+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer mouse elbow injury and DCS?

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Computer mouse elbow injury and DCS?

Hi members

As I spend about 5-10 hours a day with a computer (And alot more some years ago), I have developed a small mouse "wear" injury in my right elbow.
    If I do many days of computer work or heavy work with my arm I can some times feel a little pain in this elbow, but nothing major.

After a deep dive I always monitor my self for DSC symptoms, and my elbow always makes me think as I become a little paranoid:
    • Is this more pain than usual?
    • Did i use the computer mouse to much the last couple of days?
    • Am i bend because i held on to the line during surge?
    • And so on.....
    I never suffered from a DSC hit (as far as i know), unless i judged my elbow pain wrong.

My questions are:
    • Any tips how to tell the two things apart?
    • If I go in the water and my arm is really sore from computer work, is my arm prone to get bend?
    Looking forward reading your opinions...

ATB

Christian

DeepBlueInnovation Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath is a splendid one to behold Ben Heath's Avatar
    Ouroboros

Prism

Re: Computer mouse elbow injury and DCS?

I haven't had a bend, so I can't compare the pain, however being a code-monkey I have had problems with my arm. For me it was more the forearm where the muscles join the bone near the elbow and it was more of an "over-tight" feeling. From other's descriptions I imagine bend pain to be more of an "injured" pain.

I have found that using an ergonomic mouse made a big difference for me and the injury is slowly getting less. PM me if you want details of the mouse/keyboard.

Cheers,

Ben.

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Use a trackball. Works a magic. A lot more precise, comfortable and avoids micro injuries which can be a nightmare to heal and very easy to strain. I spend an average of 15 hours a day with it.

Logitech Trackman, simply the best.

Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I'll second the trackball. It has made a real difference in my arm/elbow pains.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Team Train Wreck zbskii is on a distinguished road zbskii is on a distinguished road zbskii's Avatar
    Revo micro ft

Kiss Sport

I've had trouble with RSI in my elbow for several years. Try these:

- Get a small keyboard, with no number pad. Then you'll have less distance to travel from the keyboard to the mouse. I use a kinesis advantage. It's the only keyboard proven to reduce RSI.

- Avoid using the mouse at all. Turn on every keyboard shortcut you can. Learn them. Consider removing your mouse for a week as forced training.

- Use timer software to give yourself breaks every 15-20 minutes.

- Next time you go diving, bring some 100% and breath it after the dive. Less pain? You're probably getting bent.

Personally, I don't like trackballs. YMMV.

-Brett
    Last edited by zbskii; 18th June 2009 at 01:48. Reason: More ideas.

RBW Member dlh is an unknown quantity at this point dlh's Avatar

I am a big fan of the track ball! I've been swearing by my old Microsoft trackball for about 10 years. Try one out for a month as see how it works for you.

I've also taken the step of removing the arm rest from my chair when I found I was leaning on my ELBOW too much. After a month or two of that I was able to change my posture and get out of that habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    Use a trackball. Works a magic. A lot more precise, comfortable and avoids micro injuries which can be a nightmare to heal and very easy to strain. I spend an average of 15 hours a day with it.

Logitech Trackman, simply the best.

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Hi again

Thank you for your input so far, I will go beat up my boss untill he orders a trackball mouse for me... :)

Does anyone have any comments regarding a injured elbow like described, will be prone to DCS?

/Christian

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    Hi again

Thank you for your input so far, I will go beat up my boss untill he orders a trackball mouse for me... :)

Does anyone have any comments regarding a injured elbow like described, will be prone to DCS?

/Christian

Hey, just think of he trackball as dive safety equipment!

The recommendation to try breathing some O2 after a dive to see if it alleviates some or all of the pain is a good one. My wife has a lot of titanium in her elbow and always experienced pain afer diving (OC) which we attributed to exercise. After moving to nitrox she has never experienced the pain again. Depends on the nature of the injury, the impact on circulation, etc, etc. A classic YMMV.

Hi Again

Thank you for your replies. As you can see on the picture, my boss lost the fight and I got my trackball mouse. I will see how it goes and post my experience with the mouse when I have used it for a while...

ATB

Christian
    Attached Images

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

No problem, hope it helps.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast