+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: D.A.N. America Warning!

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Re: D.A.N. America Warning!

Quote Originally Posted by ROB DAVIE[COLOR=black
    [/color]] I do not see the same re-assurances in the official statement that Mr. Orr gave to me verbally, and I posted earlier.

What say you, one and all?

Rob
    Hi Rob-

I’ve spent a fair amount of $$$ w/ DAN over the years and fortunately have never needed to press to test. I’m at least initially inclined to see what develops, but Rob: seeing as you’ve already established a dialog w/ Mr. Orr, how hard would it be to find out exactly which dive destinations are affected?

It would seem to me that if we rank and file divers made it known to the resorts/ dive operators that we choose to NOT patronize their area due to no chamber that accepts our DAN insurance, it might speed a resolution. It’s a big ocean and there are plenty of places to dive. When planning an expensive dive trip I should be able to choose a destination where, if the worst happens, I know I won’t get raped by a greedy chamber operator.

That said- it sure seems like a really greasy answer by DAN that says, without actually saying it, that bent divers who need to use one of Mr. Moreno’s chambers are basically SOL.

Just my $0.02

Ken

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather
    ... find out exactly which dive destinations are affected?

It would seem to me that if we rank and file divers made it known to the resorts/ dive operators that we choose to NOT patronize their area due to no chamber that accepts our DAN insurance, it might speed a resolution.
    I like and support this idea !

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Ken, et al,

I will see what further information, if any, I can elicit from DAN headquarters in the morning.

Rob

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

That's not a bad strategy either.

Taking out our ire on the chambers of commerce (by refusing to patronize those locations where one of these chambers is operated) is a good idea.

What got to me about DAN's "response" however, is how much it slithered. It was very carefully crafted so that you really had to read it to figure out that the bottom line is that if you're in one of these locations your DAN coverage is partially void, and nobody can tell you exactly how much you might have to pony up out of pocket.

Further, you'd have to pay the WHOLE bill first, THEN worry about trying to sort it out, AND your fight would be with DAN, not with the chamber operator, since they've been paid and you've flown home!

NOT good.

IMHO pressure has to be brought on BOTH sides of this dispute....

I finished it once, but.. PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Well when I had a dispute with DAN Europe, they called me a liar and threatend to sue. They have deeper pockets than me so I had to shut up.

They also didn't like the publicity I managed to generate.

But I know who was right....... And I've not insured with DAN since.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Folks,

I just got off the horn (or blower, if you will) with Dan Orr, Prresident and CEO of Divers' Alert Network. (11 Jan 06-1035CST)

He told me that DAN has been contacted by the other members of the SSS hyperbaric group. They will be issuing a statement, which will be posted shortly on DAN's website in which they state that they DO, in fact, continue to accept DAN insurance directly. This would leave only three sites which continue to be problematic.

Stand by for further developments!

Rob Davie
    RBW Admin

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I'm curious if they'll accept DAN insurance as full payment, or as downpayment and charge the victim the rest on the spot.

What I don't understand is why the overseas DAN organizations get contracts for rates to be paid and DAN America offering to pay the same rates is denied?

Are American patients, and residents of that region more expensive to treat, or are they just being ripped off when they need medical aid in an emergency?
    Last edited by caveseeker7; 11th January 2006 at 17:36. Reason: dropped Coz as example due to Rob's post

According to my conversation with Mr. Orr, the three problem locations are Nassau, Cancun, and Cabo San Luc. The others all accept DAN insurance directly.

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

Cancun is a huge problem area, as Cancun/Coz have some of the highest DCS incident rates in the world!

I understand that there are two chambers there, but if you're doubled over and foaming from the mouth you're not exactly in the best position to negotiate which one they take you to!

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    I'm curious if they'll accept DAN insurance as full payment, or as downpayment and charge the victim the rest on the spot.

SSS has 5 chambers each in Mexico and Thailand, and one each in Belize, Ecuador, and Bahamas. I'm not sure what "usual and customary" charges are in those places, but Cozumel has two chambers. One of them seems to be fine with DAN insurance reimbursements, the other one (SSS) not.

What I don't understand is why the overseas DAN organizations get contracts for rates to be paid and DAN USA offering to pay the same rates is denied?

Are American patients, and residents of the US more expensive to treat, or are they just being ripped off when they need medical aid in an emergency?
    I think ripped off is the correct answere to that question.
    Last edited by silentscuba; 11th January 2006 at 17:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast