+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Art and Tina on EXPLORER 2-August-2009

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Art and Tina on EXPLORER 2-August-2009

I'd been sick with a cold for a few weeks, and I had to stay on deck and watch Tina dive a couple of times off New Jersey. Before I got sick we'd arranged to dive with Dave ****** on EXPLORER 8/1-8/2, and I was really glad my cold cleared in time to make the trip.

The plan was to spend the entire weekend in Rhode Island. Arrive late Friday, dive the Black Point on Saturday and the U853 on Sunday, drive home on Monday. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. With the forecast late Friday calling for 3-5 foot seas, Dave called the Saturday dives, so we stayed home Friday night. We spoke with Dave on Saturday morning and he told us that Sunday looked good. So we left the house around 10AM on Saturday. Traffic in CT was horrible, and it took us about 5.5 hours to get to the boat, and hour more than expected. We should have left earlier.

On arrival we loaded our gear and set it up for diving as much as we could. We tied our rigs to the stern rail and put the last minute items (fins, hood, gloves, mask, reels, etc.) into fish totes supplied by Dave.

I had picked up steaks and potatoes for dinner Saturday. Dave's mate and second Captain Jan made up a big bowl of salad and put the spuds in the oven, and I grilled the steaks on the propane grill. There were six of us; Dave and Jan, Dave's rEvo student Ian, Bryan, an open circuit diver also from New Jersey, and Tina and me.

After dinner, Dave gave a very thorough briefing on the U853. He showed us drawings of that class U-boat so we knew what to expect. After that, Tina and I decided on a dive plan and went to sleep.

Tina and I bunked in the V-berth on this trip. Its not as spacious as the Captain's cabin, but it was plenty comfortable. We will have to remember to pack even lighter next time, though. There isn't much storage space in the v-berth. With our dry stuff at the foot of the bunk, I had to put my feet on top of some of it to sleep with my legs straight. [Dave tells me that we missed quite a bit of storage under the bunks - he'll show us how to access it next time we're there.]

Dave got the boat under way to the U853 at 4:45AM. Explorer is not a really fast boat, and Dave wanted to be on the wreck early to assure being able to acquire a mooring. We arrived at the wreck at 7AM. No other boat came out to the submarine, we had the wreck to ourselves all day.

Dave knew that the mooring he wanted to use was gone. The plan was to use the stern mooring, but Dave was uncertain of its condition. So he had Ian and Bryan take down a safety line, and Dave used that as a backup, leaving some slack in it. It turned out to be a sensible but unnecessary precaution, as the old mooring held fine all day.

Tina and I geared up to splash once Ian and Bryan had sent up a marker to signal that the safety line was set. Tina went in first. Unfortunately, her mouthpiece parted from the BOV when she hit the water. Dave and Jan got Tina safely back on board in a hurry. After Tina had calmed down, we pulled off her scrubber to see if there was any water in it. There was just a little, so we refilled the scrubber and reinstalled the mouthpiece. Tina's SeaCure floated and Dave was able to recover it. On inspection, it looked like the cable tie had lost a couple of teeth, and it had loosened up. Tina and I reset for the second attempt. We waited until Ian and Bryan returned from their dive, then we jumped in. It was 11AM.

We hit the deck of the submarine at 115 feet. It seemed like a long way down for this, only my second salt water dive of the season. We'd determined our maximum bottom time based on bailout volume, which was very much the limiting factor for this depth. We had a plan for 110 as well as 120. We decided to use 120, so we knew we had to start our ascent after no more than 20 minutes.

Visibility on the wreck was about 10 feet, and the water temperature was 55 degrees. There was a very slight current running toward the bow, so we headed into the current, toward the stern. We stayed on the top of the wreck for the most part. Before long we hit the stern, so we turned and headed forward. We passed by the mooring and the stern torpedo loading tube. A bit forward of that we would have seen one of the two openings created by depth charges, but we were moving quite slowly and hadn't made it that far when it was time to turn the dive. Ascent was quite slow, around 10 feet per minute, and entirely uneventful. After a solid 5 minutes at 20 feet, we headed up to the granny line.

The granny line terminates on the surface near the stern of the boat (it really is a granny line, not a Carolina rig). The visibility near the surface was good, but not good enough to be able to see the equipment line from the upline. Tina chose not to descend on the equipment line, instead she went to the ladder with her bailout on. I dropped down the equipment line, found a couple of rings at about 10 feet and clipped my bailout off on the line before ascending to the ladder.

We'd planned a run time of 40 minutes. Executed run time was 36 minutes. We took 5 minutes to get to the wreck, and started back up at about 18 minutes. The remaining 18 minutes was used in ascent and the safety stop. Based on drawings of the U853 class submarine, we figure that we saw between 1/4 and 1/3 of the length of the wreck. It was a nice dive. Too bad it was so short.

Ian and Bryan went in for their second dive after we were back on board. They disconnected the safety line and floated it up on a lift bag, and Dave and Jan collected it. After the divers were on board, Jan disconnected Explorer from the mooring and we were under way to home port in Point Judith Pond.

On the way in we rinsed our gear and set it out to dry as much as it could. At the dock, we took most of our gear off the boat and started packing our car for the trip home the next morning. By 5PM we were all showered and ready for dinner (the marina's shower and bathroom facilities are really nice). Bryan decided to head home right away. The rest of us headed out to George's of Galilee for some great New England seafood.

We left the boat at 8:15AM, and headed up to Portsmouth RI to visit with Tina's aunt for breakfast. We left Portsmouth at 11AM. We stopped for fuel and lunch along the way, and at the dive shop in Hillsborough to refill our cylinders. We arrived home at 5:45PM.

Thanks to Captain Dave ****** and mate Jan for another great weekend aboard EXPLORER, and congratulations to Ian on his successful crossover to the rEvo!

We're getting into the busy part of our summer, so it may be a while before we get to dive from EXPLORER again. But we are very much looking forward to it.

--
    Art Greenberg
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 11th August 2009 at 18:17.

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Re: Art and Tina on EXPLORER 2-August-2009

Thanks for the report, Art. Glad to hear you and Tina have been able to get wet a couple of times this summer.

Doug

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

We did have a great trip. I stuck Art and Tina up forward so we could open the pilot-berth in my cabin up for another diver, and I apparently forgot to show them the stowage up there. No need to stow your seabag in the bunk with you! I posted this on TDS, just to make note that stowage aboard is not an issue...

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Uhh....... Art: Did you miss the large hanging-locker with the sliding doors on the port side of the forward cabin, and the HUGE under-bunk locker accessed thru the pull-door at the foot of the bunk? If I failed to show it to you, my bad. Sorry! There's enough room under the bunks, accessed thru the pull-door, to stash two more people, never mind a seabag... In fact, I stash 4 sets of doubles there as well as two more fish totes when I need to hide my own gear. I'm thinking of converting it into galley-slave quarters... And there's the EIGHT pull out drawers, into which I expect folks to stash their stuff and then to stash your (now empty) seabags into. Plus there is a huge area under the sink in the forward head, just slide the doors open (enough space for a dive-gear bag full-o-crap) as well as the area behind the sliding doors above the sink. And space under the ladder going down in to the cabin, PLUS the door there that leads into the engine room, where we dry out clothes and gear in the zero-humidity air......

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We're looking forward to next weekend. Conditions are still good and a new mooring has been set on the U-853's conning tower. EXPLORER is in fine-fettle and ready to go. Boris and Natasha (my port and starboard Cat 3208's) are ready to wake up early and do their thing, and chow is ordered. Jan will be missing for a week or two, but Mizzen, the Sea-Dog, will be at her station (sleeping in the Captains shower if things get rough) as faithful crew.

Doug, when are you going to come and join us?

Best,

Dave

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Sounds like a great time guys. We're putting together the same trip in a week, people. Let me know if you want in.

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

Dave-PM sent regarding trip/x-over training

+ Reply to Thread