+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: St. Lawrence Seaway October 2009 -- Jodrey/King Horn/Keystorm

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

St. Lawrence Seaway October 2009 -- Jodrey/King Horn/Keystorm

I just returned from a great trip to the Thousand Islands region of the St. Lawrence Seaway with Olympus Dive Center (Olympus Dive Center). It was a combination technical and recreational trip. We had 15 divers -- 11 technical (four of which were on rebreathers) and 4 recreational.

For the technical crowd, we dove the Jodrey each morning and then a different wreck each afternoon. Justin (Lakelanddiver1978) and I were on Kiss units while Bob (eanxdiver) and Amy ("Mrs. eanxdiver") were on rEvos.

The Jodrey is a 640 foot lake freighter built in 1965 that hit a shoal in the river and sank near the US Coast Guard station on Wellesley Island in 1974. She sits in about 240 ffw right up against the wall. The wheelhouse is at about 150 ffw and she sits with a list to starboard. Since it is so close to shore you can suit up and then do your final checks standing in 5 feet of water and then drop right over the wall to the wreck. After you've finished you bottom time you simply do your deco up the wall. We were doing 30 min bottom times with run times of about 80-90 minutes in the 57-58 degree water which got a little chilly by the end of the dive for this Florida warm water wimp.

The afternoons were spent on shallower wrecks in the 80-110 foot range. I especially enjoyed the Keystorm which has its bow in 20 ffw and the stern in 110 ffw with lots of swim throughs. It also lists to starboard so that the interesting parts of the wreck are also out of the current.

Here are some photos:

Jodrey

Keystorm

King Horn

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

Re: St. Lawrence Seaway October 2009 -- Jodrey/King Horn/Keystorm

isn't the water a little cold for you?
    looks like I'll put you on the mailing list for my Presque Isle trip next year

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

Nice pictures... thanks for sharing...

I will be back up there in two weeks diving...

Presque Isle is a great area for diving as well... our trip is already setup for next year..

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Rob -- Yes, it was a little cold for my buddy and me -- the two Floridians on the trip. But, really, I didn't really notice the "cold" until the last 20 minutes of deco at 15 ffw just hanging out on the wall looking at a bunch of blennies and dead zebra mussels!

Canadian Tekdive -- Where is Presque Isle? I'll have to check that out for possible trips in the future.

RBW Member keylargojimy has a little shameless behaviour in the past keylargojimy's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

HH INSPIRATION

videodivr

please add me to your presque isle list for next year.
    way surprised that doug ebersole was able to experience some cold north water diving here finally for a florida resident.

doug is an awesome dude, diver and all around person here. it is funny he went to the st. lawrence to get some cold water dives on this olypmus trip nc. based.

man i wish you guys were planning this and i knew ahead of of time you were all there diving ccr last weekend.

tale care doug and video divr..

hope the trip was a success for all oc and ccr divers.

michigan is where all the great wrecks doug!! lol

jdj

Quote Originally Posted by vidodivr  View Original Post
    isn't the water a little cold for you?
    looks like I'll put you on the mailing list for my Presque Isle trip next year

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

will do,
    We are doing it through Monkey Travel and working out the details this weekend. It is Aug. 16th-22nd

Quote Originally Posted by keylargojimy  View Original Post
    videodivr

please add me to your presque isle list for next year.
    way surprised that doug ebersole was able to experience some cold north water diving here finally for a florida resident.

doug is an awesome dude, diver and all around person here. it is funny he went to the st. lawrence to get some cold water dives on this olypmus trip nc. based.

man i wish you guys were planning this and i knew ahead of of time you were all there diving ccr last weekend.

tale care doug and video divr..

hope the trip was a success for all oc and ccr divers.

michigan is where all the great wrecks doug!! lol

jdj

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

Between Rogers City and Alpena Michigan...all along that area.

I would say all the great lakes have good diving... but for stuff in the 160-200 foot range this is a great place to go..

Windiate

Vlada Dekina that used to be more active on here has some great pictures of that area.

here is her page on the Windiate... and you can look back through other pages on the Florida etc..

sorry to kind of high jack the thread Doug.. but a great area to dive..

but be prepared for low 40's water temps... on the bottom and warmer near the top as summer goes on...

RBW Member ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl's Avatar
    Inspiration, rEvo micro

Quote Originally Posted by vidodivr  View Original Post
    will do,
    We are doing it through Monkey Travel and working out the details this weekend. It is Aug. 16th-22nd
    I made the drive from Minneapolis to Rogers City this past Aug. Wanted to dive on the 29-30th. But the weather did not cooperate. Did get to check out Fortune Pond in Michigan's UP. Will try again this coming year.

Aug13-16th will be diving Isle Royale, using Blackdog Charters. Great wrecks here also, just not as many, I would guess.
    Al

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Thanks for the write-up and great pics Doug - I always look forward to your trip reports and photograpy!

Question: Were you diving dry or wet?

Rather be Diving eanxdiver is on a distinguished road eanxdiver is on a distinguished road eanxdiver's Avatar
    rEvo

Classic KISS

Nice write up Doug, and thanks for the great pictures. Always great to dive with you. Looking forward to diving together again in "Cave Country" soon...
    -Bob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast