+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood thinners and other sports

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

Blood thinners and other sports

To continue diving I'm looking at getting a PFO closed which will require six months of blood thinners, likely Plavix or something along those lines.

My question for the docs out there is what impact will being on blood thinners have on the advisability of continuing to play hockey in the meantime? I'm a goalie, play a variety of levels recreationally, and although I have outstanding equipment remain an accomplished bruise collector (it just goes with the territory).

I love to dive but... half a year without hockey... not sure I could do that.
    I will certainly talk to my cardiologiest about this but would like to go into the meeting informed.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Re: Blood thinners and other sports

Quote Originally Posted by Marvintpa  View Original Post
    To continue diving I'm looking at getting a PFO closed which will require six months of blood thinners, likely Plavix or something along those lines.

My question for the docs out there is what impact will being on blood thinners have on the advisability of continuing to play hockey in the meantime? I'm a goalie, play a variety of levels recreationally, and although I have outstanding equipment remain an accomplished bruise collector (it just goes with the territory).

I will certainly talk to my cardiologiest about this but would like to go into the meeting informed.

I'm sure Doug will be by shortly, he closed mine... I was able to return to a fairly active workout regiment 2 days post procedure. I was on Plavix and an aspirin for maybe a month or 2, and I had a noticeable increase in bruising from the slightest clumsy bump.

RBW Member AzTek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point AzTek Diver's Avatar

After a couple weeks my GF was able to return to a full work out schedule, but nobody was beating her with a stick. She also was able to return to diving at the sport level after 90 days.

RBW Member saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation's Avatar

Hockey is going to be a problem on Plavix. Most folks complain of easy bruising while on the drug, but a good bump from contact sports like hockey, football or worse, boxing, can create severe internal bleeding. You'll have to ease off on contact sports until the Plavix is discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvintpa  View Original Post

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

yeah i bumped my shins and knees when on plavix getting in and out of boats etc, i thought the skin was going to burst open the bruises were so large. i was amazed at how the smallest scrape or bump left such bad bruises. even when you didn't know that you had bumped or scraped.
    rachel

Closed Account jtoorish is an unknown quantity at this point jtoorish's Avatar

Talk with Doug, he would be the final word on this as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Tim and Jeff -- thanks for the kind words.

You would be on a combination of aspirin and Plavix for a period of several months after a PFO closure procedure. This combination increases the risk of "nuisance" bleeding such as bruising, etc -- which can be VERY impressive by the way. It is unlikely that you would have a serious bleeding complication from playing hockey during this period, but as it is simply "recreational" and not your livelihood it would be best to avoid "contact sports" for the 3 months or so you're on the meds. Just my 2 cents as a Cardiologist who is not a hardcore hockey playing Canadian!!

PM me with any questions and I'd be happy to discuss your case in detail with you.

Doug

+ Reply to Thread