+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frog rebreather

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Frog rebreather

Has anyone dived or reviewed the FROG rebreather?? - it looks very simple and elegant? - not sure if they are still going?

REBREATHER TECHNOLOGIES, INC

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Frog rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    Has anyone dived or reviewed the FROG rebreather?? - it looks very simple and elegant? - not sure if they are still going?

I've heard lots about this unit over the years, but, diving around Canada
    and the USA, and I've yet to see one owned or operated by another diver
    besides the builder.
    So, if anyone has one lets hear your input.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post

Even the dusty old rig Barney drags around to the the trade shows is incomplete and not ready for the water so I would be surprised if there were any diveable units out there.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Lee Thompson dragerdiver is an unknown quantity at this point dragerdiver's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Dolphin, Ray

Several years ago, the dive shop owner I was teaching Drager rebreathers for got in a pissing match with drager, over price fixing. And could not come to terms with other available rebreather makers. She ran into Barnie at dema and after returning, had a staff meeting, where Barnie gave his famous one armed man can do it demo of the frog rebreather, He showed us the semi closed model, and stated that it was upgradable to eCCR, 3 instructors 1 being the dive shop owner bought into the program, from Barnie. They all took an impropto user courses in the pool at the YMCA the next day, and then a day of trying to get the units to work in a local quarry, at the end they all recieved instructor ratings and got to keep the rebreather that they had used, that was the last time I even know that those rebreathers ever got dove, I talked to all three, the dive shop owner told me the unit was easier to use than the dragers, instructor #2 refused to answer any questions I asked him about his unit or experiance. but Instructor #3 told me what I believe to be the truth, he said that its hard to calibrate, and under water does not breath very well. He played around with it for several more dive but gave up diving, but I still talk to him and he has said that the Eccr upgrade has never surfaced. But it is a very simple design from what I remember. But I do remember that Barnie did make a very successful rescue rebreather, how ever it was short lived and I have not heard anything else about Barnie or his rebreather's, On another not I had heard he was running an underwater habitat, that any certified diver could stay at over night.
    Lee

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

One of the dive shops I used in Chicago, which is now defunct, had pamphlets and I think a rig sitting in the back of their shop... This was almost 6-7 years ago... Never dove...

Move along, allot other more promising units out there....

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Even the dusty old rig Barney drags around to the the trade shows is incomplete and not ready for the water so I would be surprised if there were any diveable units out there.
    Yea, this is what I was thinking.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    One of the dive shops I used in Chicago, which is now defunct, had pamphlets and I think a rig sitting in the back of their shop... This was almost 6-7 years ago... Never dove...

Move along, allot other more promising units out there....
    Bet it was an ANDI shop. The ANDI trimix manual used to have a page advertisement for a "gator" which is essentially the same rebreather. Ed Betts was pretty stoked on these things a few years back.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Bet it was an ANDI shop. The ANDI trimix manual used to have a page advertisement for a "gator" which is essentially the same rebreather. Ed Betts was pretty stoked on these things a few years back.
    It had potetial but Barney never wanted to make the changes that Ed wanted, hece it ws dropped pretty quickly.. BTW it was to be marketed as an scr but in reality was no different than any constant o2 mas fow rebreather out there.. It was nt considered a CCR at the time since there was always a constant bleed of gas ito the loop (oxygen). It used a needle valve which proverd to be quite tempremental..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Too ugly to get laid bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman's Avatar
    Hammerhead Classic

The unit appeared at the recent dive show, anyone know if it was ready now?

RBW Member Britt is an unknown quantity at this point Britt's Avatar
    Apecs Megalodon

LAR-V

Quote Originally Posted by bherman  View Original Post
    The unit appeared at the recent dive show, anyone know if it was ready now?
    As I recall, I stopped by the booth at the DEMA in 2009 and took a look at it. I was once an MDEA Instructor (the MDEA based in Nashville) and when I mentioned it to them, they seemed to shy away from my questions about the unit and its capabilities. It seems that the FROG is endorsed by the MDEA out of Marathon FL.

I must admit that I have not seen one in the water and the unit they had on display didnt seem operational. My biggest concern I had was the canister seemed really thin. I asked them about it and I was told that it didnt need to be thick since it was pressurized... I didnt need to ask them anything else after that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast