+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I get a Rebreather

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Yes (in my opinion)

If your only doing shallow reef dives I doubt if the pros outweigh the cons.

You mean you don't like the lightweight Oxygen rebreathers with the "standup safety mode."

HEHEHEHE Sorry dude could not resist!

Later, Andrew

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Tammy,

don't worry about Dr.Mike, going back to my anology he's the equivalent of AA.
    Literally, judging by his c-card: Accreditation Anonymus

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    do you need a rebreather? They ... more expensive ... than Open circuit.
    Not so much if you don't buy the wrong one first and then another.
    Mike, if her husband ever gets his hands on you ...

But seriously, Tammy, Mike's points are valid. Give us a better idea of the diving you two do, and where you want to go with it. Then we might be able to give you more precise answers. I think it's great that you consider rebreathers.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Thumbs up Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by tammy
    Hello all
    Quote Originally Posted by tammy

My husband is also mad keen on diving - he is an instructor with a lot more dives than me and wants us to get rebreathers.

He says that they are safe and I will be fine. But all my other scuba friends tell me that I need much more experience, and that they can easily kill you

I guess I am a bit nervous - should I have hundreds of dives under my belt before moving onto Rebreathers?

Thanks

Tammy

Tammy,

First, you have come to the right place to find out about re-breathers, and so, welcome!

Second, do not be apprehensive about asking questions. Any question asked with a sincere desire for knowledge is the right question.

Third, students have been taught to dive from the beginning on re-breathers. That is not, perhaps, the optimum method, but it points up the realization that it is not difficult.

Fourth, There are some things that are a bit more complex than OC, but not so much that a person with enough mental snap to learn diving in the first place cannot understand them.

Fifth, your gas supply lasts much longer than any cylinder can. Your gas is much warmer than OC, and it is moist. Fish are MUCH friendlier on an RB than on OC. These are a few of the reasons that everyone here likes RB's.

You and your husband should come join us!!!

Rob Davie

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyduck
    "standup safety mode."
    That was one of the funniest things Ive read for a while.

Can you imagine the instructor teaching that drill

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar
    If you are doing shallow, non deco stuff then there is a benefit to your husband if you stay as you are! He'll always have lots of bailout if it goes wrong... ;)

As someone new to my rebreather, I love it. It gives me much greater range and duration and if things go wrong, they go wrong slowly. Unlike OC ("normal" diving) where you can be breathing happily and then everything stops working instantly.

There is more setting up to do. As a bloke, this is half the fun! However, it is a sophisticated tool which demands knowledge and care if it is going to work well for you. The plus side is that whatever your diving from now on, it will always keep up with you.

It's like buying a high performance car. They are nice to have, but if you don't know how to use them properly you can find yourself upside down in a hedge... When you do know how to use them and look after them, that's when you get the most from them...

Does that make sense?

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Post Should I.....

Tammy,

First, welcome to the best re-breather "nest" in the world, for RB creatures of all stripes!

Second, Mike's response is the "old school" response. In Japan, at one point they were certifying new divers on the Fieno re-breather system. Due to the economic situation of the company, that is not in process now, but it had nothing to do with the training. That worked well, by all report.

There is nothing mystical about re-breathers. They are diving tools. The real decision process is deciding if the system is what you need to take you where you want to go in diving!

Rob Davie

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Hi

I went over to CCR because I needed to for the type of diving I normally do. I have no great love for CCR. It works and it has advantages for deep mixed gas diving. The advantages for shallow diving are much less BUT there are a few.

It allows maximum bottom time for minimal deco but using perfect Niotrox mix

It allows the economical use of Trimix on 30-40m dives (a big Plus for me)

Its much warmer in the winter on CCR than on OC

Gas consumption is NOT and issue

Multi dive days are less hassle in terms of fills

IF you’re into pickys they are very fish friendly.

THE DOWN SIDES

It introduces a new safety mind set totally different to OC

It introduces a way of killing you which is subtle and difficult to manage when it hits but its arguably avoidable.

MOST units are heavy

ALL units are expensive

Most units increase your drag in the water

Most diving will involve carrying a bail out tank

Pre dive preparation is increased and slightly more precise and complex

Post dive strip down is again more precise and complex

Most units are a major hassle to travel with and so heavy that its imposable to stay within baggage limits. My last trip to Egypt I spent £90 for 45kg excess baggage. My next trip to Cyprus could be as much as £200.00 as its £10.75 per Kg excess.

As far as experience and diving the units is concerned I would say if your totally comfortable being under water and your self confident enough under water to carry out tasks and make educated decisions then your ready for CCR. If that’s 50 dives or 1000 dives is totally up to the individual.

With OC if it breathes it works with CCR there are a couple of more things to consider but its not rocket science.

I would say if 90% of my diving was typically 30M minimum depth with 35 -40 with deco being the norm that would represent the point where a CCR would be handy but not essential. As it is 80% of my diving is 40m+ with a shed load of deco so CCR makes a LOT of sense and may even pay for its self (4k in my case including training) inside two years. On average I am saving between £20-£50 per dive in gas cost and associated logistics of obtaining gas.

The good news is that there are a lot of cheep second hand inspiration units on or about to come on the market. Expect to pick up a CCR with 100 hours or less on it for 2.5 to 3K. I paid £3100 for my one with 20 hours on it new July 2004.

ATB

Mark Chase

Decodiver
    Hi Tammy and welcome to Rebreatherworld,

I guess one of the main reasons your husband wants to get you involved is to secure your agreement to a considerable financial layout.

If you are happy with the way you dive at present, then why change?

Let your husband go down the CCR route and sit back, watch his way of dealing with it and then make an informed decision.

It is highly unlikely to get a discount where 2 CCRs are bought at the same time, so if you were to wait awhile before crossing to the darkside, you would not pay anymore for your unit.

Best of luck,

Dave Cooper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2