+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heart rate monitors & CO2 effects

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

Re: Heart rate monitors & CO2 effects

Quote Originally Posted by fireman  View Original Post
    I've been using a rectal model for years...
    would not that produce unreliable crappy readings?

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by fireman  View Original Post
    I've been using a rectal model for years...
    It's not nice to use models that way. They are people too, you know.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by saveourseas  View Original Post
    Question:

Would simple heart rate monitors such as are in use with the Scubapro Galileo computer be able to show us anything potentially interesting if combined with CO2 loop data, or would more sophisticated traces (EKG) be required to draw any valid conclusions?
    I have been using a HRM for running over the last 10 plus years. In my opinion the range of readings when the heart is under stress would not lend itself to a meaningful analysis. Think about trying to control PO2 to the third decimal place.

John

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    In my opinion the range of readings when the heart is under stress would not lend itself to a meaningful analysis.
    How hard are you working when they become unreliable? Would you see those kind of stresses in diving?
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

How hard are you working when they become unreliable? Would you see those kind of stresses in diving?
    It's not that they are unreliable its that they do not stay on a single number of bpm but rather drift up and down when the heart is under stress. Can only talk about myself but when working in the 60% plus max hr zone its easy to see a reading that goes plus or minus 5-10 bpm. I have used 3 different kinds of chest strap on HRM's and they all appear about the same. I am talking about results while running on a treadmill at a constant speed.

A gut feel (since monitoring has not been possible) I would think that swimming in a strong current or pulling down a line in strong current could produce 60% max hr zone. Of course it would be a very individual thing.

John

Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    It not that they are unreliable its that they do not stay on a single number of bpm but rather drift up and down when the heart is under stress. Can only talk about myself but when working in the 60% plus max hr zone its easy to see a reading that goes plus or minus 5-10 bpm. I have used 3 different kinds of chest strap on HRM's and they all appear about the same.
    I am wondering if those drifts in bpm are motion artifact. Have you ever stopped momentarily and held the monitor in place and looked to see if the drift stopped? Why you would do that I have no earthly idea but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    A is A

HammerMeg

I am wondering if those drifts in bpm are motion artifact. Have you ever stopped momentarily and held the monitor in place and looked to see if the drift stopped? Why you would do that I have no earthly idea but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    With the HRM on treadmills you actually should stop and hold the sensor bars....then they do a sampling and show a reading for the single point in time so you cannot see any drift. With the chest models when you stop the rate starts to fall and from my recollection the reading seems more stable but it is falling.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2