+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breaks

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Iím preparing a dive plan for a quite deep and therefore quite a long dive. Without getting bogged down in the actual dive plan there is a deco (time) need for a setpoint of 1.3 or 1.4 and as a result the CNS clock hits about 300%.

Assuming that on this dive one could easily be on a setpoint of 1.4 for 9 hours what are peoples theories on Ďair breaksí? When I say air breaks I am referring to the concept of taking a break from typically breathing 100% O2 for extended periods. Iím thinking about transferring that line of reasoning to a whole CCR dive.

To my non medically trained brain it seems reasonable that if we should take an air break when breathing O2 for long periods then there still exists a need to have a break from a pO2 of 1.4 after a certain amount of time. If this is the case, what should the break schedule look like?
    I dont bother with breaks if the setpoint is 1.3.

No theory behind it- Its just what Ive always done.

On the 191m dive 8 hours of deco, around 6 hours was spent at 1.3, no air breaks.

It made very little difference decoing out at 1.3 or 1.4 for this dive so I chose the lower setpoint so as to have less of a problem with it.

But like I said I have no facts to back it up.

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Any irritation of the lungs on that dive Mike? I get a bit of a dry cough after 3 hours. AB tells me that sorb may have a part to play as well as the O2.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Any irritation of the lungs on that dive Mike? I get a bit of a dry cough after 3 hours. AB tells me that sorb may have a part to play as well as the O2.
    None at all.

I find if I do any more than an hour on 1.6 I can feel it, but on long hangs on 1.3 Ive never felt any irritation.

Hardly scientific though.:D

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

To expand on this.

In anaesthesia we use HME filters that are effective enough to remove virus sized particles from circuit gas. I honestly don't know how much fine particulate sorb actually ends up in your lungs diving a RB but I'd bet that it is more than none. Sorb in your eye hurts (done that). Sorb on your bronchial mucosa will undoubtable make you cough even in very small amounts.

The other likely culprits that may irritate your lungs would be nebulised water (you'll always get some even on an RB), other "crud" from inside your loop, and of course O2 toxicity effects on your lungs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2