+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a reel

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Looking for a reel

Hi,

I am looking for a good reel, for use on OW.

Would like one of good quality, at least 200 m (600 feet) wire lenght, easy to deploy and collect, and one anti-entaglement -if such a reel exists-.

Have seen this one of 250 m Gibielle torce subacquee e Articoli Subacquei

Have you tried this ? Any other recommendations ?

TIA
    Andrés

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

Re: Looking for a reel

This might work for you.
    The Golem Exploration reel have an anti-fouling design
    Precission made from high quality materials. Custom made line with kevlar core.

lEEbo lEEblEEdErs seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick's Avatar
    rEvo II Micro FT mCCR

Shearwater Meg DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by andrespp  View Original Post
    Hi,

I am looking for a good reel, for use on OW.

Would like one of good quality, at least 200 m (600 feet) wire lenght, easy to deploy and collect, and one anti-entaglement -if such a reel exists-.

Have seen this one of 250 m Gibielle torce subacquee e Articoli Subacquei

Have you tried this ? Any other recommendations ?

TIA
    Andrés
    I'll vouch for the quality of the Golem reel.

Closed Account Teabag is an unknown quantity at this point Teabag's Avatar

Check out Kent Tooling's reels - superb quality and will last a lifetime.

Diving Products - Home

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Practical Diving Products (Australia) - Practical Diving Products
    Used by many of my buddies

Reef Scuba (USA) - Dive Reels-Long Island Tension Reel
    What I use

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

I have a dir zone reel, same as the H Pathfinder reels but cheaper. Very cool reels.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I use two reels

1st is the Halcyon Pathfinder which offers tangle free easy line laying capability. It is by far the best line laying reel I have tried. The DIR Zone / Salvo / Golum copys all work on the same concept of tight tolerances preventing line trap.

These reels are very expensive but you don't normally use them for SMB work so your not worried about loosing them.

My SMB reel is a cheep £25 beaver ratchet reel. It works great and i have had very few tangles on it but most importantly its a disposable item.

I much prefer ratchet reels for SMB work. i don't do the whole ascent thinking I may accidentaly drop it. If you want a quality version of the Ratchet reel the Kent Tooling version is solid Stainless steel and has ratchet and free spool options. Its a stunning bit of kit but heavy and expensive to loose.

ATB

Mark

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    My SMB reel is a cheep £25 beaver ratchet reel. It works great and i have had very few tangles on it but most importantly its a disposable item.

I much prefer ratchet reels for SMB work. i don't do the whole ascent thinking I may accidental drop it. If you want a quality version of the Ratchet reel the Kent Tooling version is solid Stainless steel and has ratchet and free spool options. Its a stunning bit of kit but heavy and expensive to loose.
    Another vote for cheap plastic ratchet reels.

After 10 years of insistently using D-R reels and having miserable stressed ascents, I allowed myself to be persuaded to buy a McMahon ratchet reel this year. Large, plastic, easy to rig and easy to use - I'm never going back to anything else for ascents. And, at 36 quid, essentially disposable.

The KT reel is a work of art, but having tried one, I found it far too heavy. The McMahon floats out of the way of stages etc.

Cheers,

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Another vote for the Reefscuba reel. You can take the cylinder off the reel u/w without fear of losing any parts. It allows you to clear any birdsnests with ease.

Plus, the customer service is excellent. I saw their booth at Beneath the Sea one year and when one of their personnel asked if I was interested in buying one of their reels I said I had three already. He asked if I had them at the show, I didn't, but I was going to be back the next day and could bring them. When I did, he took them apart and gave each a tune up. I also didn't like the way one of the handles was (I think it got a bit bent or something) and they replaced it. All was done for free and they handed me tune up kits (a little plastic disc, a couple of o-rings, and I think maybe a little thing of silicon) for each one. They also printed up name labels for each of them so that they wouldn't disappear on a dive boat. Definitely a first class company.
    Last edited by onetime; 10th September 2009 at 14:39.

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by PhilSiswick  View Original Post
    I allowed myself to be persuaded to buy a McMahon ratchet reel this year. Large, plastic, easy to rig and easy to use - I'm never going back to anything else for ascents. And, at 36 quid, essentially disposable.
    This is what I use for SMB work too, but it doesn't have anywhere near 600' of line on it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast