+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lake Superior - Gunilda/Judge Hart liveaboard

DeepSeaCowboy deepseacowboy is an unknown quantity at this point deepseacowboy's Avatar

GUNILDA!! Lake Superior - Gunilda/Judge Hart liveaboard

I am co-ordinating a liveaboard on Lake Superior to Dive the Gunilda and the Judge Hart from September 2nd-9th, 2006. Price will be either $1415 or $1260 (Canadian) depending on final numbers. I have a few spots available. There is also another charter the following week (Sept. 9th-16th) that I may be able to get a few spots on.

If you don't know these two wrecks they are among the best in the Great Lakes and are next to impossible to get to.

We have chartered the Dawnlight, a 72' steel tug as our accommodations for the week. We did this trip last year and it was very, very comfortable. Pictures of the vessel can be found here:

http://www.tobermory.com/more.htm

The wrecks:

Gunilda:
    The 195' steel-hulled luxury steam yacht owned by oil baron William Harkness, ran aground on MacGarvey Shoal in the summer of 1911 after the owner refused to pay for a local pilot. The owner chartered a tug to pull the Gunilda off the shoal, but did not agree with the Captain's suggestion that another tug be used to prevent the vessel sinking. Sure enough, when she was pulled off the shoal, the Gunilda lay over and sunk to the bottom in 250' of water.

Due to the temperature, the Gunilda is remarkably intact, with gold leaf still adorning the bowsprit. The ship's bell is still in position, as well as a lifeboat and numerous other artifacts (binnacle, steam whistle, etc.). I can honestly say that, after 17 years of diving - including virgin wrecks - this is the most impressive shipwreck I've seen. Google the ship - you'll hear that opinion echoed.

Judge Hart:

The Judge Hart is a 250-foot freighter in just over 200' of water. It sank in 1942 in an ice storm. Not many divers have touched this wreck, and it shows. Most of the pilothouse equipment is still there, including the ship's bell, the binaccle, the wheel, the radio-telegraph and, as we found last year, a pair of binoculars sitting on the floor. The galley still holds a massive copper kettle as well as many other artifacts. There are many areas yet to be explored. A good trip report on this wreck is found on GUE's website:

http://www.gue.com/research/hart/hartfeature.shtml

Here are some photos I took on lasst year's trip:

http://www.tobermory.com/gallery3.htm

Obviously, based on the depth and remoteness, divers must be qualified and extremely experienced in deep, cold water mix diving. There will be 8 or 9 people on this trip, and at least half will be diving CCR. Please PM me if you are interested.
    Last edited by deepseacowboy; 14th June 2006 at 18:00. Reason: Title Change

Supporting Member Westwinds will become famous soon enough Westwinds will become famous soon enough Westwinds will become famous soon enough Westwinds's Avatar

Re: Lake Superior - Gunilda/Judge Hart liveaboard

The Dawnlight is a good Great Lakes Live Aboard. I have chartered it to the wreck of the Northwind in the North Channel for the last two years and will be returning this year in August.

Your trip is tempting. Hum...

Westwinds.

DeepSeaCowboy deepseacowboy is an unknown quantity at this point deepseacowboy's Avatar

GUNILDA!! Lake Superior - Gunilda/Judge Hart liveaboard

bump

two spots left - $1350 each

pm me if interested.

Here are some pictures I took on the last trip:

Last edited by deepseacowboy; 14th June 2006 at 18:09. Reason: Title Change

+ Reply to Thread