+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How to make own trimix cheaply?

RBW Member cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3's Avatar
    Inspiration, Micro rEvo

Re: How to make own trimix cheaply?

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    Ed,
    You boost 32% ? Then I guess you make sure that the 32% from the shop has been made with clean air/compressor... and that you don't have cross-contamination when subsequently boosting your O2. Unless you have a dedicated "dirty" booster?
    Or am I being too paranoid about that?
    Best
    Philippe
    My drive gas and 32% are both from a "Clean Air" dive compressor. But I'm looking to add an oil-less compressor for drive gas in the near future. Mixing with 32% gives me some flexibility of different trimixes that can be blended directly in my 3L tanks, and still have very accurate mixes that don't require a lot of time or banking a specific mix. In reality I only dive about 2 mixes, so it probably doesn't really matter.:)

Ed

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie  View Original Post
    It should be clean, unless it was made through a membrane.
    I use the same booster for O2 and mix

Me too

I fill mix first then purge the rig with 02 and fill 02 imediatly after.

ATB

Mark

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    On the subject of whether or not to ‘filter’ the output of your shop air compressor when driving your small booster: Whether or not you choose an oil free compressor, be sure to have a good water trap towards the end of the drive air supply line and close to the input to the booster. Water droplets at pressure can be quite abrasive to seals and passages. Small shop compressors that reach a steady-state of output while running your booster get HOT. While they are designed to work that way, that hot air they make will very often produce large amounts of condensate as it cools on the way to the booster. Regardless of how your particular model of booster does or does not isolate drive air from boosted gas, it just makes good sense to be kind to the drive section.

Ken

Ken,
    I agree 100%.. I went one step further.. I have 2 water seperators on my drive gas line, 1 is next to the compressor and gets alot of the moisture, the 2nd is near the booster inlet afetr a coil of copper tubing. I tried it without the 1st seperator near the booster, but on hot humid summer days, the one near the booster seemd to be near its capacity, with one just near the compressor not nearly enough water vapor was being removed..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    Ken,
    I agree 100%.. I went one step further.. I have 2 water seperators on my drive gas line, 1 is next to the compressor and gets alot of the moisture, the 2nd is near the booster inlet afetr a coil of copper tubing. I tried it without the 1st seperator near the booster, but on hot humid summer days, the one near the booster seemd to be near its capacity, with one just near the compressor not nearly enough water vapor was being removed..
    Believe it or not, right now I actually have 4 traps in my line. My (oil free) shop compressor is, well, in my shop in the basement and has a trap at it’s output (#1). I boost in the driveway because being a pessimist about HP O2, I’d rather not burn down the house or garage if Mr. Murphy comes to call. One 50 foot line runs from the shop up to the garage. There’s a trap at the end of that line (#2) and then I attach a second 25 foot line to run air out to the driveway. There’s a filter-regulator (#3) & shutoff valve at the end of that 2nd line so I can fine tune the drive pressure w/o running inside & downstairs to the shop. A third 25’ line runs to the booster, which has a small trap permanently attached at the input (#4). Overkill, ya think? :D After a LOT of boosting on a warm day, I’ve seen some water as far as the second trap, but never in the third or fourth. I'm well aware of the losses in such long supply hoses, but I boost slowly to keep temperatures down and so far all seems to work fine.

For over 2 years I’ve had 40 ft. of ½” copper pipe waiting to be installed across the ceiling of my garage to replace the second line. I figure the large diameter would slow down the flow & provide a lot of area for heat transfer to REALLY wring out every last bit of moisture. Just one of those projects that keeps taking a back seat to brewing dive gear and getting wet.

Ken

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Nice to see the precautions be taken.

Mr. Murphy showed up here are few years back.
    Blew the third chamber out of a compressor mixing nitrox and when it did the flash over lit a overflow pan near the floor. The explosion was strong enough to move the walls a quarter of an inch. The room was trashed from the pressure wave and the floor was in terrible shape from were the third chamber released down. Luckily it released the chamber down and not out.
    Luckily, the owner and his daughter were in another room. They still had to be taken to the hospital and were shaken for weeks.

At the time I was a tank monkey at another facility.
    It was a wake up call.
    Take care all...

Andrew

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

If there is a market for this please let me know.
    My brother specializing in air handling systems for manufacturing industry.
    I can ask some specific if there is a need.

Andrew

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

What water seperator is everyone using? You all got me thinking about adding another right after the compressor.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by tony13  View Original Post
    What water seperator is everyone using? You all got me thinking about adding another right after the compressor.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just the simple glass/ plastic bowl type device w/ a drain at the bottom, sold in the air compressor section at every big box home improvement center under the sun. You could doubtless get a cheap one from Harbor Freight on line. When combined w/ a regulator, the call them a filter regulator. If your shop compressor cranks out above 150 psi, you might not want to read the fine print on the cheap ones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3