+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Empire Javelin and a new wreck Ding Dong

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

The Empire Javelin and a new wreck Ding Dong

Two days with Andy Aberys gas teem

I always thought I was pretty hard core getting up at 4am to go diving but I had to admit George (“Smellydiver” on YD) made me look like a light weight having got of a flight back from South Africa, driven 150miles home to Devon, then packed his kit and driveing back another couple hundred miles to my house just to go diving the next day.

Mind you we are talking about the bloke who got on the London underground wearing a twinset and two stages + his dive rig before catching a train down to Weymouth to dive the Solsett. Still I did feel a little bit hard core as the alarm rudely awakened me. George and I stumbled out to the car and set off for Littlehampton on what promised to be a lovely day.

This was my second trip out with Andy’s gas divers. I try and get in at least one dive trip with Pete (Garage fill man) every year and this was to be it. Little did I know I had taken Pete’s spot because he was sitting an exam. On my last attempt to dive with Pete he had to leave just as I arrived in Weymouth because his partner had trapped a nerve in her back.

So no Pete on the boat which was a shame, (perhaps he’s trying to tell me something) but Paul Oliver Captain Deco and I had dived with Andy, Gibo and the unsurpressable “Dangerous Tim” last year and we had a great time so I was looking forward to the gig.

We rigged up and then settled in for the four hour sail out to the Empire Javelin. My camp bed and sleeping bag arrangement met with some serious slagging but I was soon asleep so I didn’t care.

Arriving at the Javelin the water looked pretty black so we were hoping for some good viz, but sadly dropping down the shot we found it soon deteriorated into a bitty 3-4m with only a smidge of the wonderful sunny day above reaching us down at 70m.

I laid the line and there seemed to be a bit of current flowing making this a bit hard so I decided to switch my Hybrid rEvo CCR into full electronic mode so I could relax.

The wreck in poor viz was disorientating and I had no idea where we were so I settled into rummage mode. In a rather tight space I spotted a BIG lobster. I found a way in and squeezed after it dreaming of how happy Ling would be when she saw it in my goody bag. However, wedged in place with my belly on a steel plate and my CCR scraping the ceiling above, the dammed thing came straight at me which was a bit of a shock. It was obviously a hard b#astard. I sort of panicked in a girly way, franticly wiggling backwards in case it bit me. Suddenly it launched into full reverse and was quickly beyond my reach.

Some what disheartened at loosing a substantial dinner/ wife appeaser and with lightly soiled underpants pants I wiggled out of the wreckage to go find George.

Seeing as he was staying on my line that wasn’t hard and we set off inside the wreck or under a large overhang (I couldn’t be too sure) Very pretty it was too with anenomies and soft correls everywhere on the ceiling but all too soon it narrowed down and we had to turn back.

Setting off on a new rout we reached what I know realise was the bridge area. Hear a far more obliging and considerably smaller lobby made its way into my bag. George found a china bowl which on the surface turned out to be the most wonderful smooth china in pure white and nicely marked with the makers details on the base.

The tide had picked up and we had been warned that it could be fast and nasty so we headed back to the shot. We had spent 40mins on the bottom but it wasn’t the best of dives, but apart from Georges primary torch failing and the small skid mark on my cacks it had been uneventful. Deco was deco and the only thing of note was my IPod player worked for the first time.

Run time 145mins and George and I were last up so no one had felt it worth pushing the run time on this wreck today. I am told the Javelin is spectacular in good viz but it’s a bit of sea not renowned for good viz so you have to be lucky.

Day 2 Unknown Mark

Day two was going to be Javelin again but we all agreed it was not a good time to be in that wreck so plan B was a new mark. I was very excited because that’s my No1 passion. Not for the brass but just to be one of the first on a new wreck.

Again it was along punch out which was lucky as it gave me ample time to find out what that Bart Simpson wanabee Dangerous had done to my dive kit. Aparently hed removed half the contents of the dustbin and adorned my unit and rig with it. I listened to him protesting that it wasn’t him and he didn’t do it (imagine a Bart Simpsonesqu voice) I couldn’t help wonder if he’d done something really amusing like super glued my 02 solenoid open :D

As we reached the wreck site Andy and I were very excited and aall eyes on the sonar waiting for the wonderful yellow mass to appear on screen. Paul (the skipper) pulled ever enlarged circles around the mark and criss crossed its centre but try as he might he could not locate the wreck.

It was a bit depressing to be honest but we had a fall back plan on another mark a short distance away. This one showed up on screen big time and it was almost slack water so the race to kit up started.

Tim had his final glorious moment of school boy humour when I put my gloves on to find an old apple core inside.

You have to love him.

Mainly coz he’s bigger than me and I couldn’t beet the crap out of him. :D

George and I were in third and the second we started to descend I knew we were in for a treat. 8-10m viz greeted us as we descended to the sea bed again at about 70m.

And there she was on her side.

Untouched.

George’s torch failed again so I gave him my Barbolite and we set of to explore. I immediately found a “dusty bin” compass binical that was way to big for me to lift whole. It was broken at the top and I could see all the internals were perfectly intact. I reached in to try and extricate them but the hole in the top was too small so I left them in place for someone with a bigger lifting bag.

Then the shout went up from George

The Bell

I couldn’t believe it I thought George had found it and I went over to him ASAP but as I drifted up on to the bridge I found Andy extricating the bell and sorting out the lift bags. It was a fantastic sight. The first time I had actually seen the bell being bagged up.

Whilst up no the bridge I recovered a couple of sighting glass faces (mini portholes) which were much more my kind of spidge than the binical. I also had a look at the makers plate which was going to need some cutting tools to liberate it from the ship so I left it alone.

Viz around the bagging up operation was getting a bit crap so George and I set off for the stern to have a look at the props. However by now the tide was picking up and I didn’t want to get trapped on the wrong side of the wreck so I kept it to a quick glance.

Pushed back to the bridge by the tide I sought refuge by wiggling through a hole and going down into the engine room. It was all pretty intact down there and there was much more exploring to be done, but I was aware of our run time so decided to exit out of a convenient hatch. The super slim rEvo slipped through the hole no problem but it defeated George in his KISS so he had to head back the way we came in.

I waited for him to exit and took the piss about him being too fat to get out (he’s a lot slimmer than me)

The tide was really punching now so again with 40mins on the clock we set off to the deco station. By the time we reached the station detach point it was running so hard I couldn’t unclip it so I had to cut the line to set us free.

I spent deco listening to Radio 1 pod casts and watching video clips from comedy central which made a novel change. The IPod was fantastic and 110mins deco shot past.

Back on board and it was smiles all round

Paul the Skipper and Andy with his Bell

Don’t bother asking what the wreck was; as it will remain a secret until Andys teem have had a chance to fully explore her. For obvious reasons I have left out a detailed description of what We found but suffice as to say it was a great dive and one of those that keep my passion for diving marks well and truly alive.

Many thanks to Andy and his teem for having George and I on board for the two days. We had a great time.

Right up until we got the bill :D

Exploration isn’t cheep but for a dive like that, Ill gladly pay.

Looks like Andy couldn’t wait to get going with the Brasso :D

ATB

Mark

RBW Member OrganDonor is on a distinguished road OrganDonor is on a distinguished road OrganDonor's Avatar
    rEvo II hybrid

Re: The Empire Javelin and a new wreck Ding Dong

And a very nice ding dong it is! Congrats, that's a fantastic feeling and one most don't get to share.

RBW Member dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke's Avatar
    APD Vision

Nice report Mark
    only dived the javelin once,
    was told by skipper at the time it will be dark the tide will be running
    like a train by the end of the dive viz will be s**t
    we dived it any way, but he was right on all points
    good to here that day 2 was better
    safe diving
    dave

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Great write up Mark. Thanks for taking the time to share.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Great write up Mark. Sounds like a great couple of dives. Gotta love a bell!

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

Nice... Thanks for sharing...

I thought about you all last week as I was diving and kept breaking gear all week... I thought...hmmm I am going to give that mark guy on RBW a run for his money this week...lol

don't use an HID light for bungee jumping the cord doesn't hold and the light head does pop right off when you hit the water an the head is jamed up on the boat... and that was the start of the dive week and it continued from there....lol oh and I just got my light back from repair from Salvo and well...didn't even get a chance to turn it on before I broke it .. just glad the head landed on the boat.

nice bell... good report..
    Last edited by Canadian Tekdive; 6th July 2009 at 05:19.

Decodiver

The Empire Javelin was the first ship sunk on D-Day I believe.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Hi Mark,

A wonderful report - thanks for that. Exploring and identifying unknowns is what I dream of doing in diving and am working up to, so you've given me new impetus on a grim Monday morning

Had my first dive on an unknown a couple of weeks ago and found real spidge. Curses that I've never invested in lifting bags and wreck hammers - an ommission now rectified

To find a bell - a dream.

Cheers,

RBW Member robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante's Avatar
    HammerMeg, Sidemount Prism,

HammerMk15, LARV, Kiss

great stuff, thanks for posting.

I've been planning on getting an ipod case. Should I? Sounds like you've had some problems prior to this trip.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by robinfante  View Original Post
    great stuff, thanks for posting.

I've been planning on getting an ipod case. Should I? Sounds like you've had some problems prior to this trip.

It wont switch on my 80GB or my Touch.

I have to open the case before i kit up and manualy switch the Ipod on. Then I switch the Ipod housing on get it to regester and then put it on pause.

I jump in and do the 40-60 on the bottom and when i get back to 28m and the deco station the Ipod works fine.

It is soooooooo cool watching movies on the Ipod.

Just a shame I cant get the large screen on the Touch to work

ATB

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast