+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Curious about rebreathers

RBW Member tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris's Avatar
    Evolution, Side-mount Meg

Meg

Re: Curious about rebreathers

Early on in my rebreather information search I asked this same question. The best answer I got back was from Mark at Rebreather Express. He felt the the designer/manufacturer designed the unit with a type of diving in mind. He used the Insp/Evo as boat diving. The Optima for cave diving. The Sentinal for expedition diving and so forth. While you can dive a unit
    just about any where you want I have found his statement to have some merit to it. For example I own an Evo and Meg and do find that checks are easier when boat diving when compared to the Meg which I still boat with but do the checks the night before and leave the power supplies on but turn on the powersave features and turn off the Hud.

Looking back I wish I had done a demo day but still satisfied but designing the perfect unit I would have the follwing:

back mount CL like the rEvo but no special harness or case.

Single handset with Auto setpoint on ascents and descents

Onboard deco

Modular-could be used back mount, side mount, etc.

Onboard or offboard gas when traveling.

Open system no cases can be used with a standard harness.

CO2 monitoring like the Sentinel Expedition

Factory BOV

connection to offboard trimix

flow stops on BOV and manual inflate addition

easy to change scrubber like rEvo

nice big water trap like the Meg

durable and heavy duty

off the shelf parts and tools to repair unit

I could be here all day. It is doubtful to find the perfect unit so find people diving CCR in the same environments as you want to dive in and pick their brain.

Thanks guy's some great info. I am kinda leading more toward the insp./Evo i like it in how it works and the fact that it has been CE cert. is very nice. but i will also check out the APOC if i can locate some info

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a22shady  View Original Post
    Thanks guy's some great info. I am kinda leading more toward the insp./Evo i like it in how it works and the fact that it has been CE cert. is very nice. but i will also check out the APOC if i can locate some info

The apoc thing was a joke foisted on you by some unkind people here who are making a joke at your expense. It's not yet a viable selection and may not be for some time. Take a trial on a few rigs and see how they feel. Try both over the shoulder and internal counterlung rebreathers so you can feel them in the water. And seriously consider a mCCR so you actually learn how to run one before letting a controller do the work for you. Mishap statistics, although somewhat controversial, show that mCCR's have a far lower mishap rate than eCCR's, somewhere on an order of magnitude less.

Dave

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Doug and Hunter let's give it a rest OK? This thread is for a new member trying to obtain information.

RBW Member JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF's Avatar
    rEvo III Hyb Min, rEvo II STD

CK, SK, CCR 2000, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bowen  View Original Post
    Doug and Hunter let's give it a rest OK? This thread is for a new member trying to obtain information.
    Hi Linda,

LMAO! You sound like my wife and I disciplining our kids

Cheers

RBW Member JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF's Avatar
    rEvo III Hyb Min, rEvo II STD

CK, SK, CCR 2000, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by a22shady  View Original Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I was going to sign up that is where i did my training with TSC But scheduling conflicts i will be out of town that weekend.
    a22shady,

No worries, call me at the shop and we will set something up! We have a bunch of breathers at the shop, we can do unit break downs so you can see what makes them tick and then we can hop in the pool or go to Dutch and take them on a dive or two!

P.S. Any reason why your hung up on the CE rating? Not saying that it's a bad thing, just curious.

P.S.S I am going to be very hard to reach over the next week and a half. I have a KISS Course starting tomorrow and going straight through till Wednesday or thursday and then wwe are kicking off the KISS Rebreather Demo Event on Friday August 21 - 23. you can shoot me an e-mail to jasonf@tscscuba.com also.

Cheers

Hey Thanks guy's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2