+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Drysuit inflation with a rebreather

RBW Member grunzster is an unknown quantity at this point grunzster's Avatar
    Not diving bubbless, no plans to in the future, and trying to cut back on web use, so no longer here

Drysuit inflation with a rebreather

I'm going to be training on the SK sometime this season.

I'm going to get the Salvo Argon first stage, and I'll mount the rig on my plate with the single piece of webbing and bungie method.

What bottle should I get?

I was thinking, since I'll only be using air for dil, for a while to just get a 3000psi 6cf Al tank, and just use air, instead of argon?

Decodiver

Re: Drysuit inflation with a rebreather

Royal Navy tests showed that Argon was only any good if heated.

Go with the air, you will have no problems.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    Royal Navy tests showed that Argon was only any good if heated.

Go with the air, you will have no problems.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.
    The study that I saw was flawed in that the suits were not flushed..

From lots of cold water experience and using argon,

a) when the undergarments arent thoroughly fushed with argon,it makes little difference..

b) when the proper flush is done and the garments are saturated with argon, there is definatey a perceptabe dfference..

I have a 40ct ft bottle that I carry to do my drysuit flushes.. it takes a few really good purges (fill drysuit, then vent gas and repeat) to get the air in the undergarments replaced with argon..
    the fluffier the udergraments are the mre fushing that is necessary but the more oticible the change is..
    Last edited by jradomski; 3rd January 2006 at 20:59. Reason: spelling
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grunzster
    I'm going to get the Salvo Argon first stage, and I'll mount the rig on my plate with the single piece of webbing and bungie method.
    I was thinking, since I'll only be using air for dil, for a while to just get a 3000psi 6cf Al tank, and just use air, instead of argon?
    I have a 1.5L/200bar ali bottle - I'll have to let you translate the numbers.
    I use real argon in the winter. It doesn't make you feel any warmer but it seems to delay the time when the cold really starts to get annoying. I have only dived in freshwater-icing conditions never sub-zero salt.

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Just use air and purchase good underwear (weezle). Get a 13 cf alum tank and it'll last for the weekend.

SiegeEngine II Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon has a reputation beyond repute Mdemon's Avatar

What are people's views on O2-rich DS gas, thermal-wise?

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Air is good. If you don't thoroughly flush your suit you'll see more benefits having good underwear VS using argon with the same underwear. 6cft is what I use with Techdiving Limited Suit inflation integrated first stage/valve (part# reg1-argon-air): compact, very balanced, you can refill on your own tank or sneak & grab a few cft on OC tanks.
    Best
    Philippe

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN
    If you don't thoroughly flush your suit...
    I've never actually bothered with the flush other than a check to see it's inflating. The suit tends to squeeze up a bit bouncing up and down at the top of the shot at 1bar so by the time I'm down to 6bar kind of depth I'm probably getting down towards 10% air anyway. I guess if I was diving shallow it would probably matter more.

New Member IDS_Bill is an unknown quantity at this point IDS_Bill's Avatar

I used a 6cf bottle on a 230fsw OC trimix dive and finished a 72min dive with 800psi left. Next time I will have a 14cf tank. 6cf should be fine for rec dives under an hour but I would have a backup the first few dives until you nail down your consumption rate.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Mdemon
    What are people's views on O2-rich DS gas, thermal-wise?
    Whenever I carry deco gas at least one mix will be 50% or less. I have used 50% in my DS with no noticable difference than using air. I don't find argon to provide any greater insulation.
    My recreational config uses bailout gas 30cf doubling as suit inflation and I use dil for wing inflation.
    Carrying an extra cylinder/1st stage for argon is a waste of time IMHO
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast