+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Honest opinions required - Sentinel v Revo

RBW Member Wetleg has a little shameless behaviour in the past Wetleg's Avatar

Honest opinions required - Sentinel v Revo

Hi Guys

Im looking at moving into CCR over the next few months and im in the process of choosing a unit.

I have narrowed it down to two units. The Sentinel and the rEvo.

I want to know of peoples experiences with these two units, likes and dislikes.

I am planning some dives on both to see how i dive with them before making my final decision.

I have my own opinions on the two units, and have spoken to the people who sell them, but I would like some user opinions, so if you could be as honest as possible it would be much appreciated.

My dives warrant moving to CCR, well the cost of a twin 15 TX fill does!;)

Many Thanks

WL
    Last edited by Wetleg; 4th November 2009 at 19:05.

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Re: Honest opinions required

Well you're doing thright thing evaluating the things. Most people here are fans of their own units. For good reason. Much money and effort is spent and it becomes difficult to be objective.

In the end, there is sooo much to learn, and in the try dives you will likely not have a great time with the bouyancy and the breathing. The kitting up and maintenance will be horrendous compared to what you're used to.

Whatever you choose though, you will like. There's nothing like flying in silence, once the unit you choose becomes an extension of your body.

(Well maybe riding my Ducati motorcycle is as great but ...)

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Rebreatherless bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke is a name known to all bwyrwitzke's Avatar
    Hammerhead

What kind of diving are you planning on doing (cave, ocean, extended bottom times, etc)?

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

It's hard to get an opinion on rEvo vs Sentinel. I have been diving the rEvo for about 40 hours and I love it.

There are a few reasons why I wouldn't buy a sentinel. The main one has to do with the main dive computer and the secondary. They are based on the VRx and its variants. IMHO they don't cut it. Even the new version are hard to use compared to more modern computers (see Dive-computers Reviews – Part One – the Delta-P VR3 | Thinking Diver ). I didn't trust that vendor for my deco computers, I certainly won't trust them for an entire rebreather. Also, the Sentinel seems bulky, people have been complaining about it in wreck/cave situations. Because it's so automated, you're at the mercy of the electronics judging what happens pre-dive and during the dive. IMHO the Sentinel has one advantage right now, the CO2 sensor. That's it.

It's hard to get an opinion on both from a reliable source since few people have dove both. Talking to an instructor about the Sentinel, I didn't get great feedback there either.

The rEvo can be bought as a pure mCCR and later upgraded all the way to a five cell hybrid CCR (best of both world IMHO) with a shearwater predator and a HUD/rEvo dream - electrically isolated from each other. It's simple to set up and very simple to clean. Putting the rig on is very easy and it is uncluttered. The dual scrubber design is awesome and the rig, well, the rig looks cool:

I could say much more but you get my drift...

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Hi and welcome aboard.
    Try sending a pm to deedee
    Darek has had both units and now dives rEvo.
    thanks
    Kevin

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Wetleg  View Original Post
    Hi Guys

Im looking at moving into CCR over the next few months and im in the process of choosing a unit.

I am planning some dives on both to see how i dive with them before making my final decision.

I have my own opinions on the two units, and have spoken to the people who sell them, but I would like some user opinions, so if you could be as honest as possible it would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

WL

The sentinel is over complicated and over expensive. Of the two, get the rEvo

Its not perfect, but its better than the Sentinel. All the gizmo's on the sentinel would drive me mad and represent just more to fail. The rEvo is a lot easier to to live with as a unit and being Hybrid it offers redundancy should you have a problem with the electronics. IE you can just dive it MCCR on the secondary display and not miss a dive.

I am selling my rEvo Hybrid and moving over to a JJ CCR. This is mainly for reasons relating to transport on aircraft and because the unit is too negative for me when I dive a wet suit. I only use 2kg of lead on the rEvo when wearing a 200g Santi Thinsulate a base layer and neo dry suit. In a wet suit or membrain with just a base layer i am too neg

If you travel a lot or use virtually no lead like I do, then consider the JJ CCR.

ATB

Mark

Units owned

rEvo Hybrid
    Inspo Classic
    KISS
    Hammer head for Inspo

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Wetleg  View Original Post
    Hi Guys

Many Thanks

WL
    Where is "In the smog" (Your stated location)?

I might consider a Sentinel if I lived and dived only within easy distance of VR Tech for spares and repairs otherwise the rEvo is the no-brainer choice of the two.
    It uses more generic SCUBA components and the non-generic parts are known to be pretty robust (very few complaints that I've seen) and it has the option of the excellent Shearwater computer which is IMVHO streets ahead of the VR£.

Go for a test dive and make sure they let you pull the units apart and play with the guts, this is what you'll need to do to clean, prep and maintain your unit (alot of self-help needed with rebreathers) so make sure your happy with everything you see inside as well as the shiney exterior!

Good luck and happy shopping!

Mr Fox Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox's Avatar
    Sentinel

KISS

I dive a Sentinel, albeit not with huge amount of hours yet and i crossed over from KISS. I don't have any issues prepping the Sentinel and its pretty quick and simple with no tools (unless you include the bottle of beer). The maintenance is fairly simple wash everything out and reload.

Diving its lovely, good HUD and the primary handset has the usuall VR display, you can if you want scroll through a plethora of screens and info, it passes a few minutes on stops but essentially all you need is on the first screen, Gas set-up isn't rocket science, I've used a Shearwater GF and its a bit more fiddly but nothing to strenuos, I like to give myself plenty of time to set it up properly pre-dive. there are all sorts of functions for switching stuff off if you need to and again, any thinking person should be able to do this. The secondary handset is a straight cell reading and having come from a KISS this is quite a nice touch, i've not tried it yet but i'll be having a go at running the unit fro only this handset for a full dive and see how i get on (i've done this on the course).

I had no problems in Scapa getting in and out of holes or being towed by a scooter and the unit felt pretty good, i didn't even need a belt as i could find a few places on the unit to put lead if i needed it.

as i haven't dived a revo i'll not comment on it, no point really.

good luck.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    I am selling my rEvo Hybrid and moving over to a JJ CCR.

...snip....

Mark
    No wonder I heard Dave Thompson weeping inconsolably...

And it also explains the reports I've got that Paul just sacrificed a Live Goat in the middle of the convention floor at DEMA as an offering of thanks to the Gods...

Kevin.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    No wonder I heard Dave Thompson weeping inconsolably...

And it also explains the reports I've got that Paul just sacrificed a Live Goat in the middle of the convention floor at DEMA as an offering of thanks to the Gods...

Kevin.
    At the UK Dive show he was handing out Beers and Champagne, he "claims" it was to celebrate being able to CE his rEvo next year, we all know that Mark selling his unit was the real reason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast