+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would You?

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Would You?

I've been presented an opportunity to get a Boris at a reasonable price. The only thing is I can't afford to have two rigs at the moment. I love my Meg but I've always looked at the Boris as the king of rebreathers but the price has made it a unattainable for me. I pretty sure I all ready know what my decision is but I just thought I'd throw the question out there for my fellow RB divers.

Would you switch?

Scott

Divetart Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs's Avatar

Re: Would You?

I'd ask myself, "will it do anything my Meg wont?" Then "what are the safety records of the two units", then I'd consider if I could justify spending the money....

Then I'd go with my heart

You know your own answer... ;)

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Quote Originally Posted by Smudgegs  View Original Post
    I'd ask myself, "will it do anything my Meg wont?" Then "what are the safety records of the two units", then I'd consider if I could justify spending the money....

Then I'd go with my heart

You know your own answer... ;)
    Well...I've never seen a Boris. I'm thinking I might say with the Meg but my mind could change once I go and look at the Boris. I haven't heard of and fatal incidents on the Boris yet but I don't think there is all that many out there.

RBW Member NorthWoodsDiver is an unknown quantity at this point NorthWoodsDiver's Avatar

I saw one in person at a show, its an impressive machine but it looked overly complicated with fittings and hoses. I talked to some people who have dove with or around the Boris and I didn't get any praise of the machine other then scrubber longevity over some other CCR's. There are several other breathers I personally would buy before I even considered one.

You might be better off just buying some upgrades for your meg, thats a very capable machine and from what limited experience I have around it I was still impressed with it.

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by sensor330  View Original Post
    I've been presented an opportunity to get a Boris at a reasonable price. The only thing is I can't afford to have two rigs at the moment. I love my Meg but I've always looked at the Boris as the king of rebreathers but the price has made it a unattainable for me. I pretty sure I all ready know what my decision is but I just thought I'd throw the question out there for my fellow Rebreather divers.

Would you switch?

Scott

Would I switch? No.

RBW Member robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante's Avatar
    HammerMeg, Sidemount Prism,

HammerMk15, LARV, Kiss

I wouldn't switch. The Meg is a perfectly good rig, even with its flaws. I quite like mine, but I'd tell you the same thing if you had an Inspiration, or Prism, or Revo, or most any other unit out there. Or if you had a Boris and wanted to get a Meg. You'd be laying out a ton of money and time, just to get a different perfectly good rig with a different set of flaws. If money was no object then I'd say have at it, since playing around with different rigs is fun. But since you said that's not the case I wouldn't do it.

As for the King of Rebreathers, it doesn't exist. Not a one of them. They're all just tools. Dangerous, fun, expensive, fiddly tools.

Love the one you're with.

Petri Keskitalo P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3's Avatar

How many times have you sent your electronics back to the factory with your meg? Now multiply that by seven, and you are a Boris owner. If you can afford to keep your meg, go for it. Otherwise you will be missing dives in the future. And you will for sure be missing your meg..

Another Dilligaf Diver nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer's Avatar

As for the King of Rebreathers, it doesn't exist. Not a one of them. They're all just tools. Dangerous, fun, expensive, fiddly tools.

Love the one you're with.

Damn good answer, I'll second that!

Regards...Paul

RBW Member Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

MEG (COPIS II)

Would I change? No. Not in a million zillion years. The Boris is friggin huge. And ugly. I've known people miss dives because of them or get caustic cocktails and wish they'd miss dives.

IMO the Boris is overly complicated and under designed. It will allow you to achieve nothing you can't do with your Meg. It is not modular like your Meg so you'll be able to make fewer changes / incorporate fewer options / upgrades. It won't do anything *good* that you Meg doesn't do already.

I bought a COPIS II and so far I have:

Plumbed in a Shearwater for online GF deco, switched to a radial scrubber, put a longer can on it, changed cylinder sizes several times, put off board O2 on it, added a FFM, put a Kent Tooling trim weight / carry handle on it and next week I hope to switch to BMCL's and then when it's released I'm going to get the ISC BOV.

How many of those Mods are possible on a Boris?

RBW Member jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver's Avatar
    Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dobson  View Original Post
    How many of those Mods are possible on a Boris?
    But how many would be needed on a Boris? ;)

No, I'd not switch either (from my Sentinel).

:)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast