+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checklist app for Android (sorry iPhone)

RBW Member divestoclimb is an unknown quantity at this point divestoclimb's Avatar

Checklist app for Android (sorry iPhone)

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking a lot about how to make a good phone app to manage checklists. I see great benefits to filling out and logging my checklists so I have a record of what I did and any problems I've had over time. The act of filling out a checklist also makes sure you don't skip anything--I'm a student pilot and I've found that I tend to skip over items if I'm distracted and run through a checklist in the aircraft without filling anything out. The problem has been that it's a lot of work to keep printing new checklists (I make mine on 8.5"x5.5" halfsheets which have to be cut and hole-punched manually) and this summer my entire log was ruined in a downpour.

The culmination of all of this has been an app for Android phones that I call d2c Checklist (I checked, all the good names are taken). d2cchecklist - Project Hosting on Google Code It lets you build "templates" which you can use to produce blank checklists, then fill them out. While filling out a checklist, dates/times are recorded for when an item or the entire checklist is completed, an item can be marked as "Skipped" instead of checked off (this is recorded as opposed to leaving it blank), and you can add notes in between items to record miscellaneous stuff. The process is analogous to having a log of paper checklists: some blank copies and a bunch of old ones with notes on them.

The version in the Android Market is functional and includes a built-in tutorial, but I'm still working on the last feature that I consider essential: XML import/export of templates and checklists. That should be done soon but in the mean time the app is still usable. For anyone else using an Android phone, I recommend you try it out. I charge a small amount to download via the Android Market but the source code is available on my project web site under the Apache license.

Of course I'm still carrying my paper checklists as backup!

RBW Member divestoclimb is an unknown quantity at this point divestoclimb's Avatar

Re: Checklist app for Android (sorry iPhone)

I released version 1.0 this weekend with support for XML import/export and lots of bugfixes. I think everything's stable now, but it's been a hectic couple days getting getting it just right.

It's on the Android Market. If your country does not support paid apps yet and you'd like a copy, just send me a PM.

Ben

One Breath From Death testuser is an unknown quantity at this point testuser's Avatar
    Home built

Re: Checklist app for Android (sorry iPhone)

Hi there,

I just got a new phone, and it no longer let's me install d2cchecklist from the Google play store. Is there anything I can do to help get it back available to there general public? I am going to have to recreate my whole RB checklist from scratch off I can't get d2cchecklist back.

-James

+ Reply to Thread