+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HH Travel Stand Designs completed ... Which direction should I go?

I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Question HH Travel Stand Designs completed ... Which direction should I go?

I have completed design work on several options for a HH Travel Stand - all based on my existing KISS/MEG Travel Stand.

Each design has pros and cons, so I am displaying all 4 options here for public debate and support.

All designs will raise the base of the canister ~ 6", providing an area for suit inflation gas,/storage, and many connection points for bottles and accessories.

I have posted a 3D CAD pic of each option, all taken from the same angle. Along with that, I will do my best to explain what I see as the fit, pros and cons of each.

I welcome comments, Suggestions, votes for a favorite, (orders ), or any other feedback.

I have not received detail info on the HOBO canister (from Golem Gear), mounting position yet, so I can't confirm how well it work - but from a rough guess, it doesn't look like a bad fit.

The exact additional cost of each option will vary, and I will need to confirm with the metal shop. I will be sending all options for quotes shortly, but plan on only going with the most popular, maybe 2, depending on the interest. The more people that want one, the cheaper they will become!

I have also designed a 3-1/4" diameter argon bottle mount, for 6 cu.ft. cylinders. I will also be sending this out for quotes. I expect to be able to offer either option (6 or 13 cu.ft. tank supports) with each stand, or both for a small extra charge.

Standard HH Canister with KISS Handle:

This is using the HH with my current handle design, with only the appropriate mounting holes added.

FIT:

The bottom of the inside of the handle opening is ~ 1" BELOW the top of the Canister Head.
    (the unobstructed opening is ~ 0.9")

PROS:

- No Additional charges over the standard 'KISS Version' Stand
    - Highest Economy of scale savings
    - Available now

CONS:

- May be a bit difficult to get fingers in to use the handle, depending on your set-up.

Standard HH Canister with KISS Handle & Extension:

This is using the HH with my current handle design along with an Extension piece in the center.

FIT:

The bottom of the inside of the handle opening is ~ 1-1/8" ABOVE the top of the Canister Head.

PROS:

- Allows flexibility in stand usage
    - Handle totally accessible
    - Can easy be moved/used between different units (HH, KISS, MEG) - Don't use the extension on the KISS or MEG for perfect fit.
    - If you have the original Canister (1.5" taller, black), this will be the best fit.

CONS:

- May be a bit too tall with the standard canister. (This is the shortest I could make an 'extension' style adaptor.)
    - An extra piece to deal with, when not installed
    - Additional Charge to make the Extension Piece
    - Lead time for part fabrication (Probably ~ 3-4 weeks - TBD)

Standard HH Canister with HH Specific Handle:

This is using the HH with a new HH Specific handle design.

FIT:

The bottom of the inside of the handle opening is FLUSH to the top of the Canister Head.

PROS:

- Custom Fit for the HH (Standard Canister)
    - Looks 'designed to fit'
    - Can be moved to/used on different units (HH, KISS, MEG) - BUT it will be extra tall on MEGs and KISSs'

CONS:

- The most expensive option

Standard HH Canister with 'Soft' Handle:

This is using the HH with a new 'Soft' Handle design.
    You need to add your own soft handle(s) from strapping, or other material of your choice, mounted through the provided anchor points (2 on each side)

FIT:

The bottom of the inside of the handle opening is FLUSH to the top of the Canister Head.

PROS:

- Customize your handle's length & style for your perfect fit/feel.
    - Can use 1 large or 2 smaller handle loops, depending on your preference
    - Handle totally accessible when needed, can be tucked in while diving
    - Nothing to potentially snag (If securely tucked in)
    - Can be moved to/used on different units (HH, KISS, MEG)
    - Can leave the strap/handle part off and use purely to raise the canister
    - Less expensive then the custom HH Handle

CONS:

- More expensive then the standard KISS handle or extension piece options
    - You have to make your own handle

Thanks for your comments!

Death Before Discomfort nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

Re: HH Travel Stand Designs completed ... Which direction should I go?

Scott,

My vote is for: 1)"KISS Handle" or 2) "Soft Handle". If I were to buy the KISS Handle now, could I then buy the top piece for the soft handle later?

Nate

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

One thing you may have trouble with is the bolt length on the STA that is on the HH can.

The bolts are just long enough now. I have maybe three threads left after I tighten the wing nut down with a lock washer.

If you put something elese in there the bolts will probably be too short.
    Also, if you look at how they are made it's a bit of a project to replace them.

You might be able to talk Jakub into having some longer bolts made. Or you can probably reverse engineer them and make them longer. Of course someone can also swap them out for longer bolts.

But no matter what you do you'll have to take that STA off and the put hat and the tank mount back on. It's not exactly fun to do that.

All that aside I like the version with the soft handle; that's probably the way I'd go.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail  View Original Post
    I have completed design work on several options for a HH Travel Stand - all based on my existing KISS/MEG Travel Stand.

Each design has pros and cons, so I am displaying all 4 options here for public debate and support.

All designs will raise the base of the canister ~ 6", providing an area for suit inflation gas,/storage, and many connection points for bottles and accessories.

I have posted a 3D CAD pic of each option, all taken from the same angle. Along with that, I will do my best to explain what I see as the fit, pros and cons of each.

I welcome comments, Suggestions, votes for a favorite, (orders ), or any other feedback.

I have not received detail info on the HOBO canister (from Golem Gear), mounting position yet, so I can't confirm how well it work - but from a rough guess, it doesn't look like a bad fit.

The exact additional cost of each option will vary, and I will need to confirm with the metal shop. I will be sending all options for quotes shortly, but plan on only going with the most popular, maybe 2, depending on the interest. The more people that want one, the cheaper they will become!

I have also designed a 3-1/4" diameter argon bottle mount, for 6 cu.ft. cylinders. I will also be sending this out for quotes. I expect to be able to offer either option (6 or 13 cu.ft. tank supports) with each stand, or both for a small extra charge.

Standard HH Canister with KISS Handle:

This is using the HH with my current handle design, with only the appropriate mounting holes added.

FIT:

The bottom of the inside of the handle opening is ~ 1" BELOW the top of the Canister Head.
    (the unobstructed opening is ~ 0.9")

PROS:

- No Additional charges over the standard 'KISS Version' Stand
    - Highest Economy of scale savings
    - Available now

CONS:

- May be a bit difficult to get fingers in to use the handle, depending on your set-up.

Standard HH Canister with KISS Handle & Extension:

This is using the HH with my current handle design along with an Extension piece in the center.

FIT:

The bottom of the inside of the handle opening is ~ 1-1/8" ABOVE the top of the Canister Head.

PROS:

- Allows flexibility in stand usage
    - Can easy be moved/used between different units (HH, KISS, MEG) - Don't use the extension on the KISS or MEG for perfect fit.
    - If you have the original Canister (1.5" taller, black), this will be the best fit.

CONS:

- May be a bit too tall with the standard canister. (This is the shortest I could make an 'extension' style adaptor.)
    - An extra piece to deal with, when not installed
    - Additional Charge to make the Extension Piece

Standard HH Canister with HH Specific Handle:

This is using the HH with a new HH Specific handle design.

FIT:

PROS:

- Custom Fit for the HH (Standard Canister)
    - Looks 'designed to fit'
    - Can be moved to/used on different units (HH, KISS, MEG) - BUT it will be extra tall on MEGs and KISSs'

CONS:

- The most expensive option

Standard HH Canister with 'Soft' Handle:

This is using the HH with a new 'Soft' Handle design.
    You need to add your own soft handle(s) from strapping, or other material of your choice, mounted through the provided anchor points (2 on each side)

FIT:

PROS:

- Customize your handle's length & style for your perfect fit/feel.
    - Can use 1 large or 2 smaller handle loops, depending on your preference
    - Handle totally accessible when needed, can be tucked in while diving
    - Nothing to potentially snag (If securely tucked in)
    - Can be moved to/used on different units (HH, KISS, MEG)
    - Can leave the strap/handle part off and use purely to raise the canister
    - Less expensive then the custom HH Handle

CONS:

- More expensive then the standard KISS handle or extension piece options
    - You have to make your own handle

Thanks for your comments!
    HOBO
    atual length of can 14.5 inches
    bottom of can to top wih lid on 15.5
    floor to center of bottom bolt 1.75
    floor to center of top bolt 12.75

soft option preferred
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DWill  View Original Post
    One thing you may have trouble with is the bolt length on the STA that is on the HH can.

The bolts are just long enough now. I have maybe three threads left after I tighten the wing nut down with a lock washer.

If you put something elese in there the bolts will probably be too short.
    Also, if you look at how they are made it's a bit of a project to replace them.

You might be able to talk Jakub into having some longer bolts made. Or you can probably reverse engineer them and make them longer. Of course someone can also swap them out for longer bolts.

But no matter what you do you'll have to take that STA off and the put hat and the tank mount back on. It's not exactly fun to do that.

All that aside I like the version with the soft handle; that's probably the way I'd go.
    I think it depends on your wing and BP.. I dont have any issues with the bolt length right now.
    Joe Radomski

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    I think it depends on your wing and BP.. I dont have any issues with the bolt length right now.
    It's fine with just a wing and a back plate. But not much else is going to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by DWill  View Original Post
    It's fine with just a wing and a back plate. But not much else is going to fit.
    I have plenty of exposed thread ( I actually use a nut AND a wingnut) ... I could easily fit something with a reasonable thickness...
    Joe Radomski

I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by nated1971  View Original Post
    Scott,

My vote is for: 1)"KISS Handle" or 2) "Soft Handle". If I were to buy the KISS Handle now, could I then buy the top piece for the soft handle later?

Nate
    Hi Nate,

Yes, I'm thinking the Soft Handle is going to be a regular option, since It will fit the MEG & KISS as well as the HH. I should have thought of the soft handle concept earlier!

All the Handles will have the same mounting method, so you would be able to swap them out later without any problems.

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    HOBO
    atual length of can 14.5 inches
    bottom of can to top wih lid on 15.5
    floor to center of bottom bolt 1.75
    floor to center of top bolt 12.75

soft option preferred

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info!
    I'll add all this into my model and see how everything will fit ...

I'm thinking the soft handle will probably be the best approach here, unless there is enough demand for a HOBO specific handle.

RBW Member manthos is an unknown quantity at this point manthos's Avatar
    Hammerhead and Megalodon

Submatix and Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail  View Original Post
    I'm thinking the soft handle will probably be the best approach here, unless there is enough demand for a HOBO specific handle.
    I also think that soft handle is going to be OK. It could be easy to fit a hard handle on the holes, if needed.

manthos
    Manthos Marras

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast