+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solomon Islands 2005

Confectioner to N@90 Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou's Avatar

Solomon Islands 2005

Hi All!

Just to let you know that PeteS's article on his trip to the Solomon's earlier on this year is now up and running in the library section. Many thanks Pete for letting us use the article on RBW :D

Pete's article can be found HERE

There are a couple of photos attached to the article; however, there are many more on Pete's site and can be found HERE

Many thanks

Lou

Decodiver

Thumbs up Re: Solomon Islands 2005

Hi Stegs,

I visited Tulagi in October 2004, we had a great time.

The only real criticism I have is that the food at the hotel was dog-awful.

We did all the dives you mentionned, the Aaron Ward, in particular, is an awesome dive, and I believe, the only diveable USS Destroyer lost in combat.

Just swimming around the wreck, you can see she was fighting all the way down.

3 of us, Gary Allison, the sorely missed Penny Glover and myself solo dived the USS Atlanta, that was awesome.

We had some great diving, and I would go back again.

Hopefully by now, some of the logistical problems that we experienced will have been remedied.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

I finished it once, but.. PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Re: Solomon Islands 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    The only real criticism I have is that the food at the hotel was dog-awful.
    Agreed, but I didn't get the shits, and it is, as they say "the only show in town"! We would have loved to have got into the kitchen saying "FFS, cook it like this!!"

3 of us, Gary Allison, the sorely missed Penny Glover and myself solo dived the USS Atlanta, that was awesome.
    The Atlanta is next target. With the camera of course.

Hopefully by now, some of the logistical problems that we experienced will have been remedied.
    What problems were they? Gas? Sofno? Getting stuff through the airport?
    Last edited by PeteS; 30th December 2005 at 08:28.

1 Grumpy ole skipper Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle's Avatar
    Classic KISS, Sentinel

SCR - CCR Dolphin

Good article Pete, captured the essence, raw & un-spoilt i would have & did say but it's the diving we go for aye & I am sure Neil will appreciate your call.:D
    Dave the food has improved since then with a new cook , what was the logistical problems if I may inquire. As I go there each year & have Neils ear,
    I can pass it on when I get the "what do you reckon" ----whether he likes it or not.

Decodiver

Logistically the problems were that we had no sofno when we arrived and only 4 Js of He that were supposed to do 7 of us for 10 days diving!!

And they had been left over from a year before and weren't all that full.

Neil had DraegerSorb and wanted us to use that to dive the Atlanta, I put him right on that straight away!

I sorted out delivery of the sofno through Jason Blackwell in OZ (a million thank yous), and then went about making the He last enough for the all the divers, fortunately my wing was run off a 2 litre of air, so I was getting 4 days diving out of a 3 litre diluent.

Apart from that it was good. Neil is a really nice guy, it was absolutely hilarious watching him shot the Atlanta.

He said, "Right out the way everyone keep quiet, this is where I do my bit."

He then shotted the wreck, it was only as the end of the shot went in and I saw that the buoy was a 4kg sofno tub!!

I almost pissed myself as it went straight under, Neil dived off the boat and tried to get it back in vain!

We then went to the Yacht Club in Honiara and he comes back with a breeze block saying he is going to use that as the shot weight. (I'm thinking you knob!)

There's me thinking, Sod That! I'm the one tying in, if it's HMS Seabed I aint gonna do the Atlanta.

So I sod off for some proper squaddie thieving and return with a metal bar stool that I turn into a grapnel and a proper weight.

40 minutes later I am tying the shot in at 115 metres lovely!!!!

I didn't get the trots with the food, it was just the blandist tripe I've ever had, and believe me, I've eaten some crap in my time.

Pete, if you get some good images of the Atlanta you should be able to sell them to dive magazines AFAIK there are no underwater images of the Atlanta in existence.

Here's me decompressing after the Atlanta dive.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.
    Last edited by Decodiver; 30th December 2005 at 08:53.

I finished it once, but.. PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS is a name known to all PeteS's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Pete, if you get some good images of the Atlanta you should be able to sell them to dive magazines AFAIK there are no underwater images of the Atlanta in existence.
    No existing images is my understanding........

Trip coming soon;)

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

We did all the dives you mentionned, the Aaron Ward, in particular, is an awesome dive, and I believe, the only diveable USS Destroyer lost in combat.
    There are other DDs that are diveable, such as the USS JACOB JONES off Delaware (US) and the USS MEREDITH off Normandy (FR).
    The USS STURTEVANT was also lost in WWII, but due to an Allied mine off Florida (US).

Decodiver

That's answered that then..........:D :D :D

RBW Member Def will become famous soon enough Def will become famous soon enough Def will become famous soon enough Def will become famous soon enough Def's Avatar

I am still getting blammed for the shaving am I Peter ... tsk tsk !