+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: steroids

RBW Member trakrat is on a distinguished road trakrat is on a distinguished road trakrat's Avatar
    rEvo

steroids

yesterday i had to rescue my buddy!
    he had passed out due to what i can only think was an overdose of steriods that he was taking!!! doctor's agreed but i got the impression like usual that they had no idea as diving medicine is a dark art practiced by the few!!!
    is there a list anywhere that explains what drug's are safe for diving !!
    do they even test for pp overdose? is there a formular for working out drug dosage at pressure ? can anyone help as i doubt from talking to the lad afterwards that he won't stop the steroid's so all i can do is educate him as i won't ever dive with him again but someone else might!!!!
    cheers rob

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Re: steroids

There seems to be little information about the effects of drugs under pressure, however its not just the drug at pressure but the effects of the drug on the body and the consequent implications for diving. For many cases the condition a drug is prescribed for is more relevant than the drug itself.
    Assuming you are referring to anabolic steroids, these have many effects on the body including heart problems (cardiomyopathy), and shrunken balls.

Neil

RBW Member burnsaj1 is an unknown quantity at this point burnsaj1's Avatar

Re: steriods

Take a minute and reach out to your local Hyperbaric physician. I've found that doing some research really pays off in order to educate yourself about where the experts are locally as well as nationally. I'm very luck that here in Atlanta we have a full time Hyperbaric doc that has a nice big 12 place chamber, but the DAN HQ is always an option for a quick answer or if my local hyperbaric doc doesn't have the answer.

Don't know if there is a similar org in the UK, but here's a good source for the americans: American College of Hyperbaric Medicine - Home

And for anyone in Atlanta I'd suggest getting familiar with HyOx (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy – Atlanta, Georgia – HyOx) who specialize in medical Hyperbaric for non-healing wounds and cancer treatment. The great thing is that they can be a great resource for a diver just like a FAA flight physician is for airplane pilots.

If I'm on any drug at all (asprin included) I'd always call my flight doc before piloting a plane. A regulator shouldn't be any different. A bad reaction could have poor results in either situation. Be safe.

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

I always contact D.A.N. when I'm wondering whether a drug is safe for diving or not. They've proved very helpful.

...or you should get your friend to watch "Fight Club". Remember the scene with Bob, the guy who used steroids?
    "Bob cried. Six months ago, his testicles were removed. Then hormone therapy. He developed bitch tits because his testosterone was too high and his body upped the estrogen. That was where my head fit -- into his sweating tits that hang enormous, the way we think of God's as big."

RBW Member bambang is an unknown quantity at this point bambang's Avatar

What kind of steroids? Testosterone? Estrogen? Some steroid is stronger than others, but I dont think it makes you pass out..

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

You can always check with GI3

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blomman  View Original Post
    You can always check with GI3
    HCG, nothin' but the best...

RBW Member trakrat is on a distinguished road trakrat is on a distinguished road trakrat's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by burnsaj1  View Original Post
    Take a minute and reach out to your local Hyperbaric physician. I've found that doing some research really pays off in order to educate yourself about where the experts are locally as well as nationally. I'm very luck that here in Atlanta we have a full time Hyperbaric doc that has a nice big 12 place chamber, but the DAN HQ is always an option for a quick answer or if my local hyperbaric doc doesn't have the answer.

Don't know if there is a similar org in the UK, but here's a good source for the americans: American College of Hyperbaric Medicine - Home

And for anyone in Atlanta I'd suggest getting familiar with HyOx (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy – Atlanta, Georgia – HyOx) who specialize in medical Hyperbaric for non-healing wounds and cancer treatment. The great thing is that they can be a great resource for a diver just like a FAA flight physician is for airplane pilots.

If I'm on any drug at all (asprin included) I'd always call my flight doc before piloting a plane. A regulator shouldn't be any different. A bad reaction could have poor results in either situation. Be safe.
    yeah we have the same sort of thing we have the royal navy diving doctor on 24/7 phone line for those who don't have the number its 07831151523 for 24/7 incident advice

rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by bambang  View Original Post
    What kind of steroids? Testosterone? Estrogen? Some steroid is stronger than others, but I dont think it makes you pass out..
    it's called something like tanked or tenked i'll get the name and type on wed's night when i see him again but it's a high dose he was on and it made him pass out cold at depth he was fine on the surface just a banging headache!!!
    had to be them !! can't see any other reason and the hostpital couldn't find anything else wrong so agreed that it was most likely the cause!!!

RBW Member bambang is an unknown quantity at this point bambang's Avatar

I still dont understand how can elevatating testosterone level artificially can make you pass out? Maybe CO2 from improper scrubber packing? or overexertion?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast