+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Learned

Death Before Discomfort nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

Lesson Learned

So I went up to the quarry yesterday to learn how to use my new camera, housing and strobe. After the surface training we hopped in for a easy hour or so dive, no deeper than 60', with a water temp of 70F'ish. In my pre-dive on the surface, I talked to the open circuit guys I was diving with to ensure they knew how to handle my lifeless body in the event they found me face down on the bottom and also asked them to hit me if they saw any bubbles coming off my rig.

Five minutes into the dive I noticed I was already having to clear my exhale tube of water and it seemed my BOV was breathing a little wet. No biggy, rolled onto my right side, compressed the hoses, exhaled forcefully, viola no more gurgles. Made sure I wasn't having a case of "lazy lips" and continued to photograph Brim. Except, about 8 fin kicks later same song second verse. So, I checked all the hose connectors I could reach to ensure they were tight, no problems. I religiously follow my set-up checklist and check off each item when it is complete so was comfortable that I hadn't forgotten anything. Finished the dive, very good at clearing breathing hoses, and came home.

As I was cleaning the inhale side I noticed a good bit of water in the hose from the lung to the BOV, and a significant amount of water in the inhale lung. That is when I noticed the manual diluent addition valve was mostly unscrewed. Hmm, that needs to be added to my set-up checklist and now is. Probably a rooky mistake, but thought I would pass it on for the group.

Peace out,
    Nate

P.S. BTW the brim says "Hi".
    Attached Images

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Re: Lesson Learned

Hi Nate. Good catch. What type of rebreather are you using?

Death Before Discomfort nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971 has a spectacular aura about nated1971's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

Sorry, forgot it still doesn't show up on my profile. I'm diving a Hammerhead.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Its on my list. In addition to the CCR general safety items I use it to check the items that have been problematic for me or others in the past.

You might want to also add to the list...

1) Check connection to BOV
    2) Check connections to LP inflators
    3) Check connection to O2 solenoid

I have those on the list along with the ADV connection check.

John

JM Hammerhead

Thanks John, that would have been a handy bit of information about 48 hours ago

BTW that picture was taken with the camera set-up.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by nated1971  View Original Post
    Thanks John, that would have been a handy bit of information about 48 hours ago

BTW that picture was taken with the camera set-up.
    I would be glad to email you my HammerMeg check list and log page if you would like it. You might see something else on it that would be useful.

Good Pic....at least you did not get the back end of the Sunfish but knowing these quarry Sunfish he was probably eyeing your nose up for lunch.

John

RBW Member mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik's Avatar

Thanks for reporting.

I am not familiar with the hammerhead. Would a +ve or -ve test have found this problem?

Michael

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by mik  View Original Post
    Thanks for reporting.

I am not familiar with the hammerhead. Would a +ve or -ve test have found this problem?

Michael
    it depends... the HH screw in components seal quite well..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by nated1971  View Original Post
    So I went up to the quarry yesterday to learn how to use my new camera, housing and strobe. After the surface training we hopped in for a easy hour or so dive, no deeper than 60', with a water temp of 70F'ish. In my pre-dive on the surface, I talked to the open circuit guys I was diving with to ensure they knew how to handle my lifeless body in the event they found me face down on the bottom and also asked them to hit me if they saw any bubbles coming off my rig.

Five minutes into the dive I noticed I was already having to clear my exhale tube of water and it seemed my BOV was breathing a little wet. No biggy, rolled onto my right side, compressed the hoses, exhaled forcefully, viola no more gurgles. Made sure I wasn't having a case of "lazy lips" and continued to photograph Brim. Except, about 8 fin kicks later same song second verse. So, I checked all the hose connectors I could reach to ensure they were tight, no problems. I religiously follow my set-up checklist and check off each item when it is complete so was comfortable that I hadn't forgotten anything. Finished the dive, very good at clearing breathing hoses, and came home.

As I was cleaning the inhale side I noticed a good bit of water in the hose from the lung to the BOV, and a significant amount of water in the inhale lung. That is when I noticed the manual diluent addition valve was mostly unscrewed. Hmm, that needs to be added to my set-up checklist and now is. Probably a rooky mistake, but thought I would pass it on for the group.

Peace out,
    Nate

P.S. BTW the brim says "Hi".

item #48 on official HH checklist

Inspect all hand tight fittings.

Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    item #48 on official HH checklist

Inspect all hand tight fittings.

Indeed, similar item on Meg checklist - is the manual add valve on the HH something which is generally hand tightened then? I'm guessing so if it can be "unscrewed"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast