+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dives 5 & 6 BOV repairs and rEvo full flood

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Dives 5 & 6 BOV repairs and rEvo full flood

Dives 5 & 6 Mallin 2009. Expectations Management

We should have been gutted to be sailing back to Scotland but the fact that I expected most of the week to have been blown out and that we had had two unlimited dives on the Audacious, I was actually feeling pretty upbeat.

That was apart from the fact I had a hole you could stick a finger through in the diaphragm of my BOV. I attempted a repair with Aquasure which wasnít working but then Darren (The Skipper) had an utterly brilliant idea.

I cut two strips from the sticky bit of a Rochester Wind band pee valve catheter. It was quite hard as it was an ďExtra smallĒ sized one I had got off Janos * but despite that I managed to get two half inch strips of sticky sided soft latex with which to patch the diaphragm.

I tested it and it seemed to work just fine so I was now much happier. Some truly inspired lateral thinking from Darren I felt.

We awoke on Thursday to find the promised gale force winds had not hit our bit of sea and we set off to dive ďThe EnglishĒ. If I have a single complaint about Loyal Watcher its that there is no where to dry your under suits. On the Scapa gig we would pop them in a dedicated tumble dryer for £2 and have lovely warm and dry under suits for the next dive. Sadly my Thinslate under suit was sopping wet so I was diving my membrane suit (no leaks) with just a Forth Element arctic underneath. Add to this the fact the English was an avg depth of 63m 11c on the bottom, and it was always going to be a short dive.

Next Mallin trip we should have a whip round a buy a tumble dryer for the boat.

George and I sat ready to jump and I had my camera with me without the hindrance of a scooter today. I was planning on a load of pics. Just before we jumped in Linder suggested it would be a dark dive and I decided it wasnít worth the hassle of taking the camera. This of course guaranteed it to be great viz.

And it was.

The English is a very pretty wreck, full of colour and lovely exposed framework and decking that would make for great pics. I was deeply regretting leaving my camera on board. George and I had a lovely time rummaging around inside and on top of the wreck. George found a brass plate off a life raft and we both found some keys. There were lobsters everywhere and scallops littered the sea bed but I decided I didnít want to keep them till Saturday so I didnít bother collecting any.

A search off wreck looking for some apparently lovely portholes lying on the sea bed, revealed nothing. I am assuming the locals have had them away. We had to remind our selves we were at 63m+ because it felt like a 30m Dover dive. After the goliath of the Audacious this wreck felt cute and cuddly.

Having circumnavigated it back to the shot and with 35mins showing on the bottom I decided I was old and cold and wanted to go up. Surprisingly the young and sprightly George said he was off too which made me feel less of a coffin dodger :D

After a blissfully short two hours in the water George and I found ourselves in the unusual position of not being last up so we set about helping all the others as they surfaced. It was quite hard work lifting all those stages on the ropes and I was surprised Howard hadnít extended his deco to avoid such hard labour.

Back on board we were battening down the hatches for a run back to Ayr. Conditions were deteriorating and I doubted if we would dive again. I think most people felt the same way as they all disappeared up the pub.

On the off chance we were going to dive, I staid on the boat. It only takes one pint to lubricate my stupid gene and then the next eight slip down dead easy. This it turned out was a smart move as some of them stumbled back at 1am.

I awoke hang over free and looked out over the turgid waters of the Ayr coast and I didnít expect to dive. The peat contamination of the water makes it look particularly miserable when rough and I considered stripping down the unit for the journey home.

Dive 6 Full CCR Flood

To my surprise Darren decided to stick Loyal Watchers nose out and have a look see if we could get a dive in. It was pretty awful out there but surprisingly we made it to an armed trawler in 65m in the lee of an island or out crop. We chose this one as it was 56 to the decks so shallow enough for a short dive time. As it turned out it was to be a very short dive.

Smooth sea never made a good mariner

As soon as we started to descend the shot it was obvious it was going to be rubbish conditions. Viz was a couple of M and it was a very silty wreck. Even on the shot on the way down my unit was obviously taking on water.

I emptied the loop into the counter lung but within min's it was gurgling again so it was going to flood. I had never flooded the rEvo before so I decided now was as good a time as any to see how it coped.

Mean time we set about searching in crap viz desperately trying to find some lobsters. The wreck was absolutely covered in slipper lobsters. I am a big fan of these beautiful creatures but today I was after something with a little more meet on it. The Dublin bay prawn I found next wasnít much of an improvement.

In the gloom a hundred little sparkling eyes greeted me from the bottom of a silt filled hatch. I was wondering how the hell you actually go about catching prawns? These sadly were more shrimp sized than Dublin Bay sized so I drifted on repeatedly emptying my loop as I went.

I didnít want to go deep but having found zero lobsters on the boat we decided to drop to 65m on the sea bed and try our luck there. An Icelandic Spider Crab caught my eye but it was a juvenile and sadly not one of the fabulous tasting monster ones.

Apart from that it was just hundreds of slipper lobster. I usually feel privileged to see one or two, but these were reaching pest proportions. I was just beginning to wonder how many slipper lobster it would take to make a half decent salad when I felt the first resistance in the breathing loop.

Time to go. I flashed George who already knew I was having a flooding issue and we started our ascent.

After 20mins on the bottom the flooding was starting to get serious. I had checked my BOV which was working fine but I checked it again just in case and felt for the OC reg as well.

The rEvo has a bottom dump for venting flood water but the little pull string is hard to reach. So for my first attempt I went slightly head down and hit the diluents button with a view of blasting the water out of the top dump.

This didnít work and I got a mouthful of water with a strong taste of sofnalime in it so I quickly went back to horizontal. Plan B. I unclipped a stage at the back and felt around for the pull dump. With that located I maxed the loop volume and went vertical and blew for all I was worth to push water out of the unit.

This did work

The work of breathing returned to normal and I was pleased that the flood recovery on the rEvo was actually functional.

Sadly I wasnít pleased for very long as my HUD started flashing constant green suggesting a PP02 of about 1000 and yet my hand set read 00 1.7 0.4

The 02 cells were trashed

It had never occurred to me before but on most CCR the o2 cells are at the top of the unit protected in all states except head down. The cells are normally screwed in and water can not bypass them to get to the circuit boards behind. The hydrophobic membrane of the cell face keeping the worst of the water away. On the rEvo the cells are fully exposed. Water can easily get into the sensitive back of the cell rendering it useless. And thatís exactly what happened.

The game was now fully over and I had run out of cards to play so I bailed out at 21m to my 50%

Its been about 18months since I last breathed OC in anger and id forgotten how bloody noisy it is. How I ever dived without ear plugs I just donít know. I switched the Shearwater over to OC bailout and checked my deco with George. Surprisingly it showed 21mins of deco and Georgeís Shearwater showed 19mins on 1.4 set point? This didnít make sense as I was going to be on a much lower set point from 12m and up on my 50%. I had 80% programmed in so I assumed it was expecting me to gas switch. I got out my yellow SMB and attached it to my reel just in case something odd should happen to my 50% tin.

In the end it was flashing asking me for a gas switch to 80% but I obviously didnít confirm the switch. I cleared the unit then added 15mins for good measure and George and I surfaced safe and sound.

Back on the boat I did a pos neg with the unit flooded and it passed. I inspected the mouthpiece and that was fine too. I couldnít see how my botch repair on the diaphragm could be to blame so I put it down to a sticking OPV on the counter lung. I had done a weeks diving without rinsing the unit and I am guessing it got a bit scuzzed up. The drop from the side of loyal watcher into the sea can be a big one so maybe it got dislodged on entry.

So now I know what not to do when I have a flood on a rEvo. Donít go head down unless the BOV is on OC and donít go vertical.

Sadly no wife appeasing lobsters on the dive but the flood made it a worthwhile learning experience. Next trip ill be taking three new cells as spare, not just two.

We decided to go home that night. Packing up to drive home was no fun at all but I was pleased we were back early enough to make it a viable option. We hit Dude Mansions at midnight and I fell into bed at my house around 2am.

Mallin was over for 2009 and it had been much better than expected with six dives in six possible days diving and only one crap dive. Thatís not bad when youíre expecting a blow out. The bunch of divers on the boat had been great fun to be with and to dive with. 2011 was mentioned and I have already pencilled it in my calendar but for now it was just sleep I wanted and dreams of the audacious and those fantastic guns.

Id like to pay tribute and offer thanks to Darren and Linder on Loyal watcher and to the teem of a dozen fairies who prepared all that wonderful food whilst we were in the water. Darren tried to convince me Linder did it all but thatís too outrageous to contemplate in such a small galley with so much other work to be done, so I reckon it was the fairies.

Thanks to the rest of the gang for making it such an enjoyable trip. Di (Madfish) deserves special tribute for taking so much stick from Howard and Nigel and making us laugh so much with her retorts.

Special thanks also to George my dive buddy for being so chilled to dive with and to spend the week with. I couldnít believe how laid back he was when his o2 hose fell off during deco and he lost all his gas.

Finally thanks to the Dude for staying alive and not making my wife ban me from diving.

ATB

Mark

* My memory of the size of Janos pee valve catheter my have been influenced by him lifting and claiming my shell casing :D

CK #21 ReikiMaster will become famous soon enough ReikiMaster will become famous soon enough ReikiMaster will become famous soon enough ReikiMaster will become famous soon enough ReikiMaster's Avatar

Re: Dives 5 & 6 BOV repairs and rEvo full flood

Great reports, glad you had some good dives,

Very suprised you dont have a spare diaphram in your kit box.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by ReikiMaster  View Original Post
    Great reports, glad you had some good dives,

Very suprised you dont have a spare diaphram in your kit box.

I had three for all my Apex regs but I hadent been able to get hold of one of the scuba pro ones The BOV is brand new so i wasent expecting to need a diaghpragm just yet. It had done seven dives including the previous ones at Mallin.

Dave is sorting out a repair to stop it hapening again and a spare just in case. The suport from JJ / Dave has been first class.

If you own a JJ BOV make sure it has the upgrade as this is an known problem.

Sadly i didnt have time for the upgrade prior to the Mallin trip

ATB

Mark

Because I Can Diveimage is an unknown quantity at this point Diveimage's Avatar
    MEG

AP Classic&Evo Meg Copis&APECS

Hi Mark,

Great trip report! thoroughly enjoyed reading about your exploits.

Have done a few trips on Loyal Watcher & yes Linda and Darren are top hosts!
    But letís not forget who the real boss is aboard Loyal WatcherÖ..

Cheers
    Simon

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

how big is the moisture absorber you put at the bottom of the inhale lung?

if you take it the good size it can capture +/- a pint , well at least a belgian pint (0.25 liter)
    if you put 2 in, half a liter

if you have quite some water in the inhale lung, the advise is not to dive on minimum lung volumen and not go completely vertical: this saves your cells

if you go off loop, and vertical, don't suck the lung negative

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

JJ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    how big is the moisture absorber you put at the bottom of the inhale lung?

if you take it the good size it can capture +/- a pint , well at least a belgian pint (0.25 liter)
    if you put 2 in, half a liter

if you have quite some water in the inhale lung, the advise is not to dive on minimum lung volumen and not go completely vertical: this saves your cells

if you go off loop, and vertical, don't suck the lung negative

paul

Paul is there a product and a shape size you recommend for the moisture pads?

I have never used pads before as I was concerned about them on several levels and generally didn't need them on the KISS or Inspo, but i can see the need for one in the inhale lung on the rEvo to protect the cells.

On the inspo we had little caps that shrouded the molex connectors and located in the cells. These would seem ideal for keeping the worst of it away from the cells. Id also consider some form of sealant in the top of the cap to increase its water repellent potential.

Is there any problem with doing this that I haven't thought of?

PS I really noticed how much easier it was to scooter using the rEvo (with front mount 02 add). Even thow my humble Gavin Scooter is not as fast as the X scooters i was keeping up with them no problem at all.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Question Re: Dives 5 & 6 BOV repairs and rEvo full flood

Mark
    Was there not an issue in the old days about molex cells on the Inspo with I think red caps on the back that were sealed causing problems with readings etc ? I think it was before I started ccr but I remember something like that .
    Also interested in the absorbent pads

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

the pull cord on the back of a mini is not ment to be pulled uw to dump water. it is ment for pulling it during cleaning. pulling it underwater will just add to the water entry.

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

you need to make sure that the back of the sensor is at the same pressure as the front, if you look inside the cell you will see a small hole in the circuit board, this is a balance hole and its what caused a problem with some of the early inspo cells. Too much conformacoat by an over enthusiastic cell builder sealed it off!!

The inspo red caps have a small hole in them to balance pressure

HTH

Dave

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Paul is there a product and a shape size you recommend for the moisture pads?

Hey Mark: You *did* take a course, right? This is supposed to be taught by all rEvo instructors.

The standard is to use two pads of synthetic automobile drying chamois, the sort of stuff that you buy in a packet that is already a little moist to the toutch for drying polished surfaces. Simply cut two pieces about 3 inch by 10 inches, and then let them dry *completely*. They will be as stiff as a board when completely dry. Fold them in half (lengthwise) and stick one down into the bottom fold of each counterlung. They will then pick up any small amount of water that might get into the rig, up to a half liter per pad, as Paul says.

You REALLY need to work to flood one thru the scrubbers and into the inhale CL plenum, where the cells are located. I've never seen one flood this badly, even doing drills with students who forget to close the DSV in training.

One other point... and one that I'll make delicately:

We never intiate a dive with a known failure of a rig. That rig should have been sitting on the deck after a diphragm failure... as should it's diver. No dive is worth pushing boken equipment.

Carry the original DSV with you, it only takes a few moments to swap out.

In any event, well done and well shared.

Dave