+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fittings

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

Fittings

Ok, so this is my preliminary design for fittings. These come in three flavors.

1) is what the pictures show, except the outside "nubs" are actually male threaded with an o-ring seal, the left and right parts are possibly to be reverse threaded per side. (this would connect the two canisters in a side-by-side solution)

2) same as the first, but, the inner part will have a 90 degree turned into a hose barb for CL connection

3) same as #2 but will have a 180 degree with a hose barb for setting up a top-over-bottom solution

the metal will be either stainless steel or aluminum the first run will be aluminum and when the whole unit is assembled may become SS if need more weight at middle for trim is needed. There will possibly also be a "spanner wrench" used on all three parts for setting purposes.

This is a mockup and not set too scale yet.

Thanks for your interest,
    Hunter
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 19Hunter68; 18th September 2009 at 05:26.

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

Re: Fittings

Hello all,
    any thoughts on this type of breath hose fitting? good, bad or ugly?

Cheers,
    Hunter

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

I guess I am not entirely clear on how they'll be used. Where do the breathing hoses connect?

IDA72 - sorrta

Quote Originally Posted by onetime  View Original Post
    I guess I am not entirely clear on how they'll be used. Where do the breathing hoses connect?
    In the second picture, the "nub" sticking out will actuall be turned into a 90 degree elbow where at the end of the 90 will be a hose barb, the hose will connected to the barb via either a crimp or a screwdown clamp. Remember this is not too scale and this mock up only shows the connecting portion of the unit, this "swivel" connector allows for positioning the angle of the hose barb to any direction
    Last edited by 19Hunter68; 19th September 2009 at 22:47.

IDA72 - sorrta

a quick sketch may help.
    Attached Images

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Sorry it's taken a while for a response but I've been battling some dreaded computer viruses and I just didn't make it back to this one.

What will be the diameter of the hole in the middle on a full scale model?

I like the design. If you're having them made, I'd be interested in a few (depending on cost).

IDA72 - sorrta

Sorry it's taken a while for a response but I've been battling some dreaded computer viruses and I just didn't make it back to this one.

What will be the diameter of the hole in the middle on a full scale model?

I like the design. If you're having them made, I'd be interested in a few (depending on cost).
    Hope the viruses are not contagious and have been rectified for you.
    Thank you for the interest in this.
    The I.D. of the inner hole is too be 1 1/4", the hose barb will accept 1 1/2" I.D. breathing hose (hopefully, this reduction will not be an issue).
    As far as buying one for use on a different unit, I am not sure if the threads would be the same, I would have to obtain information of too what and where you would use this. As for the cost, well its ugly, I am looking at approx. $250.00 for the center w/straight out threading and o-ring seals, for the 90 degree turned into a hose barb i'm at about $350.00 each. This cost is a first-run prototype though. If ever I am able to make these in a larger quantity (say 10 at a time) I am finding cost too drop to about $100-150 each for the straight and probably $175-200 for the 90 degree pieces.

Cheers,
    Hunter

Jeesh, that price is pretty hefty.

I think I'll stick with my "cheapy" route at least for first design, about $9.00 just needs some machining to make nubs smooth rather than slotted. Add a 90 degree and it can be rotated in any direction. Downside is it's PVC versus metal and only one o-ring seal rather than two.

IDA72 - sorrta

Jeesh, that price is pretty hefty.

I think I'll stick with my "cheapy" route at least for first design, about $9.00 just needs some machining to make nubs smooth rather than slotted. Add a 90 degree and it can be rotated in any direction. Downside is it's PVC versus metal and only one o-ring seal rather than two.
    I wish it were that easy for me too. These are male threaded on the outsides and will save alot of width as I seem too be under this restriction. These have been designed for close tolerance and after the two cans are connected with the middle "union" (should be less than 1" between the cans) and then connecting the outer two 90 degree unions we should end up with under 20" wide total.

I guess the cost is inevitable when needing too meet certain criteria. If anyone knows of a union that has male oustide threads instead of female, please let me know, otherwise I am spending a ton of $$$ on it. (silly me)

Cheers,
    Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    (silly me)

Cheers,
    Hunter
    Nothing silly about it, we have to do what we have to do. For what we'll both spend on our own home mades I'm sure we could just buy an APOC.

+ Reply to Thread