+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Jet Fins? and a deal for you

Craig Miller sciencediver1 will become famous soon enough sciencediver1 will become famous soon enough sciencediver1 will become famous soon enough sciencediver1's Avatar
    Megalodon COPIS

KISS Classic

Why Jet Fins? and a deal for you

Hi List!

I know every one seems to be tossing all the new fin designs in the crapper and moving back to Jet Fins. While I haven't yet been convinced to toss aside my Scubapro splits which I like very much, I feel a little left out. Not wanting to look like a newbie I decided maybe I should follow the lead sheep and go back to the fins I had as a new diver in 1984. So I dug down to the bottom of the old gear boxes in the dive storeroom chased away a few huge spiders, and low and behold here were my old Scubapro Jet Fins from the days of wet suits and single Al 80's long past. Other then the UV destruction of the heel straps where cracks were formed, they looked like new. Now as every techie knows, if you want to look the look, these old fins have to have spring heel straps on them. So I went off on the e-hunt for some. Wow....these are very spendy...depending where you get them from. Extreme exposure or where ever, you need to plan on spending about $90-100 US dollars!!!!!! Cracky mates!!!!! for 2 stupid heel springs. Well I want to have the look you know...I mean I have the DUI CF200 drysuit in all black, a DUI weight and trim harness, a Classic KISS CCR (with really cool clear scrubber tube and my name in fancy red graphics on it) with Oxycheq everything...wing, hose covers and all, several cool big sets of OC doubles (for use with my OC friends) with the HOG harnesses, nifty Salvo 18 watt canisters with HID light heads, several of every size and description of sling bottle, 2 Light and Motion video systems and a backplate mounted argon system... (are ya with me?) my own full on fill station at home in the garage to include a big helium and O2 bank with compressor rigged for PPB and on the fly blending via a stick. I can home brew any gas I want and cross check it with state of the art gas analyzers. So... I just can't be seen in the wrong fins. I invested several hours Googling and I kept on the hunt. For the benefit of those on our list I want to report I have found a deal. If you are regressing in fin technology as I seem to be, I invite you to go to http://www.spring-straps.com or email scott@spring-straps.com and look at his. They sell for $37.00 a set. These look to be perfect copies of the $100.00 sets at Extremem Exposure and I found them very well made. He was responsive to my sizing query by email and I bought the large size. It did take about 2 weeks to get them but he explained he had just moved and was not quite set up yet. He is now. You can buy them online using your Paypal account. My total was $42.00 with shipping. They are stainless springs with a turned aluminum cylinder connection on each end and a stainless clip to hold them on. A loop of cave line is inside the spring to prevent over stretch, and a piece of plastic tubing overlays the spring to ease in removal from the heel. It took me fifteen minutes to put them on. Using a Dremel mototool to cut off the old strap hardware and a large channel lock pliers to squeeze the provided stainless clips into the old holes. I give them a 10 on quality at half the Extreme Exposure price. I guess he's a firefighter who makes these in his spare time. All the firefighters I know are really crafty guys. I don't know Scott nor have I ever met him. I pass this on to the list as a good deal on these rather overpriced pieces for a "Proper Tech Looking kit" That's my word on fashion boys and girls. Look Sharp-Dive even sharper :0)

Just curious....if you've gone back to the Jets or clones of same please tell us why? I'm doing it because everyone else I respect is, I have no other reason as to why I would drag out the stiff old buggers I learned with and put them back in use. Please tell me why I'm doing this? Craig

Craig Miller
    Lead Technical Divemaster
    Porthole Dive Charters
    Puget Sound Washington
    "Rebreatheres are not for every dive in my humble and often not so humble opinion" ya ya ya , whatever!
    Last edited by sciencediver1; 6th January 2006 at 05:14.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Re: Why Jet Fins? and a deal for you

lead DM Huh!!!!
    jet fins rock my friend
    just like the CCR you are doing it to look cool right!!!
    are jet fins the right tool in the box? hehehe

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Nice post Craig!!!!! You should get a blob from Stuart for that one.

Hope you are feeling better.

A few years back, I foung my old Jet Fins from the early 70's and the straps were rotten and I thought they were old technology, so I threw them away!!! Boy was I mistaken

Craig Miller sciencediver1 will become famous soon enough sciencediver1 will become famous soon enough sciencediver1 will become famous soon enough sciencediver1's Avatar
    Megalodon COPIS

KISS Classic

I think they were and are old technology...I'm all rigged up now though. I've seen several sets for sale on Craigslist in the $20.00 range. Ya I like to look cool. You never know, you might attract the eye of a hot little blenny down there. Really, I think it's a fad this time. Something out of cavesville as usual I presume. But if they indeed "rock" well, you know I wanna rock too.:p
    Last edited by sciencediver1; 6th January 2006 at 05:50.

Megalodon COPIS

KISS Classic

OH and who's Stewart?

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar

Great post dude!!! Have some green

I have made my own, and material comes out to approx. $25.00 For $37.00 it is a steel. Jet fins Rock. "If it aint broke, don't fix it!"

PRISM DIVER & LUVIN IT! dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000 is just really nice dive2dive2000's Avatar

Talking Re: Why Jet Fins? and a deal for you

Quote Originally Posted by sciencediver1
    OH and who's Stewart?

The Creator and owner of Rebreather world, and a really nice guy;)

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Nice post.
    I am not going to Jets because they are heavier than my std fins. (mares Plannas 19ys)
    I am already feet/leg heavy so I dont want any more weight down the end.
    But they are handy.

Smelling Dairy Air Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear has a spectacular aura about Bear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang
    Nice post.
    I am already feet/leg heavy so I dont want any more weight down the end.
    That's because you're so damn short!! :)

Cheers

Megalodon COPIS

KISS Classic

OK so far we have two replies saying "jet fins rock" But analitically speaking, why do they rock? I dive the scubapro splits in black monoprene which were the latest greatest in the industry. They tout a patented propeller technology, are made from a brand new almost bullet proof material and have great flatened heel straps which doesn't cut into the heel like the round springs do, and have supurb quick releases making doffing easy in rough seas before boarding the boat. They come in several different stiffnesses by color. Rodale's Scuba Lab testing gave them Testors Choice awards for comfort and thrust. A bit on the spendy side but worth it. Yet we put them aside for a tired old design lacking all of the aformentioned traits. I tried Jets in the caves of Florida recently and I was amazed at how much stiffer they were, lacked the propulsion I was used to and greatly increased my fatigue. The springs seemed to bare into my achilles tendons causing hot spots and by dive 4, I had to switch to different fins as I found myself gritting my teeth with every modified frog I kicked. Say the least I didn't feel the love. Yet more and more I see divers showing up on the charter boat I work on as a Tech. DM and there they are in hords...ratty old jet fins by the pile. Is it because Gentile and Chatterton use them? Ritchie Kohler? East Coast Wreck diver influence? Some kind of control or back finning issue? Do the Do'in it Right (Amway divers) crowd think they are the only fin to use....hense you are a "stroke" if you don't. If you like these fins....tell me why. Peer pressure is a reason so if thats it....that's cool. If you get more speed and power in a 9 knot current tell me. Frankly I think it's just a big fad perpetuated by the Nazi DIR types and a bunch of other followers trying to look like them just in case they have something. But here I go and I'll give it another try, one stroke VS the DIR retards. Hut Hut Hut DIR TARD HUT HUT.
    Last edited by sciencediver1; 6th January 2006 at 07:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast