+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini-cylinder rebreather (like in movies)

Mini-cylinder rebreather (like in movies)

I am desperate to find something simmilar to those rebreathers in movies, such as Star Wars, where the carachter uses a rebreather with side-mounted 2 small cylinders (like those they use to power the airguns).

I do realise that it will not give me more than 5-10 breath-ins, but I am not asking for more really.

Could anyone clarify please if those exist at all?

Thank you.

LAR Addict RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag's Avatar
    LAR VI FGT LAR VI Clone

OMG MK4 CDV and MK4 CSC

Re: Mini-cylinder rebreather (like in movies)

Search for EOBA, this is the smallest functional design I know of.

Gruß, Magnus

Yes! Thank you, that is very close to what I need, but EOBA is not produced anymore, are there any actual "live" alternatives? Thank you :)

A spare air may be just what your after but are you sure you only need 15 breaths? A cheap pony setup is roughly the same price and gives you a whole 3 litre cylinder to play with and a nice reserve in case you need more gas.

Spare airs can be found at Submersible Systems - Spare Air SCUBA Diver secondary air supply

Hmm, spare air seems to be very promising option, its a bit too bulky, since I do need my hands to be empty, but should work too.

If there would be any smaller options, I would definitely go for them. My main issue is that I am diving without any equipment, but several times already got to the point where I barely manage to surface without passing out, for these cases I would want to have something small which doesnt restrict me from normal swimming.

And in general, 15 breaths will lengthen the underwater time from 2-3 minutes to 5-6, which is exactly what I need. (although in reality those small air canisters should hold a lot more than 15)

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1  View Original Post
    Hmm, spare air seems to be very promising option, its a bit too bulky, since I do need my hands to be empty, but should work too.

If there would be any smaller options, I would definitely go for them. My main issue is that I am diving without any equipment, but several times already got to the point where I barely manage to surface without passing out, for these cases I would want to have something small which doesnt restrict me from normal swimming.

And in general, 15 breaths will lengthen the underwater time from 2-3 minutes to 5-6, which is exactly what I need. (although in reality those small air canisters should hold a lot more than 15)
    It sounds like you need to ask your questions on a freedivers forum not a rebreather forum. Its takes us longer than 5-6 minute to put our equipment on so when we do we like to dive for a couple of hours.

John

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1  View Original Post

I'm no expert at this and you do as you want, but think carefully about the additional dangers you introduce with this hybrid-freediving.

Like the serious risk of embolism upon ascent.

Since you would need to exhale to avoid embolisms there is now the possibility that your extended semi breathold diving combined with an exhale ascent puts you at risk of shallow water black out...

Also I guess it would be hard to accurately judge how much gas is left in such as small bottle, guessing you will not have a pressure gauge in view?

If you absolutely need to add gizmos to your freediving how about using a DPV? I only tried it a few times, sure lots of noise and heavy on land, but it certainly adds alot to you range (be careful about going deep).

A SMB with integrated cylinder directly attached to you could also work as an compact express bailout for those times you feel you pushed it too far (any weightbelt to ditch?).

Anyway I guess you already considered buddy diving covering each other on ascent.

Just my thoughts

/Anders

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

A blacking out freediver will not have the ability to bailout on to SCUBA. You would have to have decided you weren't going to make it long before you started to feel the effects. Your best option is a buddy who can reach you and bring you straight up and revive you, or a support team that can do the same.

Switching to SCUBA is the last option on a list of bailouts for deep diving freedivers. You are not really bound by any ascent or ceiling limitations when your breath holding so you may as well get a system in place that can bring you to the surface as quickly as possible. Once you start breathing underwater that option dissappears.

Be safe

Seb

Thanks for the advice, obviously I do swim at least in pairs, the only trouble is that blacking out is still not fun.

I am thinking more about the example where you are diving deep, then realising that the air you have got can be JUST on the limit of it, happens to me quite frequently, at the time I realise it I do have more than enough to get the scuba out and use it, or signal my friend that I might not make it, so safety is under control.

Knowing the exact number of breath-ins - 20% will usually be safe, moreover, you still have remining air in lungs to make it out if you notice that you dont have anymore air left in the container.

One other reason for me to use it would be to just lengthen the duration of the time I can stay underwater. I have done some normal scuba diving, but I usually find myself very bulky when you have a full-scale cylinder behind you. I am not planning to go DEEPER, I just want to stay on the same depth for a little longer than usual.

Thanks for the advice again :) I will look into the freedivers forums too. Might end up getting something together myself, since I have worked with pneuvmatics before.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

The blackout (samba) zone for a freediver is normally the last ten meters.

I've samba'd and I remember reaching out for the top of the rope so I must have been only a meter or so deep then -BANG- my safety man had me.
    The computer was logging a 75m/min ascent rate at this point.

I knew I'd over-cooked it before I hit the 15 meter mark on the way up but it was one of my first 30 meter dives and I had hesitated a bit too long at depth.

I really don't think having anything, eg necklaced, would have helped. There just isn't time.

The idea of extending a freedive with an extra breath worries me. My depth limit is set by when I can no longer equalise my mask and it starts to embed itself into my face. Putting new air into the equation means I will have to exhale on the ascent or I'm heading into lung over expansion territory but that's my surface buoyancy. I'm weighted to be positive above 10 meters and negative below but that's with my lungs 'surface full'. If I'm exhaling I might not keep going up through the samba zone - game over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast