+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: TYPE 1 Pain Only Hit

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Re: TYPE 1 Pain Only Hit

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    We used headphones too - the problem was you could clearly hear interference from the diesel through the doppler. God forbid if you moved the sensor a tenth of a mm - it would generate some noise in the headphones that would make your eardrums meet in the middle.

I'm just going to assume the units we had were shit, and there have been some advances in the past decade.
    The ones I've heard are very hard to interpret... You really need training and a lot of experience to figure out what's going on...

Another option is to send the sound file to someone who is capable of interpreting it and have them get back to you...... Use a sound jack cord from the Doppler to a handheld digital recorder to get the recording...

Richie

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

You need a good unit, not the small hand held units. Otherwise, the background noise really washes out the sound.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post
    The ones I've heard are very hard to interpret... You really need training and a lot of experience to figure out what's going on...

Another option is to send the sound file to someone who is capable of interpreting it and have them get back to you...... Use a sound jack cord from the Doppler to a handheld digital recorder to get the recording...

Richie
    Kinda makes it hard for the layman to use successfully post dive then I guess.

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Kinda makes it hard for the layman to use successfully post dive then I guess.
    That's been my experience....

Richie

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

In medicine many things are all about learning what "normal" is. This takes experience and training to recognize. A good way to get experience with a doppler is learning what normal is. Play with it, on the boat on the way out, when there should be no bubbles. Use a little KY, or surgi-lube or any similar product (go ahead and laugh), and place the probe on areas where you would find pulses (you all took the rescue course and/or CPR, right?) If you do it correctly, yo should be able to hear the pulse with the doppler. You will hear other sounds too, anytime the probe moves there is a distinctive static type sound. Dopplers are pretty easy to use, there are WAV files available on the internet of different grades of bubbling found on doppler.

I believe that Saturation on this site, carries a portable unit on dive boats and checks people routinely.

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post
    That's been my experience....

Richie

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by babar  View Original Post
    Dopplers are pretty easy to use, there are WAV files available on the internet of different grades of bubbling found on doppler.

I believe that Saturation on this site, carries a portable unit on dive boats and checks people routinely.
    What would be the approximate cost of a unit, and is it really practical for divers without formal medical training to own and operate them?

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    What would be the approximate cost of a unit, and is it really practical for divers without formal medical training to own and operate them?
    Well it depends how they are being used. They are not/should not be used to diagnose bends, because they don't. I've heard of divers using them to "tune" their deco profiles and conservatism. If you get out of a dive, feel fine and no bubbles - good. If you get out, feel fine, lots of bubbles - maybe up the safety factor a little.

The units that are most commonly used are sold to pregnant moms to listen to the baby heart sounds. I just did a quick ebay search and there are many available for less than 100 US.

RBW Member saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Since I have never seen a Doppler instrument just lying around a dive boat minding its own business maybe you might expand upon how this can be accomplished. Equipment, Cost, Accuracy, Procedure.

Additionally, if you have been doing this what and settled upon a baseline schedule for a dive. Have you done any testing on this baseline over multiple trials to determine and/or verify the variability of the results based upon the factors that effect the onset of DCS like hydration as well as others?

Maybe starting a seperate thread to answer would be good.

John
    Happy to add when my time eases. Dr Barbar's, and others input about its use I concur. Here are the details, from discussion with Simon Mitchell back in 6/2007 with Gene Hobbs references, that go through the pluses and minuses in using the tool. You can use my name as the start off point for reading, but the entire thread is seminal, as it touches also on the validity of deep stops.

The Deco Stop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6