+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sport KISS hose routing

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar

Sport KISS hose routing

See Pics in gallery of the front and back of my Sport Kiss.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/galle....php?i=239&c=4
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/galle....php?i=238&c=4

Discussion moved here cos gallery comments system is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Need to think about shorter hoses and neater lay-out to reduce snags, plus rule #6 too

Those Hp hoses are standard length ones. They are not long enough to go over the shoulder. I cant decide whether to go with short hoses and route round the sides, or go for long ones and go over the shoulder. i also need to get a green boot for the O2 gauge so there is no visual confusion between O2 and dil gauges.

Whats rule #6?

I also need to get shorter LP inflator hose as all the hoses i have are too long or too short. You can see the effect in the second pic.

What else would you change? When it is on there is nothing to snag. This is standard DIR harness config with the exception of the right D ring to clip off the Kiss valve (which comes under the right arm) and the shoulder pads (which makes it more comfortable, and somewhere to route OTS hoses should I decide to go that way)

How about a pic of your rig...?

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy M
    Those Hp hoses are standard length ones. They are not long enough to go over the shoulder. I cant decide whether to go with short hoses and route round the sides, or go for long ones and go over the shoulder.
    I have been using tanks upright and inverted on my rigs.

For the tank upright set-up, I use the shorter (22") HP hose similar to what I use on OC. So the hose barely cross over the fully inflated wing to clip at the waist D-ring.

For the inverted tank set-up, I use the longer HP hoses used in the Inspiration so it will travel up between the tank and scrubber, cross over the shoulder, down the chest along the webbing and clip to the waist D-ring.

If you use real short hose and cross horizontally across the wing, I would think the chance of entanglement is increased.

i also need to get a green boot for the O2 gauge so there is no visual confusion between O2 and dil gauges.
    I don't really think that is necessary since you have 1 tank and 1 SPG on each side. If you can't remember which side the O2 is, you are in bigger trouble...

If you do, either use "rich is right" or associate the O2 manual O2 button with the right side (O2 tank on right) and inflator button on left (diluent tank on left)

Whats rule #6?
    I am not fluent in modern DIR'ese so I might be wrong, but I believe rule #6 is you have to look good/cool...

I also need to get shorter LP inflator hose as all the hoses i have are too long or too short. You can see the effect in the second pic.
    I shorten mine to length using one of the LP retrofit adapter.

What else would you change?
    I also use shorter O2 hoses to the orifice housing. It goes over the right shoulder and rest in the same height as the wing inflator on the left shoulder. I want to be able to access either valves with either hand. It helps when you scooter...

How about a pic of your rig...?
    Will do in a day or so when I help to set up a couple of other people's rigs up for their class.

Sporty, Spritely KISSer nl_carey is an unknown quantity at this point nl_carey's Avatar
    Sorry, I don't have terribly good pics, but the pics that Chris has put up may give you an idea.
    What we are doing here in Australia so far is standard length HP hoses, routed up and over the shoulder. There implementations differ, I use the standard DIR inner-tube retaining system, however the spgs extend below the chest D-rings, which is messy. When I have time (after I get some more shakedown dives done over this weekend) I will be using the DIR SPG clip method and clipping the spg to the chest D-ring, with a bit of slack so it doesn't get in the way of clipping other things. The slack in the hose should be happy next to the wing, as long as you have something holding it in place at the top of the shoulder (a la inner tube metioned before).
    KISS valve is a problem, two people have swapped out the stainless hose for custom-length O2 cleaned rubber hose, enabling you to set it up to be just about the chest D-ring, which is what Kim does.
    I'm thinking about trying out the valve-upright concept on my RB to help in trim (I use 2.7L catalinas and an aluminium plate which make it pretty heads-up without trim weights, which are a pain) which will through all this out the window, and require me to O2 clean my dil tank, which means I'll probably soldier on for a while longer seeing if I can be happy with the standard config.

Sporty, Spritely KISSer nl_carey is an unknown quantity at this point nl_carey's Avatar
    Oh, and if those are Mares SPG's in the picture - I have them too and they look much nicer IMHO if you cut (I couldn't peel them off) the yucky plastic bits off. I don't have a digicam otherwise I'd take pics for you. Unfortunately they are just too big to fit through my chest d-rings, which would have been very nice.

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nl_carey
    Sorry, I don't have terribly good pics, but the pics that Chris has put up may give you an idea.
    What we are doing here in Australia so far is standard length HP hoses, routed up and over the shoulder.
    I found the standard length hoses too short, as the SPGs are too close to be able to see properly when on the loop (it gets in the way of seeing the gauges). They are scubapro ones, not Mares as you guessed.

There implementations differ, I use the standard DIR inner-tube retaining system, however the spgs extend below the chest D-rings, which is messy.
    The DIR rig has a D-ring each side middle of the shoulder and an optional D-ring half way down to the backplate (frowned on in some circles!). I prefer this way as I can mount my 7L stage nicely, but i have had problems with half empty stages floating butt upwards a little and banging against my dil cylinder.

KISS valve is a problem, two people have swapped out the stainless hose for custom-length O2 cleaned rubber hose, enabling you to set it up to be just about the chest D-ring, which is what Kim does.
    Hmm, my KISS valve is clipped to the lower D-ring on the right and routed under the arm, between the wing and the body. works a treat, stays out the way, yet it is always where I expect it to be. I tried it with a canister torch mounted on my right hand side, and a lighthead clipped to the right shoulder D-ring. It works, as far as I can see, with no sticky outy bits. My only problem at present is the SPGs. I will try and get some pictures taken, with the rig on.

I'm thinking about trying out the valve-upright concept on my RB to help in trim
    Will you be able to reach the valves? Seeing as Sport KISS is quite wide, you'd have to reach further over than you would on a normal 12L twinset. I am fairly sure I wouldnt be able to bend that far across :)

Andy

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Will you be able to reach the valves? Seeing as Sport KISS is quite wide, you'd have to reach further over than you would on a normal 12L twinset. I am fairly sure I wouldnt be able to bend that far across :)

Andy
    MUCH easier!

Rotate the tanks by 45-degree toward the front on each respective side allows you to reach them even on land where gravity is working against you. When u/w, it is not even a reach...

I found the standard length hoses too short, as the SPGs are too close to be able to see properly when on the loop (it gets in the way of seeing the gauges). They are scubapro ones, not Mares as you guessed.
    That's interesting, we use standard SPG hoses and they are a bit too long! Part of the reason for it is using standard hoses as much as possible. And though there are scubapro, I'd be willing to be they are made by the same OEM, or at least the plastic bit is. One side effect is that the SPG now sometimes smacks against my bailout tank with a clang that is slightly disconcerting

The DIR rig has a D-ring each side middle of the shoulder and an optional D-ring half way down to the backplate (frowned on in some circles!). I prefer this way
    I try to keep my BP pretty much DIR.

Hmm, my KISS valve is clipped to the lower D-ring on the right and routed under the arm, between the wing and the body. works a treat, stays out the way, yet it is always where I expect it to be. I tried it with a canister torch mounted on my right hand side, and a lighthead clipped to the right shoulder D-ring. It works, as far as I can see, with no sticky outy bits. My only problem at present is the SPGs. I will try and get some pictures taken, with the rig on.
    I try to avoid having things routed underneath the arm, if I can. No real reason aside from personal preference, I envision myself putting a stage bottle there sometime in the future, and don't want to be reaching around bottles to get to the addition. Though I guess it is pretty much a right hand side version of the 'SPG clipped to left d-ring' thing of DIR.

Phi - did you need a range of custom hoses with the upright tanks? I'd be keen to know what your hose routing is like...

Phi - did you need a range of custom hoses with the upright tanks? I'd be keen to know what your hose routing is like...
    I will get off my lazy a$$ and snap some pictures of the rig soon'ish, but here are the hose configuration:

Left side is the diluent with the 22" HP SPG hose (easily get from a Halcyon supplier) that I use on OC rig, shorten LP hoses for wing and to ADV. It should be very simple to get an adapter from AP-Valve (for example) to shorten the LP hose to any length. It takes 5 minutes to make this shorten adjustment...

I put a high-flow T adapter just before the ADV inlet to connect the LP hose to the bail-out DSV. This eliminates a curve since this hose simply follows/connects along the exhalation hose to the DSV.

Right side is the O2 with same 22" HP SPG hose. I use a short LP hose to feed into the orifice housing, but you could change the SS hose to one that is shorter than the original hose easily - just get one from Swage-Lok. The orifice housing rests over my shoulder in the same height as the wing inflator (on the other side) and both are reachable with either hand.

I put a high-flow T adapter just before the ADV inlet to connect the LP hose to the bail-out DSV. This eliminates a curve since this hose simply follows/connects along the exhalation hose to the DSV.
    I dont understand this. LP hose for what? your wing? What curve are you eliminating

So you are in effect using T adaptors on the ADV inlet as a dil manifold? nice idea!

For the inverted tank set-up, I use the longer HP hoses used in the Inspiration so it will travel up between the tank and scrubber, cross over the shoulder, down the chest along the webbing and clip to the waist D-ring.
    Aha. I have no waist D ring. I shall have to add one on the right. I dont want to put one on the left, as my canister torch threads over the waist band. It looks like I will need to order a pair of long HP hoses.

But, however, I am finding the canister torch too long (because the Sport KISS is short), so may mount this upside down to the backplate instead and therefore can put a waist D-ring on the right. Sounds like a plan for buying more bits

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast