+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 94

Thread: The Under $50 Cell Checker

  1. #11
    I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    184
    KISS Classic

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    hello, would you care to sell a ready made unit for megalodon cells? and maybe an X1 connection?
    If I have enough interest, I could look into making something marketable ... but it would cost more than $50 , sorry.

    One of the main reasons for the low cost was that I already had a system for adding and venting the gas in a controlled manner - the 3-Gas Add Block. Without that, I would need to make some sort of easily controlled gas addition and de-pressurizing.

    Now, if I had a lathe, I could probably make up better chambers too, but as it stands, I don't think the system, as shown, is appropriate for consumer use.

    I am, however, up for challenges, so if there is enough interest, and willingness to accept the increased costs, I can give it a go.
    (Or if someone has other ideas they would like to see created...)

  2. #12
    Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WA, Australia
    Posts
    708
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Another interested Meg diver

  3. #13
    In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cyprus, Nicosia
    Posts
    1,455
    Meggy Meg...

    Got the best one from day 1...

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail  View Original Post
    If I have enough interest, I could look into making something marketable ... but it would cost more than $50 , sorry.

    One of the main reasons for the low cost was that I already had a system for adding and venting the gas in a controlled manner - the 3-Gas Add Block. Without that, I would need to make some sort of easily controlled gas addition and de-pressurizing.

    Now, if I had a lathe, I could probably make up better chambers too, but as it stands, I don't think the system, as shown, is appropriate for consumer use.

    I am, however, up for challenges, so if there is enough interest, and willingness to accept the increased costs, I can give it a go.
    (Or if someone has other ideas they would like to see created...)
    i have a few ideas, but dont have the time, that's why am asking if you can make something like that.

    Thanks. am interested for sure.

  4. #14
    RBW Member WD8CDH is an unknown quantity at this point WD8CDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    112
    Homebuilt mCCRs, eSCR

    MK15, Electrolung, others

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Scott,

    All of the 4" plumbing fittings that I have been able to find have tapered threads that require teflon tape or dope to seal. Yours looks like it has a more useful o-ring seal. Did you modify the fitting or did it come that way?
    If it came that way, where did you get it?

    Thanks,

    Ron Schroeder
    --------------------
    Former Commercial diver, Now Lazy diver

  5. #15
    RBW Member omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    62
    Copis Megalodon

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Go to Home Depot or other equivalent plumbing store and look for a 4" clean-out. They are usually 2 separate parts (male and female fitting). The thread is straight rather than tapered and the male fitting has an oring. These fittings are usually right next to the tapered fittings which look almost identical.

    Quote Originally Posted by WD8CDH  View Original Post
    Scott,

    All of the 4" plumbing fittings that I have been able to find have tapered threads that require teflon tape or dope to seal. Yours looks like it has a more useful o-ring seal. Did you modify the fitting or did it come that way?
    If it came that way, where did you get it?

    Thanks,

    Ron Schroeder
    --------------------
    Former Commercial diver, Now Lazy diver

  6. #16
    RBW Member WD8CDH is an unknown quantity at this point WD8CDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    112
    Homebuilt mCCRs, eSCR

    MK15, Electrolung, others

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Quote Originally Posted by omech  View Original Post
    Go to Home Depot or other equivalent plumbing store and look for a 4" clean-out. They are usually 2 separate parts (male and female fitting). The thread is straight rather than tapered and the male fitting has an oring. These fittings are usually right next to the tapered fittings which look almost identical.
    Been there, done that. Must be a Canadian thing. Even the plumbing trade supply shops look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask for a clean-out with an o-ring seal.

    Is there a manufacturer and model number moulded in the fitting?

    Thanks,

    Ron Schroeder
    -------------------------
    Former Commercial diver, now Lazy diver

  7. #17
    I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    184
    KISS Classic

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Quote Originally Posted by WD8CDH  View Original Post
    Been there, done that. Must be a Canadian thing. Even the plumbing trade supply shops look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask for a clean-out with an o-ring seal.

    Is there a manufacturer and model number moulded in the fitting?

    Thanks,

    Ron Schroeder
    -------------------------
    Former Commercial diver, now Lazy diver
    It must be a Canadian thing, Ron

    I picked up the parts at my local Rona (Hardware store chain), but I know they have the same parts at our local Home depot stores too.

    I didn't see any part numbers of use - it seemed more to be specification markings.

    Maybe it's me, but when I look at the ABS plumbing stuff, it all starts to look the same really quickly - I had to look for about 5 min to find it, and they only had 2 or 3 shelves of 4" stuff. My advice is to go with the suggestion of asking for a 'clean-out access' and see where that gets you.

  8. #18
    RBW Member WD8CDH is an unknown quantity at this point WD8CDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    112
    Homebuilt mCCRs, eSCR

    MK15, Electrolung, others

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail  View Original Post
    It must be a Canadian thing, Ron

    My advice is to go with the suggestion of asking for a 'clean-out access' and see where that gets you.
    At least in Ohio and New York, that always gets me flush tapered threads. Not even with a flange to support an o-ring.

    -Ron

  9. #19
    RBW Member omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    62
    Copis Megalodon

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Quote Originally Posted by WD8CDH  View Original Post
    At least in Ohio and New York, that always gets me flush tapered threads. Not even with a flange to support an o-ring.

    -Ron

    I was in Home depot tonight so I strolled down the plumbing isle. Here's the numbers you need:

    C5818CS - ABS DWV Plug w/o-ring
    and
    C5803-2-CS ABS DWV Adapter (SPIG x FIPT)
    or
    C5803 ABS DWV Adapter (Hub x FIPT)

    These are Nibco parts NIBCO.com - NIBCO® AHEAD OF THE FLOW® .

    all the best tracking down a source,
    owen

  10. #20
    rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    342
    rEvo

    Re: The Under $50 Cell Checker

    Been looking into making one for myself. I'm having trouble finding molex connectors in both male and female, any leads? Plenty of places with females but no males.. Also any good places to get cable, 3 pair or more. I'm assuming some type that is solid as to not let pressure drop thru it, or is this unfounded.

    Tony

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts