+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RBW Design Group Ideas

RBW Member tumbler is an unknown quantity at this point tumbler's Avatar

RBW Design Group Ideas

Personally, I would like to see an open source rebreather effort organized based on these concepts. The Arduino, for instance is a completely open source microcontroller that seems very suitable to the task of controlling rebreathers. I've actually already started to code up the framework for a basic loop controller using this board, and I think it's going to work out wonderfully. Of course, any code I write will be GPL and totally open source if anyone is interested in collaboration. Other people like Skipbreather have already shared their plans for things like radial scrubber designs. There is probably enough electrical, software and mechanical engineering talent on RBW to really come up with something great if it could all be pointed in the same direction.
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 17th August 2009 at 04:18.

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

Re: Open Source Rebreather Design Idea

I have a dual radial scrubber design that should be completed by next month, I would be more than willing to submit full schematics of this portion to go with your controller. A nice set of open source lungs and ALBOV idea would just about give a full start to developement.

Cheers,
    Hunter

DOH! 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68 is a splendid one to behold 19Hunter68's Avatar
    IDA72 - sorrta

OSTC seems too be a nice monitoring solution as well.

Cheers,
    Hunter

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Well, let's do it. Not sure how it'll work out with a lot of strong personalities coming together to build something like a rebreather but, what you guys are talking about in terms of open source is what really got me interested in the topic (hence the origin of this thread) and I'd love to see it implemented.

Anyone else on board for a try?

I'm in.

Discussion on build and unit first?

Uses and needs?

Can the Mods make a seperate forum for it?

IDA72 - sorrta

O.k. as long as any and all aspects of piecing this together can be open for peer review and agreed upon no matter how far along it gets.

Cheers,
    Hunter

-------------
    it can be done!

WOW! I'm pretty impressed by how much interest there is in this! I have to say though, that development from my side won't be lightning fast. I have a pretty good background in electronics and computers, but the Arduino uses the C programming language which is pretty new to me.

The only thing that I want to see beyond a pretty standard radial scrubber rebreather design is the ability blow moisture off the sensor faces using diluent. The Cis-Lunar had this and I always wish I had it whenever the second sensor starts getting voted out on my meg.

But, hey... It's a project, so I bet a lot of people have ideas on ways to eliminate pain points with their respective breathers. So long as we try to use a modular approach, it seems like we can pick and choose the features we like and leave the others on the boat.

Dude, You read my mind on the dil or O2 puff on the sensor face. Depending on design.

Like to see radial. But, Dual just in case of a break through on one or the other. Szorb is cheap. Or Sorb. To used to Szorb. LOL

Mod's can we have this split off into another forum please?

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler  View Original Post
    The only thing that I want to see beyond a pretty standard radial scrubber rebreather design is the ability blow moisture off the sensor faces using diluent. The Cis-Lunar had this and I always wish I had it whenever the second sensor starts getting voted out on my meg.

IDA72 - sorrta

the blow off feature only for that and not for actual dil add, right???

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    O.k. as long as any and all aspects of piecing this together can be open for peer review and agreed upon no matter how far along it gets.
    I think this should be a requirement from the beginning. In order for the project to thrive, everything needs to be open for improvement and expansion. I need to read up on how the GPL applies to things other than software, but I like the way it legally binds all works and derivative works to be licensed under the same open terms. For example, if I write a program, I have to release the source code. If you take my program and make it better, you have to release the source code of your changes as well. This is not to say that you can't distribute and sell your improved version, but you have to distribute the source code along with the compiled binaries.

Hopefully (and I need to look into this) the GPL will cover hardware as well. In this case for instance, you build a scrubber under the GPL and someone comes up with a mod that includes a spring that makes packing it 100X easier. That someone has to publish and distribute the plans for the new design. Again, they can sell the completed scrubber if they want, but the box that they ship it in HAS to include the plans. The idea is to make improvement on existing design easy.

Usually these projects start humbly. That is to say that a core set of requirements are laid out and some basic details are worked out about how they are going to fit together. This is likely to take some time since lots of people have lots of different ideas about what might be best. Undoubtedly this leads to some lively discussion which is actually a really good thing. Strong opinions are great, but there should be an expectation of kindness and respect among developers while the details are worked out. Cases are made, discussions are had, and eventually a standard is settled upon.

I, for instance ordered a couple of Arduino boards about a month ago. I like this board because it's open source from the ground up and seems more than powerful enough to control the rebreather that I have in my head. If, however, the group decides that the scope of the design is beyond what the Arduino can handle, it's time to start shopping for a different microcontroller. The only limiting factor then, becomes the requirement that the board is open source, since that seems to be a basic spec of the design requirements.

Anoyhow, I'm ramblin'. I'll start reading up on GPL and Creative Commons licensing and get back to ya.
    Last edited by tumbler; 16th August 2009 at 20:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast