+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RBW Year 2 Project(s) :)

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

RBW Year 2 Project(s) :)

Well guys and gals, I wonder If I could ask for your advice on an idea or two I have.....

I have been thinking about how we can ensure our community of Rebreather Divers can go from strength to strength, and how I can add some more value to our community.

I look at the community and what makes it so strong and see great knowledgable people who treat each other with respect and share their knowledge.

This gives us a massive pool of knowledge of all things Rebreather - we have forums, articles and photos etc. Which ultimatley helps bring new people into our community and our passion!

The slight downside of our current portal is that some times it can be difficult to find what you want easily and publishing articles and gathering information in one place is challenging - I don't know how we would manage without Lou in that respect!

Now my idea is to supplement our online community with the definitive Rebreather Encyclopedia.

Imagine an online open collaborative project in an easy to use constantly up to date encylopedia that seemlessly links to our existing forum. where any of our members could within reason correct articles and information when things change, add new articles etc etc

In 'trendy' net speak it is called a WIKI - Head here to see the biggest in action

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I envisage something very similiar but linking to our community properly eg with a shared log in and when you discuss an article it happens in our forums.

I will need some help for this! I have not asked and might be imposing but I hope our very own louby lou will take this under her wing as she has with the articles for managing when it goes live.

But will need help with some technical folks, and people who will be willing to help with the structure and articles etc and maybe some one who could look at what copyright we need to ensure that it is open and free to our community and no one can profit from it.

What do you guys think as I dont want to invest more time and money if you think it will be a duff idea..

Stuart

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Re: RBW Year 2 Project(s) :)

Sounds good to me, might be able to help with the technical bits.

Confectioner to N@90 Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    I will need some help for this! I have not asked and might be imposing but I hope our very own louby lou will take this under her wing as she has with the articles for managing when it goes live
    Stuart, it sounds a fantastic idea and I would love to be a part of it :D

Definitely not imposing at all and I'm more than willing to help

The site has an amazing reputation for being THE rebreather community and with this in hand we can only go from strength to strengh :D

RBW Member lbihler is on a distinguished road lbihler is on a distinguished road lbihler's Avatar

I may be able to help on the technical bits too

Emoticonoclast dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman's Avatar

Consider me onboard as well.

As for copyrights (Stephan's not around is he :D ),
    I'd recommend perusing the Creative Commons options.

Likely we'd be interested in a license that allows people to share our work,
    but not take credit for it. Whether we limit commercial derivative uses of the
    work, would need further discussions.

--dan

CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    rEvo, JJ

Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

It sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not sure how you would handle misinformation and wild theories though. There must be a procedure for Wikipedia though.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge.
    http://www.shearwater.com

RBW Member jknights is on a distinguished road jknights is on a distinguished road jknights's Avatar

Talking

Looks like you did it
    2018 today.

Well done.
    Happy Birthday all.

Like the WIKI idea it is wicked :D
    Last edited by jknights; 27th January 2006 at 17:57.

+ Reply to Thread