+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is flying better than diving?

No its always that colour the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler's Avatar

Re: Is flying better than diving?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    I flew gliders and really enjoyed it. However its too expensive to contemplate doing these days. I did a powered flight course but dropped out half way as it was too boring. Too many regs not enough fun.

If I had to pack in diving id take up para-gliding.

ATB

Mark
    I fancied that kite surfing would that count as flying

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

I used to fly a flex-wing microlight before I took up diving - great fun but I got behind on my hours and was spending lots of free time in the water, so gave it up.
    Didn't see many big egos at all, perhaps its harder to be egotistical when you're flying a beefed-up hang glider with a go-cart slung underneath

Neil

RBW Member moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund's Avatar
    Oxygen Rebreather

RG/U-FM mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    Seems the Jet Pilots are getting more attention than the Dive Pilots and I was wondering, what breed has the biggest ego? are pilots of both worlds just better than those that are of one realm? Should aquanauts take to the air?
    I am not sure how to start a poll, so lets try this.

Cheers,
    Hunter
    The best pilots, like the best divers, have very little ego, or should I say they don't show it. Being egotistical is the refuge of the insecure.

I frankly cannot answer your base question. I personally greatly enjoy moving in 3D and being one with a machine and nature. You get both with diving and flying. Another plus is you are pretty much isolated from other humans, even though they may be sitting or floating next to you.

Flying is far more dangerous than diving, and more technical; but I will bet other pilot/divers might argue the reverse. I don't consider it very important, what is important is that you strive to know all you can about what you do when you dive and when you fly.

The other day I thought how neat it was that an aircraft engine has a logbook, the plane has a logbook and the pilot has a logbook. The pilot is reduced to machine, yet in control of the machine he becomes one with the aircraft. A pilot is free to move about the planet...and a diver is free to move under the surface of 2/3'rds of it.

Both the pilot and the diver leave the surface of the planet in ways they were not intended to by nature and can only do so with the technology that their species has produced. Without that technology they would die. Mistakes in using that technology can also cause death. It is exhilarating to cheat nature in this way just to get a little closer to her.

I ramble, sorry, but I am a diver and I am a pilot and I love both.

RBW Member bambang is an unknown quantity at this point bambang's Avatar

Eventhough CCR divers are often called "pilots" I dont think CCR certification is in comparison with PPL licence in terms of complexity ( Let alone whatever certificate you need to fly big jets like A-340 or 777)

The idea of CCR divers is comparing himself (always him) with real pilot is a wishful thinking (unless you are pilot that do CCR)

BB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2