+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is flying better than diving?

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

Is flying better than diving?

Seems the Jet Pilots are getting more attention than the Dive Pilots and I was wondering, what breed has the biggest ego? are pilots of both worlds just better than those that are of one realm? Should aquanauts take to the air?
    I am not sure how to start a poll, so lets try this.

Cheers,
    Hunter

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Is flying better than diving?

Hi Hunter,

Try asking Dave ******.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

i already have two expensive hobbies - diving and women- i dont need a third.
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

Quote Originally Posted by kybrt  View Original Post
    i already have two expensive hobbies - diving and women- i dont need a third.
    If you read the MSDS on women it states they are the most powerful money-reducung agent known to man.

RBW Member warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett has a spectacular aura about warjarrett's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini

Prism, Meg Copis, KISS Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    ... What breed has the biggest ego? Are pilots of both worlds just better than those that are of one realm? Should aquanauts take to the air?...
    I have been both a private pilot and a recreational diver since the early '70s. I have noticed tremendous egos among some divers. At every dive club meeting, there is at least one guy that should have feathers on his back and a bright red comb on his head. Oh, and a couple of big empty ball-sacs hanging from his chin, collapsed and flaccid like a neutered dog. It is disgusting sometimes. Very often certain divers present themselves as athletic specimen, theoretical geniuses, and semi-religious gurus that MUST tell me EXACTLY how and where to dive. I have never noticed this at flying club meetings, even though flying involves must more complicated, expensive equipment, and much more responsibility for human life.

I will say that I have not met any rebreather diver quite so bad as some of the old-timer SCUBA divers, but I am sure the egotistical ones among us do exist.

The dedication to safety and proper procedures are similar in both activities, but the more egotistical a diver is, the less I would like to see him start flying.
    Last edited by warjarrett; 13th October 2009 at 07:18.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    Seems the Jet Pilots are getting more attention than the Dive Pilots and I was wondering, what breed has the biggest ego?
    Cheers,
    Hunter
    Wellll…..

I’ve been diving for 40 years and have put a roof over my family & food on their table by flying airplanes for 35. As I tell many of my First Officers, I in no way claim to be an expert; I’ve just survived finding a lot of ways to do stuff wrong and try not to repeat them.

In a nutshell: an a$$ is an a$$ is an a$$.

Both pursuits get highly technical at the most involved end. Both demand skill, discipline, vigilance, and especially humility there if one expects to survive for long. Both require currency of skills to be safe so consequently both have complacency as the biggest danger. Both require over-learned muscle memory reactions in the most time-critical emergencies to prevent people- sometimes hundreds of people, when flying- from getting killed. Both attract a few folks w/ more ego than brains; the truly sad and scary part is how many of them actually believe their own BS. One can only hope that they do not take any innocents with them when their mouth finally writes a check their abilities cannot cash.

Perhaps most interesting of all, though, is that in both endeavors it seems the guys who actually DO know the most- the best of the best- tend to not promote themselves. They simply go about their business, leading by example.

Just my (rapidly dropping in value) $0.02.

Ken

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

Old Chinese proverb loosely translated:
    He who talks doesn't know.
    He who knows doesn't talk.

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

I haven't flown for a long time now, but I'd say it's pretty much like any other hobby/avocation. There is always a small percent of over the top ego maniacs in all fields of endeavor. They are collectively known as Alpha Males. Lot's of people are very good at what they do.... It's only the Alpha Males that have to make sure everyone knows that they are part of that group.

I don't think it's any higher in Rebreather Divers or most Pilots.... Naval Aviators... well there I believe the percentge goes way up!

Richie

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I flew gliders and really enjoyed it. However its too expensive to contemplate doing these days. I did a powered flight course but dropped out half way as it was too boring. Too many regs not enough fun.

If I had to pack in diving id take up para-gliding.

ATB

Mark

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    I flew gliders and really enjoyed it. However its too expensive to contemplate doing these days. I did a powered flight course but dropped out half way as it was too boring. Too many regs not enough fun.

If I had to pack in diving id take up para-gliding.

ATB

Mark
    Snap! Are you my blond evil twin?

(Parajets look fun but noisy. Fancy giving Bare Grylls a run for his money?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast