+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The bell is still on the Transylvania!!

RBW Member CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT's Avatar

The bell is still on the Transylvania!!

Just got back from a fantastic week diving the incredible wrecks, in the Atlantic, off Donegal, Ireland.

This was my 3rd visit to the same boat/accommodation and as we were diving in the 80 - 135m range, my main buddy John & I thought we would pay a prep visit to Dorothea Quarry which offers 105m of black & v cold water.

We retained the 1st class Martin Robson of Eau2 Technical EAU2 Technical Diver Training Home Page with whom I had done my Mod 3 CCR course at Dorothea and who had undertaken all of John's Mod 1-3 courses.

We had two very useful days with Martin at Dorothea when we did two 100m+ dives carrying nine bailout cylinders between us as being an inland site there is no boat to chuck in a dropset line.

Martin was fantastic, as always, and probed us for weaknesses in our Dorothea diving strategy and also discussed our Donegal emergency procedures with us as well.

It was the best way to guarantee, in the absence of any booked 100m+ sea dives, that we were well dived up for our Donegal trip.

Our Donegal trip started with a warm-up dive on the Viknor in 85m with vis of about 15m and it was great to dive again on this only recently identified wreck. Everyone dived well although a certain member of the Scottish contingency appeared conveniently to be number dyslexic

He did somewhat stretch his stated runtime, well only by 1hr 10 mins
    Words were said, let's leave it at that!

Monday saw us dive the best wreck of the week, the Amazon in 115m, with 30m of vis, a big 10,000 ton wreck, a lovely bow and lots of artifacts. This was a fab dive and we will revisit next year.

Tuesday was a fallback Audacious day which no one did as we knew by then that Thursday's weather was a go for the Transylvania so a late breakfast etc

Wednesday saw us dive the Devonian in 80m which I wanted to revisit for reasons some of you will be aware of. We had slightly disapointing vis of about 12-15m here but a lovely long dive which enabled us to slowly pootle around most of the wreck. Again this is another large wreck.

Thursday was the big day when three of us, supported by two safety divers, dived the Transylavania. We were meant to be four but the 4th diver had gotten into a wrestling match, two weeks earlier, with a farm fence post (it won) and his foot had swollen up during the week so he sensibly opted out of further diving.

The weather was sunny with near perfect sea conditions for the 40 mile run out to the Transylvania in 135m. Two of us dived RMS Egypt in October 2007 but this would be our deepest dive to date.

The vis was suprisingly poor with about 15m at max depth so pretty dark, just the reason the Metalsub HID 200 was invented!

We went to the bow from the bridge and coming back up the starbord side, one of the guys spotted the bell sitting in plain view

It didn't want to move, so we saw it and touched it but left it in place

A bottom time of approx 25 mins saw us doing runtimes of 240-300 mins and we met our deep safety diver at 50m on the way back up who then detached the lazy shotline for us and followed us up.

The shallow safety diver took over from 9m and I would really like to express my (and the other two divers) full appreciation of the safety roles undertaken by these two guys who provided some four hours of cover between them

Friday saw winds and steady rain so we just chilled out with a lazy long breakfast etc.

Equipment used: Inspiration Visions x 3, Inspiration Evolution Plus & Megs x2.

The Evolution Plus with its black matt new shape case and yellow logos looked a horny piece of kit and the diver sensibly added another 2 litre O2 cylinder to the case as 2 litres of O2 was not enough (particularly when you're number dyslexic!).

Pete & Mark missed a brilliant week for very understandble reasons but both are down for next year and I look forward to their enjoying the delights of Donegal then

DONEGAL 2010

August Sunday 1 - Friday 6, six days diving, 85m - 135m inc Amazon, Carinthia & Transylvania

August Sunday 8 - Friday 13, six days diving, either 65m - 85m inc Justicia and newly discovered wrecks OR 85m - 135m if the demand is from those wanting the deeper wrecks.

Please contact me on ct@charliet.co.uk or ring me on 07774 607277 if you are interested in either of these two weeks.

I have been running UK dive trips for well over ten years, SAFELY

No its always that colour the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler's Avatar

Talking Re: The bell is still on the Transylvania!!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT  View Original Post

We went to the bow from the bridge and coming back up the starbord side, one of the guys spotted the bell sitting in plain view
    I am fueling the rib and jeep

RBW Member womble has a spectacular aura about womble has a spectacular aura about womble has a spectacular aura about womble has a spectacular aura about womble has a spectacular aura about womble has a spectacular aura about womble's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Meg

Re: The bell is still on the Transylvania!!

Congrats to Charlie for organising another successful trip.

I got a pretty good insight into the organising of the trip and I have to say that I found it fascinating.

Congrats to Charlie and Chi for their new PB of 135m! Quite an undertaking!!

Due to personal reasons, I wasnt able to make this trip, but at least I can say some of my kit got to Donegal even if I didnt!!

Roll on next year

PS Charlie, gimme a shout if you are up for Dorrie one weekend . . . .

RBW Member CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the diving tiler  View Original Post
    I am fueling the rib and jeep
    Don't want to rain on your parade but the group out there now have dived once on Mr T but ran out of time as their navigation wasn't much cop

[quote=womble;275100]Congrats to Charlie for organising another successful trip.

I got a pretty good insight into the organising of the trip and I have to say that I found it fascinating.

Congrats to Charlie and Chi for their new PB of 135m! Quite an undertaking!!

Due to personal reasons, I wasnt able to make this trip, but at least I can say some of my kit got to Donegal even if I didnt!!

Roll on next year

PS Charlie, gimme a shout if you are up for Dorrie one weekend . . . .

Thanks, Pete, for the loan of those four 11's.

Shame you couldn't come but next year you'll be there, I'm sure

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

RBW Member Alan Price is an unknown quantity at this point Alan Price's Avatar

Great report. WHO did yous use to go diving up there?? We live in Dublin so we work out off Downings or Malin Head.

Regards Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    Hi Pawel

Can't remember, did you say you wanted to come on the 2010 Expedition?

Charlie

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT  View Original Post
    Hi Pawel

Can't remember, did you say you wanted to come on the 2010 Expedition?

Charlie
    thought I'm already on!

Cheers,
    Pav
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    thought I'm already on!

Cheers,
    Pav
    You certainly are now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast