted and the breakthrough is about to occur, ... ???

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Vixen  View Original Post
    Hey Gang,

Over in the homebuilt rebreather forum, we've got a running thread on building a "DIY Tempstik". http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=29238

I've gotten to having a working prototype, (towards the bottom of page 2) and am looking at scaling the prototype's pcb down to fit into my scrubber, as some couch dive testing/data gathering is the next phase.

As I look at putting a strip of circuit board with sensors on it running virtually the length of my scrubber bed, I wonder if an Unintended Consequence, may be that it creates a channeling path, and if I plan the pcb length to allow it to go in at an angle, might it mitigate the channeling risk?

Hoping you guys might have some thoughts on this,

Darlene

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

I have not experimented but just thinking theoretically...

I would try to avoid creating a void between the stick and canister through which gas could channel.

If the stick is perpendicular to the wall then the surface area along which gas can channel will be greater than if it is flat against the wall.

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

I believe if you can make the surface of the tempstick not smooth, you will introduce turbulence along it's surface, breaking up any gas channeling which might otherwise occur.

This article may explain some of the characteristics of a gas traveling along smooth and rough surfaces.

SpringerLink - Journal Article
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

RBW Member Bosh is an unknown quantity at this point Bosh's Avatar
    Atlantis mCCR

2 gas Atlantis SCR, Homebuilt

A custom central rod with the sensors mounted at different angles is what comes to my mind. With the connection going out the inhale P-port there would be very little trouble filling the scrubber.

Or a plastic tube with the sensors mounted, that fits outside the original rod.

What size are the sensors ?

What about corrosion in this environment ?. All would need to be potted, potting compund needs to be non toxic also at higher temperature.

I want one too

Best regards

Bo

+ Reply to Thread