+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebreathers on the SMS Markgraf

RBW Member ding is an unknown quantity at this point ding's Avatar

Rebreathers on the SMS Markgraf

The players were…..Meeko, Ding The not unimpressive Chris, American rob, Billy, Jason and Robin. And a lot of the dive planning was done with the assistance of messrs White and Maclay. The purpose of this trip was to get to know the SMS Markgraf and I think we managed that. With most divers doing eleven dives of approx and hour on the wreck.

SMS Markgraf Finstrokes divesites

The Livaboard was the Karin as usual.. she has a new engine and is faster.

The deco was not boring as we had company.

No climbing ladders

Allan with a cup of homemade soup ready for you as you get your kit off...

The food was good but lobster again.....LOL

The main area we looked at was slightly short of midships nearer the stern. The shot line was about 15m from the stern where the Massive rudders could be seen. From the bottom of the shot we dropped to 32m There is a broken area and next to it there are ropes hanging from approx 30m to the seabed and there is a hatch at about 32m which was our entry point.

American rob (above) laid a line from just inside the hatch on the right on a pipe flange to the first tie off point about 15m inside the wreck. From there he laid the second line back to the midships and deeper into the wreck. American Bob and Meeko did a deep penetration in to the stern quarters on Friday. The entrance is on the stb side high up through a hatch. Below this area is a wrenched out plate which also offers penetration along the inside of the stb hull with nice views through the porthole spaces There is some ambient light but it is one way so you must come out the same way you went in Lining off here is not essential but advisable. As to the hatch, this is a different ball game and not for the faint of heart. Lining of with high vis line tied off often as you go further in is essential. The areas available inside are worth the effort with many artifact's to be seen where they fell or were placed. They went in about 60 mts. Again if you are considering this one you must be comfy with deep overhead places and be prepared for a 90 minute run time
    Last edited by ding; 20th October 2009 at 09:14.

RBW Member robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante's Avatar
    HammerMeg, Sidemount Prism,

HammerMk15, LARV, Kiss

Re: Rebreathers on the SMS Markgraf

You're too funny Ding. That picture of me is from 2 trips ago! That's the drysuit I had to rent from Scapa Scuba after those dirtbags nicked mine. Below is one from last week.

Sidemounting the bailout was critical to being able to slide into various holes and through the hatchways. I found by turning on my side I could slide through hatches snugly but safely. Jason cracked me up when I popped through a smallish opening amidships, and heard him through his DSV ("****ing hell!") A little later we entered through a break in the bow, and I slithered through a wee crack ("****ing hell!" again.) Entering above the sternmost starboard 150mm gun, I penetrated about 70m, through 6 hatches and back to the boilers. It was quite a thrill to see rooms no one has entered in 90 years. I left a permanent line going back about 30 meters, starting maybe 8 meters inside the wreck.

In my experience UK divers don't mind building huge camel humps on their backs - 3 liters paired with 5 liters on the back, even 7 liters sometimes - but hate to have anything hanging. In the context of steel bailout tanks this is kind of understandable, as the weighting characteristics are just awful. I used to laugh at how the only aluminum tank on the Karin was a tiny drysuit bottle. This seems to be changing though, and I was very happy to see a pair of ali 10's for me to use as bailout; Jason and Robin were also both using ali bailout tanks. We even rigged up a sidemount kit for Jason's kiss stand, a work in progress but definitely an improvement on sidesling. There were several impromptu discussions about laying line, primary tie off/secondary tie off, placements vs. tie offs, etc.

Other highlights of the trip were circumswimming the Markgraf on day 2, pulling that very tasty lobster, snorkelling ashore to look at the remains of a beached sperm whale, and of course relaxing in the jacuzzi/steam bath/sauna back in Stromness at the end of the day.

I had thought one trip a year to Scapa Flow was enough. Now I'm not sure two are.

I have an album of photos from the trip here, if anyone is interested.

RBW Member ding is an unknown quantity at this point ding's Avatar

Re: Rebreathers on the SMS Markgraf

Caught.... was using stock photos as my camera never got wet that week. Although my penetration was not as deep as you and meeko, I was in my comfort zone.

+ Reply to Thread