+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shark attack in Egypt in June

RBW Member rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan's Avatar

Shark attack in Egypt in June

Hi all,

I have a picture of the fatal shark attack in June, 2009 in southern Egypt. If you want me to send it to you, just PM me. It will make you think about diving or snorkeling with predatory sharks when they are being fed for our pleasure. Wake up people!!!! They are responsible for taking more airman and sailors in WW2 than any othet shark! The oceanic white tip.

The picture is not nice. It shows the injuries that can be inflicted from one bite.

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Shark attack in Egypt in June

Quote Originally Posted by rohan  View Original Post
    Hi all,

I have a picture of the fatal shark attack in June, 2009 in southern Egypt. If you want me to send it to you, just PM me. It will make you think about diving or snorkeling with predatory sharks when they are being fed for our pleasure. Wake up people!!!! They are responsible for taking more airman and sailors in WW2 than any othet shark! The oceanic white tip.

The picture is not nice. It shows the injuries that can be inflicted from one bite.
    So they were feeding them with this happened?

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

There have been several incidents in Egypt with snorkelers and Oceanic whites. These are magnificent animals but I don't like them below me, even when diving. Snorkeling with them ... no way.

RBW Member rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan's Avatar

Yep, the boat crews were feeding them. It has been going on for years. Hopefully it will now stop. I hope now if anyone goes on a liveaboard in Egypt, make sure you don't allow them to be fed. It is just insane to feed one of the most dangerous sharks and then hop in and dive or snorkel with them!

I didn't want to post the photo as I don't want it seen for the gore factor. I want it seen so people are aware the Oceanic is BIG, MAGNIFICENT AND A VERY DANGEROUS APEKS PREDATOR. Everyone needs to respect them.

We should leave them alone and just interact naturally with them when we dive or snorkel. They don't need provoking.

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Hi Rohan,
    I saw the pics...they were sent to the Marine Science Station here,
    very sobering...gave me nightmares for days!!
    Rod

RBW Member diverchrispy is an unknown quantity at this point diverchrispy's Avatar
    Evolution PLUS

Inspiration Classic Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by rohan  View Original Post
    A VERY DANGEROUS APEKS PREDATOR. .
    Ok that's it I'm changing my Apeks regs over to AP's.

Sorry couldn't resist......thanks for the info.....I agree I wouldn't want to see either humans or sharks endagered with this unsafe practice. In an effort to make people realize that sharks are part of the natural ecosystem and should not be hunted down and killed some operators are placing their clients and ultimatly the sharks in danger.

Chrispy

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

I done film work with Oceanic's. Given their behavior to things - including people on the surface, that was really stupid on part of the dive operator to put snorkelers in the water with them.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

RBW Member Peter M is an unknown quantity at this point Peter M's Avatar

We had two of these fantastic sharks (oceanic whit tips) get slightly aggressive during a dive in February.
    There was no feeding or other activity at the time.
    I have to admit i was glad to get out of the water but still think they are fantastic.

Because I Can Diveimage is an unknown quantity at this point Diveimage's Avatar
    MEG

AP Classic&Evo Meg Copis&APECS

Dived at Elphinstone some years back and had white tips buzzing around us. One guy in a Inspo had to use his camera to push them away as they bumped into him. Seeing your photo he was lucky they just bumped him.

There was feeding going on whilst we were in the water. How do I know? well, as I hovered taking photo's of the circling sharks, a chicken leg floated down past me..

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

They certainly are impressive creatures. The aggressiveness of these sharks is hard to peg. Due to the nature of living in the open sea where sometimes a source of food may not be found for days to even weeks, these sharks see everything as a possible food source, and will approach it for closer scrutiny. Therefore, they are highly inquisitive and methodical, demonstrating at times an unwavering persistence to test you as by attempting to pass within inches of your body. This is when photographer’s need to use their camera as shields to effectively push them off to prevent their close, casual approach from turning into an investigative bite.
    Attached Images
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast