+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D.A.N. America Warning!

Hybrid View

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

D.A.N. America Warning!

This is totally absurd considered I for one paid for insurance and services.
    Andrew.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Dallas, Texas, January 9, 2006: The Recompression chamber network branded SSS (Sub-aquatic Safety Services), in service in a dozen popular dive destinations worldwide (and in most cases the only chamber in a several hundred mile radius), has been forced to notify the public that certain facilities in some destinations effective immediately, and others progressively so, will NO longer accept the Divers Alert Network (DAN) AMERICA insurance as a payment method for hyperbaric chamber and medical services.

It is hard enough to maintain the facilities available 24/7 with optimal technical, administrative and operational readiness, but with the underpayment and non-payment of bills, some over a year old by DAN America; the chambers feel obligated to the diving public to remain open. To that end the chambers can no longer tolerate unpaid services, and since the only insurer in the world who has refused to settle our bills is DAN America, thus some SSS chambers have no other choice but to ask DAN America patients to pay for services when rendered and file the claims themselves with DAN America for any possible reimbursement. Please note that this action applies only to DAN AMERICA. It does not apply to DAN Europe, DAN Southern Africa, DAN Southeast Asia-Pacific or DAN Japan.

Divers are advised to check with their insurance carrier prior to travel to secure verification of coverage.

For inquiries, please contact cdammert@medicalhyperbarics.com

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: D.A.N. America Warning!

Unbelievable!

I am glad now that I am in the process of the switching over to DAN-Europe (to keep my personal and professional at the same source) as soon as my annual is up.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

NOTE: I just spoke to Dan Orr, President and CEO of DAN, personally. (10Jan06-0810CST) The following is a condensed version of our conversation posted with his permission.

(1) The dispute is with the owner/operator of several (not a dozen) chambers concerning the charging of fees that are in excess of normal for services.

(2) DAN has never NOT paid a member's legitimate claim.

(2) DAN will never allow a member to remain "out-of-pocket" for charges due to a legitimate claim.

(3) DAN will issue a press release addressing this entire issue specifically later today. Mr. Orr assured me I will receive it immediately, and I will post it on this Board as soon as I receive it.

Rob Davie
    RBW Admin

DAN ORR
    PRESIDENT & CEO
    DIVERS ALERT NETWORK
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ROB DAVIE; 10th January 2006 at 13:38.

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

Well, this is the reality of medical "insurance" guys.

What's "reasonable and customary?" Have you ever tried to ask an insurance company that?

I have. I ran a company for over a decade and we had group health insurance. One of the things I tried - and failed - to get was a list of procedures and "reasonable and customary" charges for them.

Why? Because its a legitimate point of comparison among companies when you're shopping for insurance.

Every one of them refused to give it to me.

Every one. Every time.

The only way you find out is after there has been a claim.

IMHO, DAN does not have a leg to stand on here, until and unless they publish what their "reasonable and customary" charges are for given procedures.

As for DAN not leaving people "high and dry", I'd love to believe that, but if I'm forced to pay out of pocket (I CAN do this if necessary) and then submit for reimbursement I am now subject to DAN deciding what is "reasonable and customary" after the event - while my money is already gone.

That's not acceptable.

IMHO DAN needs to publish their schedule of reimbursements - what's "reasonable and customary."

BTW, would you buy insurance on your house if the company wouldn't tell you what the amount they'd pay for a total loss is? I wouldn't and I bet you wouldn't either.

How come we tolerate this nonsense in the health "insurance" field? In the US at least, we not only tolerate it, we've granted these companies an exemption from anti-trust law, allowing them to collude to decide what is "reasonable and customary" between all of them and fix their reimbursement levels, thus sticking us with the bills - or being refused service entirely - if the providers don't like what they're getting paid! At the same time its legal for them to refuse to tell us what those reimbursement levels are - even when every company in the nation does it collectively.

This sort of thing is illegal in virtually every industry. The Insurance Industry carved themselves out an exemption from the body of law that makes this sort of bilking felonious for everyone else.
    Last edited by Genesis; 10th January 2006 at 13:52.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

I would ask that we curtail the discussion here until we get to hear what DAN have to say, then we can have at it! :D

Rob

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

In the medical field insurance companies are know for underpaying. The pay scales used by insurance companies don't even keep up with inflation and here in the states are over 10 years old. That in conjunction with the public's position of not wanting to pay for anything is causing the healthcare in the states to go DOWN hill FAST.

Why should DAN be any different? Deco ins. from DAN is very cheap......the service we get should be the same

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I'm guessing Genesis has had many a "holly crusade" in the 6.5 years since his post. These responses to ancient threads can get pretty funny at times. Although there was one recently asking what happened to the Apoc.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

I love it when new users come on, search around on topics, then reply to a thread without checking how old it is.

Critidoc, I suspect that 6 years has indeed allowed his myopia to resolve... only to be replaced by presbyopia given his current age...
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

RBW Member leadking is on a distinguished road leadking is on a distinguished road leadking's Avatar

[quote=Crazyduck]This is totally absurd considered I for one paid for insurance and services.
    Andrew.

This is a dispute over "usual and customary" charges. The chambers have been paid by DAN's insurance company these "usual and customary" charges, but the chambers feel it does not adequately compensate them. DAN will continue to either pay or re-imburse its insured injured divers for "usual and customary" charges.

Lee Selisky

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

I have to say, DAN do seem to be unusually weaselly in attempting to wriggle out of their obligations in a number of cases.

Sadly, this is the tarnished underbelly of the insurance world...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast