+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sleep Apnea and Pulmonary Edema

RBW Member Nic is an unknown quantity at this point Nic's Avatar
    Optima

Evolution

Re: Sleep Apnea and Pulmonary Edema

Hello,

I suffered from sleep apnea in high school, I found this out when I went to a friends cottage over a long weekend and people apparently watched me for their entertainment. I believe I no longer have this condition as my wife would let me know as she is a very light sleeper. I am interested in any peer reviewed literature on sleep apnea and UW Pulmonary Edema since I have a dive buddy who has had two or three pulmonary edema hits and also suffers from sleep apnea. If I could get documentation on this I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    ... I can sit in a room with her and others, have a conversation that turns humorous and BAMM! she falls into an unconscious situation...
    Hunter
    Would this fall more under narcolepsy? Sleep apnea from my understanding is more of momentary lack of respiration but the body does kick in eventually except in the worst case scenario as it happened to Green Bay Packer DE Reggie White [http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...ea/index.html] .

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

Quote Originally Posted by Nic  View Original Post
    Hello,
    Would this fall more under narcolepsy? Sleep apnea from my understanding is more of momentary lack of respiration but the body does kick in eventually except in the worst case scenario as it happened to Green Bay Packer DE Reggie White [http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...ea/index.html] .
    I would agree with narcolepsy and she had been diagnosed with that to begin with. She had to do sleep studies and was re-diagnosed with apnea, could be a severe case or maybe a combination of apnea and narcolepsy. She most likley won't be diving anyways, but, still interesting the progression over a relatively short period of time, last 5 years or so with no indication as a child (she's 37 now).

RBW Member JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF's Avatar
    rEvo III Hyb Min, rEvo II STD

CK, SK, CCR 2000, Dolphin, Ray

[quote=Nic;296222] I am interested in any peer reviewed literature on sleep apnea and UW Pulmonary Edema since I have a dive buddy who has had two or three pulmonary edema hits and also suffers from sleep apnea. If I could get documentation on this I would appreciate it.
    quote]

Hi Nic,

I am interested in hearing in more detail about your buddys experience if you both don't mind sharing.

Cheers

RBW Member Nic is an unknown quantity at this point Nic's Avatar
    Optima

Evolution

Hi Jason,

This is what I have personally experienced. My buddy has been diving OC for many years. He is overweight and was diagnosed with sleep apnea when I first met him 6 years ago. He did lose some weight and the sleep apnea went away.

The first time I recall an event was two years ago, where he had an episode where he called the dive and we surfaced. When we started debrief the dive and talking about the good and bad aspects of our dive, he told me the reason he called the dive. It was because he was coughing continuously and wheezing underwater. At first, I personally thought it was the lack of physical conditioning since I know he really doesn't do very much physical activity and he works in cube world like I do and this was a physically strenuous dive (we were cave diving). We took it easy for the rest of the trip and everything seemed fine.

Between this past encounter and our next dive about 4-5 months had passed and during that time he had been diving with other buddies and allegedly did not have an episode (OW recreational dives). When we got together again, we went diving and again he had another episode of coughing and wheezing. We gave him O2 and the symptoms eventually went away. He did go see a doctor after this trip and they did cardio test, asthma test and other tests and the results of those tests came back negative (nothing wrong with heart and not asthmatic).

After the second episode we got together about 8 or 9 months later for a rebreather class and it happened again. It was then that we heard about submersion pulmonary edema and he has come to accept that this is what he has had. He doesn't know much about it and doesn't understand what the cause of these episodes. I am not an MD but I am trying to get as much literature to give him and in my naive opinion to get him to change his lifestyle (i.e. lose weight and start exercising).

Cheers,
    Nic
    p.s. if you want more info PM me and we can talk offline.

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Sleep Apnea runs in the family may Father, Grandfather, and Uncle all have it. I first showed up with it when I was 13. Did the whole UW Sleep Center thing tryed the machine don't like them. I find if I can keep my weight under control that is the biggest help. I also have found that if I keep my sleep limited to 4-5 hrs a day I do much better and have been that way most of my life.

As for Pulmonary Edema, have had HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema) 6 times over the years climbing and the top 3rd of both of my lungs are scar tissue. Even then I still need 6 liters of counter lung for a breath and a half. My doctor is not to concerned about it at all and I have not noticed it to be a problem when diving even as deep as 200m.

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nic  View Original Post
    Hello,

I am interested in any peer reviewed literature on sleep apnea and UW Pulmonary Edema since I have a dive buddy who has had two or three pulmonary edema hits and also suffers from sleep apnea. If I could get documentation on this I would appreciate it.

Nic,

I have published a bit of stuff on this in the medical literature. If you pm me an email address I will send you some papers.

Simon M

RBW Member JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF's Avatar
    rEvo III Hyb Min, rEvo II STD

CK, SK, CCR 2000, Dolphin, Ray

Hi Nic,

Thank you for sharing the information.

It is my understanding that submersion/Immersion pulmonary edema is common and that there have been reported cases of people experiencing symptoms while swimming in pools.

Cheers

RBW Member Joe Botz is an unknown quantity at this point Joe Botz's Avatar

Pulmonary edema! CHF,,sounds like left sided heart failure. Must have a history of Cardiac problems ECT.!

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Botz  View Original Post
    Pulmonary edema! CHF,,sounds like left sided heart failure. Must have a history of Cardiac problems ECT.!
    ECT is typically used for depression, not cardiac problems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3