+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Balloon Helium for diving ?

  1. #1
    Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Norway, Bergen
    Posts
    487

    Balloon Helium for diving ?

    What are the differances in balloon helium and the helium we use for trimix ?
    Dean

  2. #2
    RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    What are the differances in balloon helium and the helium we use for trimix ?
    Dean
    Balloon He is POTENTIALLY more contaminated. It depends on your supplier sometimes it's pure from the source sometimes (or someplace?) it contains He recovered from empty tanks (possibly contaminated). If you know the source and treatment then the price could well be worth it.

  3. #3
    Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Posts
    774

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    My knowledge is that balloon He has O2 content so little kids don't get asphyxiated from breathing it.......

    so it will just be harder to mix to get exact content of He and O2 you are looking for.

  4. #4
    RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NEDIVER  View Original Post
    My knowledge is that balloon He has O2 content so little kids don't get asphyxiated from breathing it.......

    so it will just be harder to mix to get exact content of He and O2 you are looking for.
    Not here... You can black out from breathing the stuff here (I know) I think that defines the issue with it. You can't tell.

  5. #5
    RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Up North, Norway
    Posts
    446
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

    Meg

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    Because of the price of helium it is common to use balloon helium in northern part of Norway and I never heard that anyone has had problems with it..


    My price on 50L/200bar balloon helium 4700NOK and 6700NOK for a diving grade helium from AGA..


    Can't you get cheap diving grade halium in Stavanger?



    Quote Originally Posted by NEDIVER  View Original Post
    My knowledge is that balloon He has O2 content so little kids don't get asphyxiated from breathing it.......

    Maby in UK but not in Norway...

  6. #6
    Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ontario Canada
    Posts
    306
    rEvo hccr

    KISS CLASSIC

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    Not sure about the processes or companies you deal with

    we have been buying Ballon Grade for about 9 years here. And on our MSDS it is actually more pure then medical grade. According to Air Liquid here in canada the differance is in the tank. They don't clean and vacuum the tanks out the same as they do for medical grade...ie not after each use.

    We have not had an issue and never had debris, dirt or anything in our inline filter we once had installed for several years.

    We now buy medical grade...because they were charging less for it. I am now hearing that next season we will not have access medical grade where I am at they are reserving it for MRI machines and other medical uses....

    They also quoted me an upcharge from $155/T to $221/Tcylinder...

    Glad I went to a rebreather.

  7. #7
    RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Asia, Europe & Mexico
    Posts
    1,144
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

    Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    What are the differances in balloon helium and the helium we use for trimix ?
    Dean

    Balloon helium works better when deploying your lift bags

  8. #8
    Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    As stated, it all depends upon the supplier. I had this discussion with my gas supplier, and here is what that supplier told and showed me.

    The supplier took me to the supply tank of Helium, and told me that the supplier's version of balloon grade came from the same exact source, and was the same gas. The only difference, according to this supplier, had to do with the filling procedure.

    With balloon grade Helium, the supplier would drain the receiving tank, and would basically just connect a fill whip from the (gigantic) supply tank to the receiving tank, turn it on, and fill. With the ultra pure version, the tank would be first drained, a vacuum pulled, and the tank would be flushed so that any remaining gas in the receiving tank would be removed from the receiving tank before the filling of Helium.

    I have elected to use the balloon grade Helium ever since that time, about 5+ years ago. My decision was based upon the fact that I own my own tanks, and I had them filled using the ultra pure method originally. So, I know what has been in them prior to filling using the balloon grade method.

    This is not necessarily the way that all suppliers perform this task. So, you should not rely upon what I have written here in making a decision about which version of Helium you will use for your consumption. I suggest using ultra pure Helium. If you decide otherwise, that's your decision.

  9. #9
    RBW Member scubaslim is an unknown quantity at this point scubaslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Branson, MO
    Posts
    4

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    Same as some of the others, I have gone to my gas supplier and talked to them and have seen how they do it.

    I use both AirGas and PraxAir. I have built a good realtion with 1 person at each place and will only deal with them so that things go smooth.

    At both of them, they stated and allowed me to see them fill tanks (guess that was a bug no no).

    Wen filling O2, welding, tanks are vacumed and filled, Med Tanks are vacumed and filled and listed as Med Grade O2, Avaition, tanks are vacumed and filled and then tested to show moister content. The tanks are all kept in a order that all welding are filled at one time, Med is filled at one time, and Avaition are filled at one time.

    For He, the do about the same. The ballone are vacumed then filled with a very small amount of O2 (forgot what % they put in) so that when kids are sucking on it to keep from passing out. For each grade of He and O2 they keep all the tanks in the same batch. Each tanks is vacumed and then filled.

    I know that as others have said, each supplier could be differant. I took the time to talk to a sales counter when I first went up and they at first thought I was NUTS but we had talk and he figured I knew what I was doing. Each one I told them I will only deal with them. I always call before I get gas to see if they are working the counter and let them know how long it will be for me to get there and will only deal with that individual.

    Take the time to make frineds with them, they can even be a great source for gauges, valves, wips, and stuff like that.

    SLIM

  10. #10
    Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    "Da" Bronx
    Posts
    4,116
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

    KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

    Re: Balloon Helium for diving ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scubaslim  View Original Post
    Same as some of the others, I have gone to my gas supplier and talked to them and have seen how they do it.

    I use both AirGas and PraxAir. I have built a good realtion with 1 person at each place and will only deal with them so that things go smooth.

    At both of them, they stated and allowed me to see them fill tanks (guess that was a bug no no).

    Wen filling O2, welding, tanks are vacumed and filled, Med Tanks are vacumed and filled and listed as Med Grade O2, Avaition, tanks are vacumed and filled and then tested to show moister content. The tanks are all kept in a order that all welding are filled at one time, Med is filled at one time, and Avaition are filled at one time.

    For He, the do about the same. The ballone are vacumed then filled with a very small amount of O2 (forgot what % they put in) so that when kids are sucking on it to keep from passing out. For each grade of He and O2 they keep all the tanks in the same batch. Each tanks is vacumed and then filled.

    I know that as others have said, each supplier could be differant. I took the time to talk to a sales counter when I first went up and they at first thought I was NUTS but we had talk and he figured I knew what I was doing. Each one I told them I will only deal with them. I always call before I get gas to see if they are working the counter and let them know how long it will be for me to get there and will only deal with that individual.

    Take the time to make frineds with them, they can even be a great source for gauges, valves, wips, and stuff like that.

    SLIM
    my local supplier fills baloon grade as a bank (about 25 tanks at a time), pulled to vacuum, filled then topped with o2..
    industrial is filled the same way without the o2.. hp and uhp are filled individually, each pulled and flushed several times depending on the grade... uhp5.0 and above the valves are shrink wrapped after filling..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

    All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts