+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Tech Transition

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Re: Tech Transition

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    Once your competent then you can do the OC thing for some recreations stuff but you wount want to.. I do suggest to stay away from the tech stuff on oc if you plan on doing tech dives with a CC.. Falling back on OC training can kill you, if you have a problem on your CCR.. The way you attack problems on a CCR is different.. I dread doing any OC diving.. To me its about as fun as going to see a dentist...
    Wow. Thats one extreme of the opinion spread then :)

Personally I do prefer diving CCR, but there are some caves that suit OC better (uppy downy stuff tends to burn dil and add to task loading). Theres also shallow dinner hunting dives where I find OC is frankly easier and lighter (no need to carry a bailout tin).

So whilst I would tend to agree that a season of intense CCR diving is a good thing, I dont agree that you have to bin the OC and call all OC divers heretics. Sheesh, next we'll be calling them strokes

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Quote Originally Posted by EBT
    Sheesh, next we'll be calling them strokes
    don't worry the DIR bunch already are, and us too for that matter!

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by EBT
    So whilst I would tend to agree that a season of intense CCR diving is a good thing, I dont agree that you have to bin the OC and call all OC divers heretics. Sheesh, next we'll be calling them strokes
    I never said you have to give it up permanently, I just said while you are learning.. for people who dive alot it might be only a few months, for someone who just dives scattered weekends it may be a full season..

I have seen too many people that have alot of time on a ccr and are competent with their skills, but when they run into problems they fall back on their OC training too quickly since that is what they are used to..

My first experience with this was a few years ago when I was doing a wreck penetration with another diver, our guide line got cut... All of a sudden this guy started to flip out.. You could tell he was worried about how fast he could get out..
    I quickly grabbed him and knocked some sense into him, explaining on a slate, we have all the time in the world.. dont rush it.. He calmed down and we hung up near the ceiling waiting for the water to clear up a bit then moved on.. He TOTALLY forgot he didn't have a gas limitation...
    Last edited by jradomski; 3rd February 2006 at 17:10.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Nick uk.
    I don't regret any of my OC diving days, and will probebly continue to do both as i teach OC. :o

Allso after 10 years of diving OC it makes me appreciate thay much more the bennefits of CC

I don't think there is a right or a wrong answer, either way could work, the important thing is the end result, and you are happy. ;)
    from my experience, everyone who says either way can work, never abandoned OC during their learning period.. The people I know that abandoned OC generally agree it was necessary..

As long as everything goes well, the "hybrid" diver generally doesnt have any problems.. Its when the brown stuff hits the fan is when the guy who things promarily as a CC diver reacts different By instinct than someone who frequently goes back and forth..

Is it possible for someone to sucessfully adapt by going both ways, yes, but the liklihood of the person reacting properly when under extreme stress is greatly reduced..

Old habits die hard, the longer you had them the harder it is to break..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Made in England. Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk.'s Avatar
    Viale C.Colombo 75 Marina di Carrara. MS 54036 Italy

Quote Originally Posted by scubagrunt
    don't worry the DIR bunch already are, and us too for that matter!
    Yeah since going CC my dive buddy diary has slimmed down some what! :o

People seem to think i wouldn't be interested any more in a 30mt. dive on the local wall, and so don't ask.

New Member Otter is an unknown quantity at this point Otter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vidodivr
    Otter,
    Maybe think about heading up to the ADM's Experience Course at Wallin's Dive Center on Feb. 26th. Click Here
    Please tell me more. I guess I missed Curt's post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4