+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Curious about rebreathers

Curious about rebreathers

I have been looking around at the different models and features and probably only understand 1/3 of them. But i was wondering and i know many will have there opinons but is there a "best" rebreather out today. I noticed that inspiration/Evolution is the only one i could find that was CE certified that doesn't make it the best but im sure does not hurt it's popularity. Any advice and why you might think that would be great,
    Thanks for the help, Steve

RBW Member Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

MEG (COPIS II)

Re: Curious about rebreathers

If you want an unbiased and indepth breakdown of the main units on the market then I'd get hold of a copy of Dr Mel Clark's book 'CCR Simplified'. Divers tend to defend their own units in much the same way manufacturers are biased. Mel owns and instructs on pretty much everything so she knows the units back to front, worts and all.

What type of diving do you want to do?

Do you want to travel with it?

Is portability a thing you want? ie, want to travel on a plane with it?

What type of depths?

Is Money a big concern? Lot of these can range up to $10,000 US.

What type of diving do you want to do?

Mainly Sprt / Recreational Diving. Avg. Depths Do some wrecks and cave's. I do not think i would be anything Tech Nothing more then 130' but then again never know

Do you want to travel with it? I guess i would like to but it would not be a neccasity

Is portability a thing you want? ie, want to travel on a plane with it?

Same As above

What type of depths?

I don't think i would go past the Rec Limit but as time goes on things could change but for now im more then happy with that limit

Is Money a big concern?

Lot of these can range up to $10,000 US.
    Money is always a concern when it comes down to it. But the product can very well make the the reason. Would a spend 10.00 for a coke when i can get a pepsi for a 1.00 no but if there were reasons to spend the money Yes especially when it comes to my life.

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

My advice is to hang around rebreather divers and annoy them with questions. Read up on these forums. Go hunt about on manufacturer sites and other sites that deal with rebreathers. Rea books, like Mel's as well.

In time, you will get a feel for these machines, and how the various approaches fit you as a person. Some will appeal more than others.

Eventually, you will simply know which nit will best suit you and the diving you do / will do later.

This process took me quite a while (couple of years really, from the first initial thought to sticking my face into the water on a unit for real) is I feel is an integral part of the rebreather journey.

Enjoy!

Andy

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    wait for the APOC.

Regards,
    Hunter
    And good luck to you!

The Mayas have estimated it to 21th Dec 2012...

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

You're in New Jersey, right? Sign up for the KISS demo at Dutch Springs 8/21-8/23. Call Jason at 908-359-1250.

--
    Art

Thanks for the info everyone. I was going to sign up that is where i did my training with TSC But scheduling conflicts i will be out of town that weekend.

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art Greenberg  View Original Post
    You're in New Jersey, right? Sign up for the KISS demo at Dutch Springs 8/21-8/23. Call Jason at 908-359-1250.

--
    Art

Welcome aboard! NJ has a pretty good group of CCR divers, Art being one of the regulars (and a diver on my boat as well). Jason's shop has the best election of tech gear in NJ and is where I hang my hat when I teach CCR's. It's a great place and filled with good people.

I know that Jason is doing a KISS demo next weekend, unfortunately I need to run the boat that day so cannot attend. Jason has also asked me to do a rEvo demo day as well, so look for that in mid- September too. Either the rEvo or the KISS are the first choices for us for entrant rebreather divers due to their method of operation, and many people believe that the rEvo is the most modular and growth-capable rebreather out there. If you want to play with one (or any of a number of other rigs) let me know. I'm in Union Beach, just off the Parkway on your way to Sandy Hook (2 miles from Exit 117), and 2 blocks from the beach). I do test diving at Dutch Springs whenever I need to, whenever the weather is bad (or I need to really wash the salt out of a rig!), so if you want to meet there and play, let me know. I can toss you in shallow water with a rig almost anytime for a one-on-one demo.

Best,

Dave

Team HPDW Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey is a jewel in the rough Paul Bailey's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

JJ-CCR - KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by 19Hunter68  View Original Post
    wait for the APOC.

Regards,
    Hunter
    And wait
    And wait
    And wait
    And wait
    And wait